When do Red Dragons spawn?

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
StijnDP

When do Red Dragons spawn?

Postby StijnDP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:25 am

So I started my first game yesterday easy - long. The raiding parties were dark elfs but when my fame was something around 300 suddenly the raiding party became 3 gigantic Red Dragons, and I really mean gigantic because the 3 of them didn't even fit on my screen. So off course I got slaughtered over and over and over and over ... (I was level 3!).
End result: Only 3 of my 15villagers alive, fame dropped to 4 (lucky they left right then) and I didn't kill 1 dragon. But I wasn't mad for it, I tought it was just the game mechanics who send different mobs depending on your fame instead of your character level.

So I restarted building with the few money I had and it was all going to be good. Yet only a few minutes later I had the same 3 red dragons come and rape me over again! So that's where my first game ended and I started wondering what I did wrong to go from easiest game ever straight to impossible challenge.

[Tom]

Postby [Tom] » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:01 am

Never happened to me before - only easy raiding partys... I could imagine that you had the bad luck, that there were only two strongholds: one weak with dark elves and one really strong with red dragons.

After you defeated (?) the DE stronghold, every raiding party now had to start from the dragon stronghold... ;)

Miut

Postby Miut » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:51 am

Just the luck of the RNG, I'm afraid. :( You can turn off Raids, you know. It doesn't really lessen the challenge in a Long game, but does mean you aren't dashing back every few minutes to fight Raiders.

I dunno if it would work, but you could try taking all the villagers with you.. then no one in town to kill?

Or, reroll the map. The beauty of the game is it IS random, so you aren't cheating if you reroll. :D

Ashery

Postby Ashery » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 am

"Miut" wrote:I dunno if it would work, but you could try taking all the villagers with you.. then no one in town to kill?

Then the raiders drain your gold reserves ;p

But as was said above, just badluck with the generator wrt to getting a dragon stronghold.

Miut

Postby Miut » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:10 am

Hmmm, do they? Never tried it I have to admit. I prefer Raids off. :D

If when you level up you check the options by mousing over them - for each you get 1 choice for the Town and one for Combat, you will see some allow you to regain health anywhere, get extra food, get extra gold.. get extra loot... and if you Level Up on Pause, you got time to look at your 2 options and decide.

So other factors help your gold. Also you can set the Craftman to Sell, same with the Herbalist and Doctor and Witch. Once you get past a certain level of sites, you get better that the basic armor and shields and helm that he can make, anyway. So you are making money from your villagers too. You can only do that if you have a Merchant, though.

StijnDP

Postby StijnDP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:48 pm

I didn't defeat the DE stronghold so don't know why the dragons came after me. And I don't mind the "bad luck" of getting red dragons on me but I wonder why it had to happen when I'm level 4 and why there had to be 3 of them :/
It's moment like those, little kids freak out and smash their keyboards so TM should really check into it :p

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:58 pm

I was similar but didn't lose any villagers. Easy long game but the ?2nd raiders and from then on were all red dragons, I'm currently at level 4 but cannot build up my fame as it keeps dropping from getting killed by the dragons. I'm currently on 142 fame so not too bad but am in an endless cycle of go out to loot, raiders, go home, get killed, fame drops, rerinse and recycle etc....... That said I absolutely love this game, its the first RPG i have ever played. Have played a few FPS but no RPG's so this is novel and entertaining for me. Maybe its time to go back to no raiders but then it is more interesting with raiders. :)

Return to “General Discussion”