Useless Followers

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Zawath

Useless Followers

Postby Zawath » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:26 pm

My biggest problem with the game is that some followers are just totally useless. For example, the high priest is much worse than the acolyte because his blessing spell just isn't very effective.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Actually, I find the High Priest's in-town prayers work quite well in boosting production, speeding in-town healing, or giving a better chance of getting enchanted items.

In Hinterland, the usefulness of a character class all really depends on what situation you get in a game.

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

"Zawath" wrote:My biggest problem with the game is that some followers are just totally useless. For example, the high priest is much worse than the acolyte because his blessing spell just isn't very effective.

Keep the high priest at home and have him research until you get God Of Protection or Sun God. Then tell him to use one of them by clicking "Stop research and Pray instead", the first one gives your character a big defence boost. The second one gives you a boost to the health regen across the whole world, I think it affects everyone in the party too. You're right though, the bless is pretty useless when compared to the Light Priests heal.

crossmr

Postby crossmr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:40 am

This comes from a terrible balance issue in the game. If you lose a follower mid-game forget about having another combat follower unless you want to spend massive gold on them. It becomes very difficult to level them, as there is no where to really level them unless you want to hang out at home and wait for those raiders to come.
and that is going to be extremely tedious

The game desperately needs some slightly more advanced AI and a way to train followers passively. witches and wizards will quickly pull any monster directly to them which means if they're not a high level they're going to get smoked or run away really quickly since they won't back off and get range. I'd like to see a situation where if a range character is attacked (bow, spell) a melee character will rush in between them and engage the monster allowing the range character to back off (just as an automatic thing for melee followers)

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Combat followers mid game are replaceable, assuming you have good equipment. You need to remember that people level much faster if they're fighting people higher level than they are. If you take a level 2 guard and start fighting level 5/6 enemies, he'll hit level 4 very fast. Just make sure the new guy is focused on defence rather than attack, and keep feeding him heals til he hits a good level.

I agree on the mages though, you have the same problem with Archers. They draw mobs like crazy and it's really tough to keep them alive. Combined with the fact that they don't seem to do much better damage than melee types, I found the game's much easier if you don't bother with them at all. I think that if they don't want to change the AI like you suggest, they should at least boost their effectiveness. Giving the Mages area of effect attacks would be good start, or letting their magic do status effects like Stun or Freeze.

crossmr

Postby crossmr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:28 pm

Leveling faster doesn't help if they're dead in 1 or 2 hits. If the mobs you are facing are level 8 or higher (in a mid to long game) its really tough to replace a combat follower. You might have to sit there and keep advertising until you get someone around 6 or 7. Its not really a matter of defense its a matter of life.

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:34 pm

That's true, I was putting level 8 or 9 more late game than mid. Personally I always exit if a high level follower gets nuked at that stage. Unless you have dragons, I took a level 1 dragoneer with a 20th level dragon into two 9 star zones and he survived just fine, he was leve 5 afterwards. I was probably just lucky that he didn't draw any fire though.

Hansey

Postby Hansey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:51 pm

"Gerblyn" wrote:I took a level 1 dragoneer with a 20th level dragon into two 9 star zones and he survived just fine, he was leve 5 afterwards. I was probably just lucky that he didn't draw any fire though.

I always equip my Dragoneers with bows for this reason. The high level dragon goes into close combat, while the lower level dragoneer safely stays out of the line of fire. I have yet to see them draw any aggro from monsters with this method. It seems that it's only the wizards (maybe witches too) that immediately draw monsters to them with their ranged attacks.

Baxder

Postby Baxder » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:43 am

"crossmr" wrote:This comes from a terrible balance issue in the game.

I disagree. This aspect of the game adds tremendous balance and realism, given the time period it's supposed to take place in and your position in the world of the time. If nothing else, the loss of a powerful character forces you to re-think your strategy for the short-run until you can hire or train a replacement, which is perfectly realistic. Until you can replace him, you have to re-think your combat tactics or bring on someone else who can fill in, which is great for balance.

I for one am thrilled for this break from cookie-cutter strategy games in which you can just "build" a unit as long as you have the resources to do so. This element of play adds great strategic and tactical challenge, both of which should be the heart of any decent sim or strategy game. Kudos to the Mill!

I couldn't agree more with your second point, by the way!

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:50 am

I have so much gold by mid game, if my combat followers die I can usually buy a higher level on easily.

magnemoe

Postby magnemoe » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:42 am

Found that I usually get some redundant level 4-6 people, if I get a high level farmer or similar with good combat skills I hire them and use them as a reserve.
What is the punishment for kicking out people? Has been thinking about kicking out some low level people and adding high level one.

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:51 am

"Hansey" wrote:I always equip my Dragoneers with bows for this reason. The high level dragon goes into close combat, while the lower level dragoneer safely stays out of the line of fire. I have yet to see them draw any aggro from monsters with this method. It seems that it's only the wizards (maybe witches too) that immediately draw monsters to them with their ranged attacks.

Odd that you mention that, I actually had two dragoneers and I thought the same as you. I gave him a bow and he was rushed by a mob within the first 3 minutes of fighting :(

radio_babylon

Postby radio_babylon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:35 pm

if you dont give a dragoneer any weapon at all, ie just leave the slot blank, will they just stand there and do nothing, or will they try to punch stuff to death?

heck, can you even leave the weapon slot empty? ive never tried it...

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm

I noticed some of the level 1 bandits are unarmed and they come up to you and try and box you, I'm pretty sure a herder would do the same...

radio_babylon

Postby radio_babylon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:01 am

"Gerblyn" wrote:I noticed some of the level 1 bandits are unarmed and they come up to you and try and box you, I'm pretty sure a herder would do the same...

well thats no good :( there needs to be an option on the follower screen (the one that says "come adventuring") that allows you to toggle agression, just like you can for town defense...

hoetz

Flee Button

Postby hoetz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 am

I'm not sure if this fits in here but it would be great to have a hotkey which causes your party members to flee back to the village. As it is now, I have to click on the portrait and on the "back to town" dialogue.

Return to “General Discussion”