Mod Utility?

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Bolgo The Madd

Mod Utility?

Postby Bolgo The Madd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:29 pm

I really wish I could get into the game.
I'm itching to mod some new King Requests...
I'll do the expansion for free.

MrCuddlyTiger

Postby MrCuddlyTiger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:41 pm

As am I.

I'm more interested in the graphics modding aspects. A lot of things can already be changed, but the shaders are script files... so not much you can do there.

I personally didn't care for the grass in the game when I first played. So I changed all of the grass and some of the trees.

One thing I will say though... the scale of the base textures used for the terrain is too big... they need to tile more. Cuz they just look so much more pixelated than the rest of the textures that it makes things look like they float over the ground... even with the detail texture.

I'm all for an SDK for this game!

Bolgo The Madd

Postby Bolgo The Madd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:43 pm

I just love scripting quests and missions.

Solice

Postby Solice » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:29 pm

I wonder how feasible modding is considering the approach Tilted Mill is taking to developing Hinterland. There is no denying that mods and user created content are a big benefit to pc gaming, as a community can create more content in less time than any developer ever could. Anyone who doubts this go take a look at how many maps are available for Starcraft or Battle for Middle Earth, or COTN.

In this case however, with TM releasing additional content at a lower price, I have to wonder if supporting modding might conflict with their business. Would as many people buy the Alexandria mission pack if they could get the Great Lighthouse and Great Library free with a mod? Would it even be possible for a user to create that? Just a few questions I was wondering, lemme know what you think.

Yonder

Postby Yonder » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:51 am

I don't mind the lack of modding tools if new content is released is planned immediately following release. I can completely understand wanting to have more of a baseline before handing the reigns over to the user community.

Once the developer starts to move on to other things, however, the mod tools are necessary to really lengthen the lifetime and user base of the game.

(This is just my view, however, I've never been too heavy into mods. I'm sure someone that was more into it would want the tools as soon as possibly, and others may not care about ever getting them at all.

Return to “General Discussion”