First Free Content Update Released!

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Reed

First Free Content Update Released!

Postby Reed » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:09 pm

The next time you log into Steam it will automatically download and apply the first free Content Update to the game. Enjoy!

The Free Content Update includes:
Two new character types you can play as - The Elf Archer and the Dwarf Warrior
Creature-specific item drops - Rare and unique items, (e.g. Troll Blood) that give the character who consumes them permanent bonuses
Character Info Screen - Details your abilities, and gives information on the town in general
You can acquire resources through economic means - Dig a well for Fresh Water, plant Herbs, import Iron, etc.
Expanded character customization choices when leveling - Three ability choices instead of two with the third choice based on your character’s profession.
Item Sorting – Ability to automatically sort inventory items by type and relative power
Auto-equipping - Townspeople will automatically take items they can use from the town inventory periodically as needed (this can also be turned off if desired)
Miscellaneous balancing, pacing and usability improvements and refinements - made in response to player feedback

FULL CHANGELIST FOLLOWS:

New Features

• Added the Dwarf Warrior and Elf Archer character classes
  • New, multi-language version supports English, French, German and Spanish
  • Added an Info Screen (town info, lord's abilities, manor upgrade, town upgrades), available by clicking on your lord's portrait or home
  • Resources can be purchased (dig well, import iron, etc.) from the info screen
  • Lord abilities now show in the lord's profession icon tooltip
  • More ability choices with leveling (based on class, e.g. strong fighters have more combat-related choices, while strong administrators have more town-related choices)
  • Followers can be set to auto-equip from the town inventory
  • Button added to quickly sort inventory by item type, quality, and power
  • Follower Roster now sorted by profession
  • New, rare, creature-specific drops which give permanent bonuses
Bug Fixes

• Dwarf characters no longer always the redheaded dwarf
  • Hammers now give the crafting bonus to Craftsmen
  • Particle effect for the Exceptional Long Sword no longer be large blocks
  • Fixed a bug with foreign language OS users that caused problems creating saves and starting games
  • Loading a new game after exiting a completed game no longer shows Days Left
Balance Changes

• Hard difficulty level adjusted
  • Additional starting resources on the Easy difficulty level
  • Medium to late-game civilian items now drop later in the game
  • Added additional blood to critical hits
  • Added a camera shake when the player gets critically hit
Last edited by Reed on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pat D.

Postby Pat D. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Just downloaded it! Thanks Reed!

The character info screen is VERY nice!

Haven't played long enough to work w/ the sortable items button yet....

thanks again!

pat!

Westfield, Ma

Postby Westfield, Ma » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Sounds great can't wait to get out of work. Thanks for the effort.

walkstheplanes

Postby walkstheplanes » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Is there any way to play without the content update? My friend and I are competing, and he just one upped me with a pre-content update game, and I'd like to destroy his score when I get back home from work.

At worst, I can run steam in offline mode but if there's an ingame option, I'd like to know.

CustodianV131

Postby CustodianV131 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 pm

So far as I can see there's no ingame option not to use the update.

Also my game in progress was behaving badly with not showing the cost for the new dig well, import iron ect option as well as not displying skills.

New game I started didn't have those problems. Looks like current game might be corrupted a bit. Its looked like it was still playable though and may once I level the abilities will appear.

The character info screen is really nice and gives you a better overview of what you've acomplished. Have to play more to discover more and planning on doing just over the weekend :)

Nice work TM! Just in time for my holiday also! Great timing! :)

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Downloadibg right now!

radio_babylon

Postby radio_babylon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:32 pm

"walkstheplanes" wrote:Is there any way to play without the content update? My friend and I are competing, and he just one upped me with a pre-content update game, and I'd like to destroy his score when I get back home from work.

At worst, I can run steam in offline mode but if there's an ingame option, I'd like to know.

youre probably screwed this time, because i think it will update as soon as you launch steam... however, in the future, you can set games to not auto-update...

right click the game in the games list, and select properies. switch to the updates tab, and change the auto update option. this is also useful for other steam games when youre installing a non-steam patch that you dont want to get stomped on.

Mi-Go

Postby Mi-Go » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:47 pm

1.) unplug your network cable
2.) launch steam and set it to be offline
3.) launch Hinterland and plug back in whenever you want.

Mi-Go

magnemoe

Postby magnemoe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Tested it now, it works great. I liked the pay for resources, before I usually restarted if herbs were too hard to get access to, but other might not like it.

I’m not sure if I like the new king want access to resources quests. First one was impossible the graveyard was in the hardest area and I was level 2, so I took a large fame penalty.
Next one was stone who I had and the next was herbs I bought. It’s unbalanced after my opinion, too dangerous in the beginning and to easy at later levels.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Fantastic. just in time for my 2 1/2 week holiday!! :D Which started 1/2 hour ago - just finished a run of night duty so can now play, play, play.

LordFu

Postby LordFu » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:26 pm

You guys made my weekend. Thanks!

Edit: Wow, I'm getting a huge performance bump with this update, too. Nice work!
Last edited by LordFu on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corfe

Postby corfe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:35 pm

I can't wait to get home from work and try it out. :)

As my avatar might suggest, I'm most excited about the new town / economic features! :D

Ravenlock

Postby Ravenlock » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:00 am

I also had the problem with my game in-progress not displaying text in some places (buying resources and skills), but aside from that it seems to work great so far. Looking forward to starting a new round! Great work, guys!

Dave866

Postby Dave866 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:23 am

I am not seeing how to set followers to auto equip - can someone clue me in?

Ravenlock

Postby Ravenlock » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:55 am

"Dave866" wrote:I am not seeing how to set followers to auto equip - can someone clue me in?

Open up your followers page while in town - there are now two buttons at the bottom of the followers list. One sets auto-equipping, and one is a one-time "auto-equip now!" button.

Dave866

Postby Dave866 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks! I was clicking on the building vs. the followers button.

Michan

Postby Michan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:54 am

While the updates was great and much helped the game along there is still loads of stuff that in my oppinion should be added, more detailed numbers on health, dps, the class stats and for one but most important the ability to zoom in and out from your character, the defult range from your character bugs me alot. I want to zoom out so i can see atleast 5m more in each direction. And last quickkeys.

*edit* sorry i see that quickkeys are now working good :P my bad
Last edited by Michan on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:35 am

The autoequip works for every item, weapon, armour etc. so distribution cannot be choosen according to your needs, I would have liked an autoequip only for production tools.

utopdog22

Postby utopdog22 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanxs Tilted Mill you work fast. I was going to write a review, how long should i wait before i finish. It looks like anything I would post would be out date quickly.

GregB

Postby GregB » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:16 pm

I like the auto-equip. I just wish it was a little smarter. All my casters were throwing down their wands and grabbing halberds, and trading their robes for chain mail. My archer refused to keep his bow. Though in general people seem to favor improving their town effectiveness rather than their combat effectiveness when such a choice is necessary, which is the way I prefer it.

Return to “General Discussion”