Howto: More Mobs++

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
guru

Howto: More Mobs++

Postby guru » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 am

Ever get the feeling you can predict that every camp will have 5-11 monsters? Want to feel like an Everquest guru and stumble on camps with 2-25 monsters? Well here you go!

Instructions :

1.Start a game and choose the character you want. Once the map loads and you pick your starter benefits save the game.

2. Goto C:\Users\Youraccount\Documents\Tilted Mill\Hinterland\saves on your pc and open the file with your save characters name. ie ..character.SAV
(this file opens easily in notepad)

3. Once the file opens hit ctrl+f (which is find) and put in SpawnNumberRange and hit find/search.

4. In the spot it takes you to , where it says SpawnNumberRange = "5 7";
simply change the # from "5 7" or "6 11" or whatever it has shown and change it to a number you would like such as say SpawnNumberRange = 5 17
((selecting "5 17" means you will have from 5 - 17 mobs of varying levels))

5. You will see SpawnNumberRange in several places in your file. Adjust all of them and every single camp will have these changed amounts!

save the file.

Resume that character and enjoy , now camps will be filled to the rim!

Thetwodud

Postby Thetwodud » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:01 am

Woah, the entire save game is modifiable from that file. Jackpot!

Million thanks for the find.

guru

Postby guru » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:08 am

Yea i figured everyone knew weeks ago about sav file modding, but since I read so many complaint/suggestion/request posts on these forums, that are super easy to self adjust in those save files, I figured I'd lead the horses to water... per say. happy modding, you can alter your entire game from that sav file, drops, chests, mobs, items, rates of anything...

Thetwodud

Postby Thetwodud » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 am

I simply never cared to check before. Honestly, modding the game never came to my mind considering that I'm expecting the ace support to continue to last for awhile.

Still, this'll certainly spice things up for some time.

Itharus

Postby Itharus » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:36 am

Wait, what?

You can mod individual games by altering the save game file - and this only affects the individual altered saved game, leaving every other saved game in question vanilla? If so, that's pretty damned hot.
Last edited by Itharus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I thought of better wording.

LunaticHierophant

Postby LunaticHierophant » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:42 am

I'd be carefull editing your savegames.
Back up before doing so, I once tried to get the game a bit darker and less colorfull, by changing the Sun / ambient values
= crashed the game ;)

guru

Postby guru » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Editing a save game is easy and yes it only alters the one saved game. If you mess a saved game up just make the character again or edit out your changes , its cake.

Some things you can do are make necros summon any monster in the game and at any level.

Make crafters that can make any item in the game, at random even.

Change the loot, the chests , how many items and what is in each chest.

Amount of mobs can be changed so you can literally make a boss at the top of the map or in any camp you want ,that is just 1 mob with many levels above you and make it drop uber fame and items :)

You can change the map size on beginner games to 128 x 128 from 64 x 64 and get a huge map with the same amount of stuff on it or add your own mobs! its easy to copy and paste more mobs into your save file and make the game do whatever you want.

It may not feel as random anymore but once you see your save game file you know your future anyhow, its all pre written in this game engine - lolz.

Shadowdragoon

Postby Shadowdragoon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:32 am

hmm, maybe i should in my first game change it to 20 50? hehe, (yes, i want a long game). ;)

guru

Postby guru » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:49 pm

hmm, maybe i should in my first game change it to 20 50? hehe, (yes, i want a long game).

Remember that some of those mobs will be grouped (or in shared aggro range) so either be ready to run back to town with a train on you or try to seperate the mobs by waiting them out as they move around.

20 to 50 mobs will be good fun, piles of loot and probably about 3 levels for you , hehe.

Cydira

Postby Cydira » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:40 pm

"Shadowdragoon" wrote:hmm, maybe i should in my first game change it to 20 50? hehe, (yes, i want a long game). ;)

I tried to change it to 35 50 in a Hardcore Long game.

The game took a long time generating it, but it finally chugged through it all and got me into the game.

I ran my Outlaw out to start killing stuff, but found that all of the mobs were invisible. No way to fight back, since there's no auto-targeting.

I quit out and edited the save game file again and made it 10 25. This was much better. It still took a while to create the game, but the mobs were visible and I did get all the way through it.

Fun fun.

guru

Postby guru » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 am

Good to hear you had fun. There could be an issue with over 10 camps and 50 mobs , maybe a hardcoded mob limit of 500 or so , its untested as of yet but 10-20 mobs at all camps def. works well. Your tough for doing that on a hardcore game. nice

Shadowdragoon

Postby Shadowdragoon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:23 am

ok, hmm, then 20 25 should work? hopefully? hehe..

guru

Postby guru » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:11 am

Remember that the game has to add/create all those mobs and it takes more processing time, if you have lower end machine...there will be more of a load out wait the 1st time you resume your character. But yes I've done 20-25 mobs at each camp without issues.

Next you can try to make necros summon 4 or more mobs and of any race/monster you want ;) its fun stuff.

GenghisKim

Postby GenghisKim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 pm

"guru" wrote:Ever get the feeling you can predict that every camp will have 5-11 monsters? Want to feel like an Everquest guru and stumble on camps with 2-25 monsters? Well here you go!

Instructions :

1.Start a game and choose the character you want. Once the map loads and you pick your starter benefits save the game.

2. Goto C:\Users\Youraccount\Documents\Tilted Mill\Hinterland\saves on your pc and open the file with your save characters name. ie ..character.SAV
(this file opens easily in notepad)

3. Once the file opens hit ctrl+f (which is find) and put in SpawnNumberRange and hit find/search.

4. In the spot it takes you to , where it says SpawnNumberRange = "5 7";
simply change the # from "5 7" or "6 11" or whatever it has shown and change it to a number you would like such as say SpawnNumberRange = 5 17
((selecting "5 17" means you will have from 5 - 17 mobs of varying levels))

5. You will see SpawnNumberRange in several places in your file. Adjust all of them and every single camp will have these changed amounts!

save the file.

Resume that character and enjoy , now camps will be filled to the rim!

Wow, awesome!

Is there a limit to how many mobs each camp can have?

GenghisKim

Postby GenghisKim » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 am

"Cydira" wrote:I tried to change it to 35 50 in a Hardcore Long game.

The game took a long time generating it, but it finally chugged through it all and got me into the game.

I ran my Outlaw out to start killing stuff, but found that all of the mobs were invisible. No way to fight back, since there's no auto-targeting.

I quit out and edited the save game file again and made it 10 25. This was much better. It still took a while to create the game, but the mobs were visible and I did get all the way through it.

Fun fun.

Hmmmm. 10-25 did not work for me, as many mobs seem invisible.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:22 am

"GenghisKim" wrote:Hmmmm. 10-25 did not work for me, as many mobs seem invisible.

Now there's a new challenge, Invisible Mobs. :eek:
:cool:

phalzyr

Postby phalzyr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Can you use this to make an infinate game, once you clear all but one site reinitiate all sites by copy and past from another save game?

red7204

Postby red7204 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:33 am

I think I will take a look at this. As far as the 35 50 there might be a limit to what the engine can handle. Or there might be a limit set somewhere other than the save game files. I have not looked at the saved games yet, but I want to now to see what can be modified.

I haven't looked in the game folder yet, but where is the artwork located. Is it easy to find. I really like the artwork for this game.

Xarne

Postby Xarne » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:22 pm

"Shadowdragoon" wrote:hmm, maybe i should in my first game change it to 20 50? hehe, (yes, i want a long game). ;)

If you do that in a 50 zone map you'll be like level 18 at end game, probably 1 shot everything

Return to “General Discussion”