Left wanting more?

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Vilgan

Left wanting more?

Postby Vilgan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:30 am

So like... I really enjoy the whole concept of this game. There is a nice mix of town stuff and heading out into the wilderness.

However, the game really feels like it is just starting to me. Are there plans to add a bunch more to the game, or are they moving on?

For example, I just finished a medium difficulty "long" game. I never died which is fine, but it took me forever to really put together what I considered a solid party. 90% of the game I cleared using my main character and an equal level "guard" class. I didn't even get the item needed to make a wizard until I had already cleared like 46 of the 50 areas. So, I got my wizard (finally!) and then like 10 minutes later I beat the game.

I like the game as it is now. Its nifty, its fun, but I really don't have a lot of desire to go back right now. I'd like there to be like 5x as many items. More complexity in town upgrades. And like 4x the "have to beat these" areas in a game. The final fight was against lvl 13-14 giants. What about some big daunting tasks at the end? An enemy fortress that is enormous and has tons of enemies? Some dragons?

I guess I am so disappointed because I like the premise of the game soooooo much. I have been waiting for it to come out for months. While I am glad it is out, and I enjoyed it, it felt like I played the first chapter in what should be a much larger game.

getter77

Postby getter77 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:11 pm

I take encouragement in the fact that since the game was released there have been a couple substantial patches that not only fixed bugs but added varying degrees of content. Should the pace keep up roughly, only better things await from here I reckon.

Albion

Postby Albion » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:34 pm

I feel there would be more fun if there was an ENORMOUS map setting, which I feel there is space to do. The game would develop further then. You may have to kick out some more town members and really think about what you need and don`t need.

Yes, ENORMOUS is the way to go! :)

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm finding it's rather boring. Just a hack and slash instead of what I was expecting. Go kill stuff. get loot. go kill more stuff. no....hmmmm.....variation to the world, if you will. no exploration, or real city building skills.

ah well. It was fun for a few hours of play :) Perhaps they will be adding on patches and upgrades.

Pleeb

Postby Pleeb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:10 am

I just beat my first game small map hardcore - and yes I too want more! My system can't handle long games it seems, so I'm stuck on small/medium games, to make each game more random I unclick the have all resources button. So with that in mind what I would really like is if, when you beat a map, you can carry the same character over and play another map with the mobs matching the characters level. Perhaps even have the option to carry over 3 of your followers to.

Really the game has no story or anything like that, so to have the game keep your char and keep feeding you levels to play on would really add much to the semi arcade feel of it. In fact it would make it feel like an old school arcade! :D

It would also be nice if there was an option allowing you to choose how large the camped/raider mobs are. I know Guru has found the code so that I can manually change it, but I really don't want to mess around with it as of yet.

And yes to the OPs suggestions on more buildings/techs/etc.

;) It would also be nice if there were different tile sets, so each map could look different.

I think that's it...for now :D

Good game btw.

muze

Postby muze » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:34 am

What the game needs for medium level difficulty is to not take until 10 minutes before you beat the game to get some top level upgrades. I find that I clear out the majority of the areas and my town is still running on mostly basic buildings/units. Easy difficulty games seem to move along more quickly, unfortunately at less challenge.

The other thing, and I'm sure this has been considered/discussed, is a story/campaign mode ala Majesty. Just some simple goals to achieve besides defeating each area, and a fantasy lite story to string each campaign together.

Either way I'm still enjoying the game after about a week and still playing it when I have time.

Continued development of additional content in the form of units or buildings is certainly most welcome.

Ouijdani

Postby Ouijdani » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 am

"muze" wrote:What the game needs for medium level difficulty is to not take until 10 minutes before you beat the game to get some top level upgrades. I find that I clear out the majority of the areas and my town is still running on mostly basic buildings/units. Easy difficulty games seem to move along more quickly, unfortunately at less challenge.

The other thing, and I'm sure this has been considered/discussed, is a story/campaign mode ala Majesty. Just some simple goals to achieve besides defeating each area, and a fantasy lite story to string each campaign together.

Either way I'm still enjoying the game after about a week and still playing it when I have time.

Continued development of additional content in the form of units or buildings is certainly most welcome.

I find the opposite. I did a long/med game last night and this morning and found that I spent the last 16 or so areas pretty much ignoring my town. 2 watchtowers and an archery range killed the raiders and I just ran around cleaning up areas. I only went back to town to unload/sell and to loot the dead raiders.

(I am playing on a laptop this week, with really poor graphics that seriously affect play, so that may affect the rate at which things happen in the game. I'll know more when I get home next week and try it on my gaming machine.)

Ouij

Shadowdragoon

Postby Shadowdragoon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:44 pm

I too found the game a bit to shallow, but, well, i do play quite a bit of RPGs, and a bit of RTS (realtime strategy) and TBS (turn based strategy), and a little city building games now and then. so im used to a bit moore options hehe. ;)

fleshtonegolem

Postby fleshtonegolem » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:59 am

What I feel would solve a lot of peoples ills about game length and content would be a simple mod utility.

Something you could create more adventures for the party you have when you beat the game.

The thread starter Vilgan mentioned feeling that when he beat it, "the game really feels like it is just starting to me"

I fully concur.

If we had a user community with mods for additional locations, this game would get much more interesting.

I don't know how intense the code would be to apply the additional content, and that's the main crux for me.

The building of the actual areas is simple compared to implementing it properly.

I would be happy to wait for a hinterland 2, which should have, in my opinion a mod utility packaged with the game itself. :)

I know there are monsters in that cave and Wraiths in that crypt, I can click on it!!!

It's got have been made click-enabled for a reason. We just need to mod it.

Fireworks?
Torque?

Is that the proper utility to access the files...

I believe Guru mentioned it once.

DrSnooze

I hear what you're saying

Postby DrSnooze » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:33 pm

I look at this as the first iteration on a great concept. I think it's a good game built on a great idea. It's fun and I'm enjoying it, but there's so much more that they can do with this game. My hope is that this is successful enough that they can make a sequel with a lot of added depth. For example:

• More items with interesting effects. Magic items that do cool things for your character.
  • More depth in character abilities, for yourself and for your followers. Allow different upgrade paths for the different follower types in your party.
  • More robust city building. Be able to recruit guys who build walls or other defensive structures that you need to fend off bad guys.
  • More bad guys with unique abilities.
  • Different enemy sites that provide bonuses that your adventuring party can take advantage of. For example, maybe you can stop by the fresh water pool and have your health restored.

In short, adding more elements from the RPG and RTS genres to make the game as a whole more robust.

darkstaf

That score has gotta be for something.

Postby darkstaf » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:38 pm

I got this game last week, and I haven't been able to stop playing. Awesome stuff. Now if they could just work out the crash bugs, this could find a permanent place on my hard drive.

Personally, I think the framework for the game is great, but what could instantly add to its fun is some metagaming. Maybe an online score leaderboard for each difficulty, with standardised scores (like Audiosurf, perhaps). That way you can not just challenge the game, but challenge each other as well by posting your scores, adding more fun by constantly trying to one-up the people on the leaderboard.

Also in line with the leaderboard idea, having weekly/monthly score challenges on standardised map seeds: everyone gets the same map spawn positions and variables, then proceed to duke it out for the highest score, and some bragging rights.

Whaleberg

Postby Whaleberg » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm very disappointed by the game. It sounded great in concept, I love rpg's, and town building games. Each aspect of the game seems to fall flat though. There just isn't enough depth in anything. The combat is especially bad, since there is no interaction other than "click and hold mouse" and "potion".

I bought this game based on the idea, and that's all that I got.

The constant crashes don't help either.

Return to “General Discussion”