Need icon to show which citizen is fighting and which is fleeing when raided

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
tegehel

Need icon to show which citizen is fighting and which is fleeing when raided

Postby tegehel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi,

In the Followers section, you can't tell who is fighting in case of a raid and who is fleeing. It's hard to remember who does what, especially when the town is full and you've tweaked a lot of people (and when people are replaced - as the default setting is fleeing), or if you go back to a game from days ago. The only way, right now, is to click on each character and check its status.

I suggest a little icon next to their names that suggest fighting, and none if fleeing. This implementation doesn't change the gameplay, and adds a visual clue that prevents wasting time.

PS: From an ex-dev (MMO) to the Tilted Mill crew: Great little game! As far as implementing ideas, I say K.I.S.S., that's what makes this game fun, and adding everyone's wish and desires will turn it into something it isn't meant to be. It certainly can be improved, but I'd concentrate first on ideas that don't change the gameplay much. Then, it's your prerogative.

A little gem you have here :D

CannibalBob

Postby CannibalBob » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Would be a nice feature! But all you can do now is press T while in a town, press Space to pause and mouse over the action to figure out names.

Xarne

Postby Xarne » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:35 pm

havent played the expac but if its like the original, I'd keep everyone fleeing and handle the raid on the city myself - easier on production.

I used to tweak my townspeople to fight but that becomes a full time game in itself, moving, rearranging gears... plus when you play on hardcore mode, those raids are deadly for townspeople in hand-me-downs

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:45 pm

I dunno, Xarne, I've found that if someone has to die, it's better for it to be a farmer that I can replace for 13 gold. Because when I die on Hardcore, it tends to end the game. ;) I can't tell you how many times I've run around town avoiding raiders, hoping to get my health up to a point I can battle, again, wishing I had set the townsfolk to help out.

Dylmani555

Postby Dylmani555 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Lol nice one Jim.

Xarne, when you say the raids are deadly for villagers in hand-me-downs, I just give 'em something tough to wear 'cos when them shadow stalkers come-a-knocking, there's no running

Xarne

Postby Xarne » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:09 pm

When I first got this game I did all kinds of experiments to the villagers:
would gear them up and stay on the border of town to see how they fare.
In everything but hardcore things are *relatively* sane and you dont have to worry about them...but there have been a few times when I've geared them and allowed them to defend on their own, only to have half my population welcome me back (when adult ogres and dragons start raiding, the party's over).
But the point is, depending on playstyle, I try to stay out of town until a raid in coming. That's usually the only time I'll come back in, sell off stuff, hire more herbalists...gearing your towns people to fight...sounds like a good idea but in reality...trying to gear up 14-15 people gets :eek:

Meh, but that's me: I like the struggle of building the city to a stable status.
While I finish all my games out, I feel like the apex is in getting the store keeper cause after you get him/her...it's money city

GenghisKim

Postby GenghisKim » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:53 pm

"Dylmani555" wrote:Lol nice one Jim.

Xarne, when you say the raids are deadly for villagers in hand-me-downs, I just give 'em something tough to wear 'cos when them shadow stalkers come-a-knocking, there's no running

What are Shadow stalkers?

GenghisKim

Postby GenghisKim » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:28 pm

"Xarne" wrote:When I first got this game I did all kinds of experiments to the villagers:
would gear them up and stay on the border of town to see how they fare.
In everything but hardcore things are *relatively* sane and you dont have to worry about them...but there have been a few times when I've geared them and allowed them to defend on their own, only to have half my population welcome me back (when adult ogres and dragons start raiding, the party's over).
But the point is, depending on playstyle, I try to stay out of town until a raid in coming. That's usually the only time I'll come back in, sell off stuff, hire more herbalists...gearing your towns people to fight...sounds like a good idea but in reality...trying to gear up 14-15 people gets :eek:

Meh, but that's me: I like the struggle of building the city to a stable status.
While I finish all my games out, I feel like the apex is in getting the store keeper cause after you get him/her...it's money city

What about just giving each player bows though? Wouldn't that keep them relatively safe and still useful?

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:42 pm

Bows are generally slower and do less damage than the h2h weapons.
:cool:

GenghisKim

Postby GenghisKim » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:24 pm

"PantherX" wrote:Bows are generally slower and do less damage than the h2h weapons.

I know, but I want to keep my townsmen safe, and let towers do most of the work until my main party returns :)

Return to “General Discussion”