Do you still play?

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
PantherX

Do you still play?

Postby PantherX » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:31 am

I am curious if anyone is still playing Hinterland?

I just got it and have about 4 cities in easy mode done.. Looking forward to more challenge.

There is a lot of good information in the forum about gameplay I think we need a Wiki.

Is there anyone wants to help do a wiki?

:cool:

Vreejack

Postby Vreejack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:15 pm

"PantherX" wrote:I am curious if anyone is still playing Hinterland?

I just got it and have about 4 cities in easy mode done.. Looking forward to more challenge.

There is a lot of good information in the forum about gameplay I think we need a Wiki.

Is there anyone wants to help do a wiki?

I started playing again a bit. My criticism remains the same as ever: the interface is weak and somewhat unintuitive. It plays like a six-year-old game.

I should check that gameplay info you mentioned.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:03 pm

I agree it is simple to play, easy to learn and I am guessing easy to master. So far I am enjoying it which is kind of interesting to me as I usually hate war games.

The FOV mod should be put into the official game, increasing the gameplay field just a little bit so you can see the enemy first has greatly increased my enjoyment.

:D

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I still play it now and then. Quick and easy. But it does become repetitive before too long so replay value isn't super-high for me. :)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 am

Yep, I am seeing the same thing. I have played about 5 easy short games and 6 medium long games. I usually clear the last 10-15 camps in a single run if I am into deleting all the loot. I will probably try some hardcore long real soon!

Really fun to play but I could go for about 2x as long (8-10 hrs play per round). I know I have paid a lot more for less game time so I think it is very well priced.

I started a Wiki over at google but didn't get very far before I decided to go play - lol

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:05 am

Yes, I most certainly still play Orc Lords! Every chance I get. I wish there were more hours in the day to play all my excellent TM games more!

As a matter of fact, I am still looking for my first new or OLD game that does NOT play on Vista. Haven't found one yet which is amazing considering all the talk I had heard about Vista sucking before I got this new SuperComputer. I was VERY worried.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Have there been service packs for vista? or just small updates? Every update should make it better. So far there only seem to be a small % of people complaining about Win7 and most the problems seem to be minor if played in in XP compatibility mode..

How are you liking the interface of Vista? are you having any problems finding things or doing things like you used to do in XP?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:20 am

Yep, Vista now has SP2 & all the autoupdates we used to get with XP every once in awhile.

Everything works fine & no problems at all. I have it set on Windows Classic Look so it looks pretty much the same.

I am past due on my free W7 upgarde that came with the computer, but It should be here soon or I will get cranky. LOL

Yep, everyone I know who has upgraded is very happy with W7.

Kalani

Postby Kalani » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:07 pm

I am liking windows 7 alot more then windows vista...just the ability to do a search in the start bar and have my program (aka game) come up within seconds is awesome.

(because honestly...sometimes I forget where my games are installed....that happens with more then one harddrive...this makes it alot less annoying.)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am

I certainly wish I had more time to play these days. Need to get a Hinterland fix once the madness settles down. :o

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 pm

I play from time to time; just last night, as a matter of fact. I like to try different characters, to see how my gameplay changes. Last night, I started as an Elven Archer (Elrajim), and had to take a farmer along almost immediately to absorb the damage while I plinked away from longer range. My bow sucks, and I haven't got better bows from loot.

I only play Hardcore, now.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Yep, I am playing in hardcore now, it sure makes the gameplay tougher all though I'm not 100% sure why.

Do the enemy camps ramp up faster? (less low level camps) Maybe that's it because I never feel ready to move on to the next * level.

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Hardcore is exactly the same as difficult except that the game is over when you die. Enemy camps are random, but follow a theme for the game. For example, if you have one monster type in a camp you're much more likely to encounter that monster type in other camps. I don't want to spoil your fun, but there is a way to make the monsters weaker in hardcore mode without cheating. I don't use that techinique because I like having to fight tough monsters because it makes you plan an assault instead of charging in and easily sluaghtering everything.

You can kill off all the easy encounters and have nothing left to toughen up your character unless you wait forever for raiding parties. In these situations, you need to get resourceful. For example, you might need to have an alchemist create some potions for you or other characters create items like a skull of bloodlust so you'll have a chance to survive. If your best followers have been killed off and you can't hire decent replacements, then it might be best to just kill yourself and start over because constantly running back to town to get healed is frustrating and not much fun.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:22 am

My first try at hardcore was a tough start I had just formed my team and everything was going well until I ran right into a high level camp. Stomped into dust....

I'm still on my second try at hardcore and am having a hard time getting through the 3* areas. I just lost all my villagers to bandits I did not see coming. Not sure if I will be able to build it back but I'm gonna give it a try.

I am pretty successful at medium without dying or loosing any villagers. Hardcore is tough, as it should be! :)

Xarne

Postby Xarne » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 pm

I bought this back when it first came out and just finished 2 playthroughs yesterday. Such a simple game but so much fun, I pick a different class and make up a story as to why/ how I got in the middle of this forest lol.

I would love to see them make a sequel to this, with more emphasis on building up the town, would be awesome

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:28 pm

Ditto on that. This game is so easy to get into. :)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:47 am

I always feel that I want more when it ends. but it's good that it does end,

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:03 am

"Xarne" wrote:I bought this back when it first came out and just finished 2 playthroughs yesterday. Such a simple game but so much fun, I pick a different class and make up a story as to why/ how I got in the middle of this forest lol.

I would love to see them make a sequel to this, with more emphasis on building up the town, would be awesome

Do you have Orc Lords?

Xarne

Postby Xarne » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Nope I didnt get Orc Lands. I dont want to play as an Orc.

But I like to play Outlaw/Hardcore/hidden map/ limited resources now.
Or sometimes I'll go Elven Ranger. But ya this game always draws me back
I really hope they make a real sequel one day.

Return to “General Discussion”