Orc Shaman Impressions

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion on Hinterland
Azeem

Orc Shaman Impressions

Postby Azeem » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 am

I have to say, the new "summoner" abilities are awesome and add a real interesting dimension to the gameplay experience. Definitely not shallow. :D It's a bit reminiscent of Diablo II's "pets" system, but within a Hinterlands setting. That's not a criticism, of course. ;) I like that Orcs attract other Orcs, but there NEEDS to be more personality to them! Orcs eat up quite a bit of food. If I wind up with just spiders around me at the beginning, that can be a real game breaker because they don't seem to provide meat. The orc shaman is strong, but the need to acquire food as soon as possible makes him too vulnerable because he doesn't regenerate and has to keep retreating back to town. I think the double food requirement is a bit unbalancing as well as the level-up options for the shaman - the shaman can only get one-use items only at each level increase, but can't get the town bonuses. This potentially makes the shaman too weak considering that summoned monsters are a bit weak.

Anyways, here's a summary of my initial evaluation of the Orc Shaman lord:

STRENGTHS:
1) Summon Ability: Orc Shaman can practically summon his own army. This is advantageous when in a situation where you're easily overwhelmed. Summoned monsters are weak, but can divert enemy attention when necessary.
2) High Innate Attack Power: It seems that the Orc Shaman's base attack power is quite high in compared to human or elven lords. This offers a nice starting advantage.

WEAKNESSES:
1) Excessive Food Consumption: In my opinion, this can be a real game breaker. Getting food in the beginning is crucial and even when you get food producers, they can't keep up with consumption because Orcs consume *double.* Either increase the amount of food recieved from plunder (which so far is just one measly unit) or reduce the amount of food consumed to 3.
2) Lack of Upgrade Options: Two of the Orc Shaman's upgrade options are just to get ONE one-use item. This is potentially very unbalancing for the reason that the Orc Shaman can't get the passive bonuses for the town and only winds up with one-use items. Summoned monsters aren't particularly strong and once they're killed off, you've used up the item.
Last edited by Azeem on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boaster

Postby Boaster » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:39 am

I haven't been able to play for awhile. Was there an update to the Beta? I usually check the forums first for updates.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:28 am

The update notice was posted in the Bugs forum. It introduces the Orc Lord and Orc Shaman class and looks the beginnings of either another content pack or an expansion.

Return to “Hinterland Beta (General)”