Food requirement a bit too high

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion on Hinterland
tobing

Food requirement a bit too high

Postby tobing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 am

I played the orc warrior yesterday, and I was lucky to have wild game right from the beginning. Without that, the double food requirement is really HARD. Seems to be too high, a herder only produces 2 food per day, which is what he eats himself. Makes herders pretty useless. Also, farmers produce 2 food per day without first upgrade, and then it's only 3.5 so even with that it's not enough to feed another orc.

I would suggest to set food requirement to 1.5 for orcs.

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 pm

tobing the orc also collects raw meat from most of those he kills but agree that 2 food is a bit high. It wasn't until mid game that I got ahead on food.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:13 pm

I was a bit 'scared' when I read about the double food thing. So I started playing on easy, medium long, but there was no problem with food ever. There were a lot of lvl 1 &2 wolves around, so also raw meat was plentiful. Found water soon, so was able to upgrade my two farms. Also didn't have too many followers in town in the early game, partly because there wasn't enough gold, or then only way too expensive people showed up. :p

Jeff Fiske

drop rate needs to keep up.

Postby Jeff Fiske » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 pm

You must kill kill kill.

Please let us know if you feel the drop rate of the food needs to be increased to compensate.

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 pm

I played medium difficulty medium length, and well I collected food, of course. The point is, there's a huge difference having wild game or not. With it, you have a number of hunters and always have enough food. Without, you mostly have to rely on collected raw meat, which may not be enough if you need to run home to heal your wounds.

Belzi has played without wild game, and the result was that she was almost starving after a few days into the game. Problem then is that all new followers quit very soon because there's not enough food, you basically have no chance to get out of this.

Edit: Jeff, increasing the drop rate for food may help. Especially when there's no wild game...

Belzi

Postby Belzi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 pm

I was very hungry and had no chance to get followers.
:eek:

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:29 pm

I guess it is good or bad luck: if you are getting or not enough 'easy wolves' on the first two row of sites. On the other hand my Orc was not too tough, got wounded surprisingly easy, even though I was playing on easy. Had to come back town to heal, or be extra careful to meet mob one by one. On the other hand once a better weapon (lvl 5 attack sword) was found and I chose 'heal anywhere in the world' it became much better. After playing one game it is not easy for me to say if the drop rate of the food needs to be increased or decreased. I'll play again tomorrow (it is almost midnight for me now).

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:49 pm

On easy which is what I was playing the drop rate in the early game wasn't enough to stay out of the red. But once I got into the mid game was producing enough food and getting enough drop meat to support a full party. Did think my early orc was hurt pretty easily but as he leveled up he seemed alot tougher.
Really surprised that the giants didn't have more "meat" when knocked off ;)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:30 am

Spiders don't seem to drop much meat. If your early encounters are just spiders, then that can be a real game breaker for orcs.

tobing

Postby tobing » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 am

My orc got easily poisoned, too, so almost every encounter with an orc shaman made me run home to heal.

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:20 pm

What is really important with the Orc is getting the drops of traps and fertilizer and that sort of thing. I also try very hard to get farmers and then upgrade them. If you can't upgrade your food supply in some way, then it is nearly impossible to feed yourself even with the meat drops. If you have to run back to town to heal often, you can never get ahead. Perhaps the Orc could start with a bit more defense; a shield might be helpful.

It's also hard to make money because your first 5 or 6 followers must be food producers. And woe is you if you get a lot of non food producing visitors early in the game. Also, it really irks me that food producers abandon the cause due to lack of food. :eek: Stop whining and grow some, idiots.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:27 pm

This time I don't have wild game, which makes getting food MUCH harder. Playing on medium, but feels really hard. Now I have 6 farmers and one trapper, if most of them have a trap or fertilizer or such stuff, I make excess food for my few other people, but most of the time it's hardly sufficient. My orc is killing all the time, and the king requests food each time, that almost kills me!

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks guys.

I will bring this up with Mat on Monday

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:47 am

Also mention the balance issues with the orc shaman I mentioned in the thread below. The orc shaman's summon skill is interesting, but sacrificing a long-term upgrade for a one-use item that may or may not be useful is too unbalancing.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:50 pm

I agree on the food drops, if the orcs are going to eat twice as much food than twice as much food should be made available either from the farms or drops. Maybe the herders could have an upgrade to ranch to make more food.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:55 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Also mention the balance issues with the orc shaman I mentioned in the thread below. The orc shaman's summon skill is interesting, but sacrificing a long-term upgrade for a one-use item that may or may not be useful is too unbalancing.

Number of Totems has been increased to 4 per level.

We like the existing dynamic because it is different than other 'pet games', and hopefully people will feel that four totems can be worth one attribute.

Also, combined with the doubling of food (higher chance to drop one food, chance to drop two or three) the ability to play a totem to help you stay out should be useful. Of course, if you look at that as a liability in terms of having to go back to town and heal, that is a different issue.

Totems can be played on Non-Lord characters- so you should be able to put a small party together and then double its size, which hopefully will allow you to get a quick edge.

Either way, the overall dynamic of the game is really changed by the use of totems, which ultimately is what we were going for.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:09 am

Four seems more reasonable. But that really depends on the next issue - Do the summoned "pets" at all level up like the dragon? Even if you have four wolves, four 2-Attack / 1-Defense wolves aren't going to do much against a Level 12 goblin shaman nuking them with fireballs. :eek:

Lost about a half dozen followers from said shaman... :o

Return to “Hinterland Beta (General)”