Orc Shamans Still Unbalanced

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion on Hinterland
Azeem

Orc Shamans Still Unbalanced

Postby Azeem » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 am

Bumping up the number of totems gained from level-ups still doesn't offset the lost opportunity to gain permanent stats. Summons are far too weak, even if you get more of them. 5 Level 1 wolves with a measly 2 attack power and 1 defense against a Level 11 minotaur will do very little; they can divert attention, but they'll just get massacred in less than a hit. Add a mage with splash damage in, and they're essentially useless. It's not at all a real game-breaker, but it makes the Orc Shaman an overall much weaker character than others.

How about having it this way:
Have summon totems as items that have to be looted (depending on the type of enemy you kill); the level-up options will instead allow the summon creatures to level-up. For example, when you level-up, you'll get the option to "upgrade" your summons.
Last edited by Azeem on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 am

Hm... It seems the summons do depend on your level. That's good. :)

The shaman in the early game is still pretty weak, however. Even if summons are a level below the shaman when summoned, that they're one-use can be quite a drawback. Especially when summoned creatures don't recover HP in the field or in town...
Last edited by Azeem on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:08 am

OK, so the Orc Shaman IS still unbalanced. :o

The lack of permanent upgrades at level up IS proving to be a handicap. The Orc Shaman not only can't get additional defensive, attack, or HP bonuses but also special bonuses such as treasure hunting or regeneration. It's negligible at earlier levels, but once I got to the Level 4 and 5 rings the lack of these bonuses made things a lot harder. :eek:

Is it just me or does the Orc Shaman level up far more slowly??? :confused:

By the way, didn't the shaman used to have the regeneration ability?

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 pm

I agree with Azeem's sentiments. Not sure about the Shaman's leveling up at this point, but indeed the lack of stats-upgrade are annoying to say the least.

Perhaps I haven't played long enough yet to fully experience the power of the summons, but I'd like to suggest the following:

- Summons have a cooldown, instead of limited use.

- Goblins become the "defensive" summon. At each level, the player can invest in Goblins to increase their statistics. They grant X% (depends on level) health bonus to the party as well as an healing spell. Weak in offense and health themselves.

- Wolves become the "offensive" summon. At each level, the player can invest in Wolves to increase their statistics. They grant X% (depends on level) attack bonus to the party as well as boasting a high attack and defense themselves.

- Totems can be made by the Shaman to increase production in the town. They require enchanted wood to be looted from the enemy, once turned into a totem they increase productivity for a certain town member by X%. At each level the player can invest in totems to increase their statistics.

Return to “Hinterland Beta (General)”