Buying this, will it work with my box?

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
Flammehav

Buying this, will it work with my box?

Postby Flammehav » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 am

I got the original boxed game from WAY back in time, some 13-14 years or so. I reinstalled the game after having it shelved for a long time and installed the newest patch. Will Alexandria work if I buy that from steam of will I have to buy the whole game from steam for it to work?

Also what is the enhanced edition?

Yahya

Re: Buying this, will it work with my box?

Postby Yahya » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:56 am

I believe you can apply Alexandria on top of the original game, as that's the way it was released for us.

I beta tested CotN in 2004, then purchased the game and played, and then applied the Alexandria patch.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:21 pm

As I recall it, the enhanced edition was effectively a free patch that came out when TM bought the rights back to their own game (from Sega in Europe and whoever in USA). It fixed a few bugs, added the brickyard and removed the sun and moon.
Saved games went in a Titled Mill subdirectory of Documents instead of Sega. Probably there were a few things I've forgotten about, but there should be the original posts about it on the forum if you search for it

Alexandria you had to pay extra for.

Note that you can also get CotN complete from GOG.com (presumably this includes Alexandria) if that is cheaper or more convenient.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 am

Herodotus covered it pretty well.

Alexandria will install with the original boxed version of the game. It actually forces a download of the streaming version from STEAM and creates a new set of folders for the streaming version in which to install. The boxed version files remain on the hard drive and can be accessed and played via the game disc as normal too.

I installed Alexandria to my original boxed version of the game.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:42 pm

/Yahya waves at Keith

How you doing, old friend?

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Yahya wrote:/Yahya waves at Keith

How you doing, old friend?

Hi! Long time no see. Still doing "guard duty" here on the board. I check it several times a day. I've been working on weeding out the spammer accounts. I still play Nile Online every day.

I haven't heard back from Jeff in quite a while. I suppose I'll drop him a line soon.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:53 am

I only hit here when I get a notification. But as of late I've been somewhat itching to finish out the Sand Wars saga. :D

Return to “Alexandria”