Children of the Nile: Alexandria Released!

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
Reed

Children of the Nile: Alexandria Released!

Postby Reed » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:41 pm

The first official city pack for CotN is now available for digital download through Impulse! Note that this will work with the boxed copy of CotN (with the Enhanced Edition update applied).

Update: It is now on Steam as well.

Features:

Image Mini-campaign comprised of three new scenarios
Image Two new monuments: the Great Lighthouse and Great Library
Image Multi-stage monument construction
Image A new World Level map depicting the Mediterranean rim
Image A new Greek raider
Image User-created scenarios

Get more details/screenshots at the official site.

Note: Alexandria will be available through Direct2Drive and GamersGate soon.
Last edited by Reed on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

thegrad

Thank You

Postby thegrad » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:03 pm

:D Oh, HAPPY DAY I can't wait to download it. :D

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Do I have to buy the original from Impulse? It won't allow me to download this add-on :( I will ask Impulse too, but if so, a warning would be nice.

Reed

Postby Reed » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:12 pm

No, you should be able to use this with your boxed copy of CotN (with the Enhanced Edition update applied).

What kind of error are you getting?

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:44 am

They say I need the registered version of enhanced CoTN. My version is 1.3.0.1.

I can't register my CoTN because I don't have a serial number for that game. I did try and register through Impluse. Impluse requires a serial number to register a boxed game, but I don't have a serial number. I hope this makes sense.

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:53 am

This StarDock thing is a royal pain. Why would you tick off your loyal fans like this? It's taken me forever to figure out that I have to "install" and "register" my original CotN (something I did long ago, but I guess that's not enough). Now it wants my "serial number", which I suppose I'll have to dig out. If this is what I have to go through to play Hinterlands, I think I'll pass.

Edit: (more unhappy with TM and Impulse/StarDock than before) it looks like they will only validate Alexandria if I bought CotN from them (which of course I didn't, silly me, I bought it 3 years ago). They want THEIR serial number for CotN. I contacted Stardock technical support, but you guys better get ready for a whole bunch of irritated customers.
Last edited by OhhJim on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reed

Postby Reed » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:33 am

Amrine and OhhJim, sorry to hear about the troubles. We'll definitely look into it first thing in the morning.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:03 am

wait I'm confused..
I'm wondering how this will work... Do I just download the content pack through impulse
or will you offer a downloadable package on this site in a few days?

"OhhJim" wrote:Why would you tick off your loyal fans like this

Don't forget the last patch and 'these' content packs are free (as far as I can tell)
so I really don't think any of TMs "loyal fans" should be ticked o_0
even if they have the time of their lives downloading it lmao

Peace Phoenix

Postby Peace Phoenix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 am

"OhhJim" wrote:This StarDock thing is a royal pain. Why would you tick off your loyal fans like this? It's taken me forever to figure out that I have to "install" and "register" my original CotN (something I did long ago, but I guess that's not enough). Now it wants my "serial number", which I suppose I'll have to dig out. If this is what I have to go through to play Hinterlands, I think I'll pass.

Edit: (more unhappy with TM and Impulse/StarDock than before) it looks like they will only validate Alexandria if I bought CotN from them (which of course I didn't, silly me, I bought it 3 years ago). They want THEIR serial number for CotN. I contacted Stardock technical support, but you guys better get ready for a whole bunch of irritated customers.

Well, Impulse is easy to use if you bought CotN from it since it will add itself the SN for the games you bought from Impulse, allowing to download them. So if Hinterland is made available throught Impulse, there should be less problem ;)

But it is clear that there is a problem for buying expansion on games not bought from Impulse. Stardock and Tilted Mill need to find a way to ensure
that customers are able to get the expansion.

BTW, Impulse has been released in June 2008 with an important update in august 2008. And I think that CotN is the first non Stardock game available on Impulse whose expansion is made available first on Impulse.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm

I am very anxious to get the new expansion, but it sure sounds like a real pain in the butt for us who have the original box. :mad: That is so unfair!!

zubaz

I don't think this should be an issue.

Postby zubaz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:23 pm

This is how it works:

1) User buys Alexandria from Impulse.
2) User clicks Install. Impulse says it can't find the base game. Asks users to point it to where the base game is installed.
3) User does that, Impulse downloads and installs Alexandria to the proper location.
4) User plays game.

No registrations are needed.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:25 pm

I wish it had done that for me. I just got an error saying the original game wasn't registered.

Oh, and, I'm not mad. No reason to be angry over 5 bucks, but I was disappointed to not be able to play.

Yarlen

Postby Yarlen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Can you send an email with screenshots of this in action to me at bclair@stardock.com? Thanks.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Sent in RTF. I don't have MS office.

Yarlen

Postby Yarlen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info. We have reproduced this issue and are testing a fix now.

Let me apologize to everyone for this. The devs are currently being beaten for the glory of the many Pharaohs who wish to play Alexandria. We expect an Impulse update later today that will resolve things and allow you to install as was intended.

--
Brian Clair
Director - Publishing
Stardock Entertainment

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:17 pm

"Amrine" wrote:Oh, and, I'm not mad. No reason to be angry over 5 bucks, but I was disappointed to not be able to play.

I'm not that upset over the $6. It takes me about 15 minutes to earn that at work. What I'm upset about is the 2 hours of my life I will never get back that I spent trying to figure out how to play something that was unplayable.

I'm glad to see Stardock is taking this seriously.

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:20 pm

"zubaz" wrote:This is how it works:

1) User buys Alexandria from Impulse.
2) User clicks Install. Impulse says it can't find the base game. Asks users to point it to where the base game is installed.
3) User does that, Impulse downloads and installs Alexandria to the proper location.
4) User plays game.

No registrations are needed.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works at all.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:39 pm

"Yarlen" wrote:Thanks for the info. We have reproduced this issue and are testing a fix now.

Let me apologize to everyone for this. The devs are currently being beaten for the glory of the many Pharaohs who wish to play Alexandria. We expect an Impulse update later today that will resolve things and allow you to install as was intended.

--
Brian Clair
Director - Publishing
Stardock Entertainment

The fix needs to be announced when it is available. :mad:

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:42 pm

5 USD huh? not too bad... but I will wait until this current issue has been resolved before I try to DL it :D

"thegrad" wrote:The fix needs to be announced when it is available. :mad:

I disagree, It reassures me that they know there is an issue and are working on it :)
hope you guys get whatever it is fixed soon :D

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Apparently it is working, I am downloading now. :D :D :D

Return to “Alexandria”