Impulse woes

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
gb2008

Impulse woes

Postby gb2008 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:51 pm

I bought CotN back in 2004. I recently decided to play it again by patching it fully and downloading the Alexandria city pack. This is what I did:

I loaded Impulse
I purchased Alexandria
I installed Alexandria
I registered Alexandria
I updated Alexandria.
Impulse then created a CotN icon in the "My Games" section alongside Alexandria.

However:

1) When I try to run Alexandria I get a message saying "This application has failed to start because binkw32.dll was not found". I am positive this is because I am using Vista 64bit and it is not looking in the right place as it is there in the Immortal Cities directory but in the x86 program files directory not the regular program files directory...

2) Impulse is telling me there is a 79.1MB update for CotN but I cannot download it because I cannot register it on Impulse. I have the original box set from 2004 but for the life of me I cannot see a serial number anywhere in the manual or on the disk. Where is it? Is this update important?

Any advice on these issues would be appreciated. I haven't enclosed a DXDIAG because I don't think it is relevent. I will if necessary. Thanks.

speysider
Location: Migdol, Osiriskai: Maritis, Sethat-ib: Qadesh, Rasuten

Postby speysider » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:54 pm

For some reason, Impulse is not working properly. Did you have a look in your local gameshop :D ? You could easily just buy the box set from eBay

gb2008

Postby gb2008 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Hahaha, that's not a very helpful reply :p

But you are right, my first ever games purchase over the internet has not been a happy, smooth experience. And they say this is the future... :(

Perhaps I should have posted in the Technical section? :confused:

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Yes, you should. I think you need to download DX9 for the bink32.dll. Not sure where the link is, but in the tech section, it's listed several times.

That was seriously NOT a helpful answer :rolleyes: lol

gb2008

Postby gb2008 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Well, I'm on DX10 for Vista and like I said, the file's there, it's just Impulse isn't looking in the right place I don't think...

I did a forum search and didn't find anything for binkw32.dll... :confused:

I'll post the whole thing again in the technical section then ;)

tobing

Postby tobing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Return to “Alexandria”