Children of Nile - Alexandria - BARGE and IMPORT help

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
aztec11us

Children of Nile - Alexandria - BARGE and IMPORT help

Postby aztec11us » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:18 pm

greetings everyone

i m making a small town, in a sandbox scenario called ''Daughter of Isis'' in Alexandria expansion

really love it, they really streamlined the A.I. as oppose to original... BUT...

here is where trouble starts !

i placed some barges, at some distance to give space.....opened routes for various materials with other cities and such..

and yes, i built the barges long before opening routes, as i heard some bugs prevent barge landaings from functioning right if opened after opening trade routes

but here is the big, nasty, deal ....though i did everything by the book, i keep receiving warning that i lost shipment due to no functional barge landings!!!

as you can see in the attached image, i do have barge landings, even storage space (land traders work just perfect).

how do i make it so i can properly receive items from water trade routes !?
step by step please!

and if you want my save game, i will gladly submit it, if you also tell me where to find the saved games :)

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aztec11us

Saved Games....

Postby aztec11us » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 pm

i m trying to submit my Saved Game so you can judge it and eventually provide a solution

but i cant attach a new file !!!

how do i attach a new file after the original post ?
Last edited by aztec11us on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aztec11us

saved games....

Postby aztec11us » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

here is the saved game

if you d like play it, and judge me

tell me step by step, where i went wrong with the barges and what to do to make sure materiales are coming in nicely and smooth

i even cleared out all tress near :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleSeth

Postby NobleSeth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:46 pm

i think the message are only a bug... that TM did not solve... if u want the messages to stop simple as many barge landing as trading route are.

it seems this bug is becouse previously u need 1 barge landing per traing route

regards...

aztec11us

Now yes...

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:08 am

well....since trade could not work, and i didnt send supplies to those sites, some routes were closed

problem is...even down to 1 route, it wont work :(

materials still do not come in, messanges aside

is there any way to hack into the A.I. (articifial intelligence) of the game, and alter some of it ?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:26 am

Howdy, aztec11us!

Sorry, but your city is a disaster. Worry not, any city can be saved. This is where I am now. Trying to get you some people & food! I am in no condition to look at your landing problem, cuz I believe it is due to lack of upkeep as in food.

It looks like you ran outta villagers & kept building & that caused you to lose farmers & thus food.

Your buildings are in the default position. Remember to turn every building so that its front doors face a road or space.
Need entertainers.
Even up shop types. You have no basket common shops. You need more common shops.
Scribes on assess taxes for double the food. Put them near the floodplain with your farmers. Farmers are too far from floodplain.
I nuked most of your Educated workers since you were prestige limited. I nuked all your soldiers, most of your laborers & duplicate/unbuilt buildings.
I added more shines for more gods.
I totall closed your World Map cuz you don't have enough food to upkeep them.
Waaay too many servants. I deleted them too.

You now have farmers & I think your city is saved. I will look at your import/export problem after a few more harvests.

PS ~ You got a bit carried away with cheat codes. ;)

aztec11us

Testing

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:55 am

thanks alot

first, when i got COTN the original, i was frustrated by some stupid A.I. bugs

after getting alexandria, i wanted to test the A.I. ofcourse, to see if the developer did its job at solving the frustrating AI bugs

inceput means beggining in romanian, my native tongue (symbolizes a fresh start of COTN...or should have, anyway)

that map was a stress test for the A.I. of the game, to see if its worth playing or the they left major bugs, thus making playing frustrating and not a pleasure, as it should be

the stress test was mostly about trade routes (as i know water trade routes are especially buggy), making more educated people, effectivness of educated people and project building

i used cheats as i simply wanted to see if the A.I. works properly !

unfortunately, it seems that the developer has NOT streamlined the A.I. of the water trade routers :( (

if you played Pharaoh, you know how damn efficent that game was at trade routes (land and water), storing surplasses, managing exports and imports was a breeze, and managing food also was a pleasure

though Alexandria did streamlined the A.I. quite abit compare to the original (especially i m noticing educated people are more effective, appear quicker, villager move in faster), they did NOT strealimed the AI regarding water crossings!

togheter with the food AI (regarding making food and distribution, which is also mediocre), the trade route AI basicly nukes away one of the most beautiful and major part ...MONUMENT CONSTRUCTION

useless to go through all the trouble and time to set up schools, priests, a whole city, open trade routes and do 1.000.000 things, if the end goal cannot be acheved due to a stupid AI script

thanks alot for the tips :) :)
Last edited by aztec11us on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:30 am

OK, aztec11us, I got your missed shipment message due to no barge landings, so I built some new ones that stick out into DEEP water. This save loads with an Abu transport at one of my new landings.

You have really screwed up this save with your cheat codes/whatever you did & I'm not convinced that you didn't break the game. All my new stuff works fine which is what happens when your save slowly changes to my game.

The game numbers are all messed up now. I even upgraded the palace w/o food. I never could find the 50K sm steles, basalt & limestone. Threshing Areas have beer & lux items in them.

Final fixed save attached.

Please do not insult the game when your save clearly shows that you don't know how to play it.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

aztec11us

Original COTN

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 am

in the original COTN, i did just what you did (but in another scenario!)

deep water landings and such

problem was....even back then, i was overwhelmed with error messages regarding no functioning barges !!!

hence the stress test
the only real goal of that scenario was to evaluate if they fixed it or not

it really should NOT be so difficult to set up a barge landing !
same for any other functional building
(but the barge seems to take the cake, as its hardest to set up)

i think it ruins alot of the fun, if someone has to waste so much precious time and effort to JUST place ONE building

and what about the trade routes ?
is it still 1 for 1 barge landing ?
...or 1 barge landing can be used for 2 - 3 routes ?

since they werent working for me. i havent been able to determin that !

i m not trying to offend COTN, quite the contrary !!!

i want it polished to perfection, and all the myriad of bugs taken out!
i only compared it to Pharaoh, cause the administrative part in Pharaoh is simply brilliant (allbeit rigid, since its the buildings that matter there)

just think abit please....if you were a Pharaoh building youself a pyramid... couldnt you manage the process of receiving building blocks via water routes, to work as smooth as an swiss watch ?!
( RETORIC...ofcourse you could and would)

after all, what was more important that eternal life ?!

i stand by my rational oppinion ... the difficul aspect of the game should be in managing all the various aspects and NOT in struggling to get one building placed OR trying to compensate for a faulty A.I. ( indeed, fortunately, this aspect was greatly resolved in Alexandria, but not totally)

placing buildings should be alot more generalized, as in Pharaoh !
once the user finds the proper terrain to place building, it should be placed without a problem....especially barges ( as most other buildings are allready easy to set up)

i.e. barge landings.... anywhere on shore and water (except where there are fields) -- under any orientation ( either perfect horizontal, or at an angle etc)

i cant even begin to tell you how much time i wasted trying to place those 3 landings!
it would not be exageration to say you could have prolly built a medium pyramid in the mean time !

also, there is no clear cut tutorial regarding each building placement, and the mechanisms for more elaborate operations (educating workers, bringing in blocks via trade ect) in drowned in alot of useless, needless talk !

just open any topic and you ll see that the explanation that really matters, comes after 3 - 4 long paraghraphs explaining the things BEFORE the actual topic you requested it!
its usually a single phrase AFTER alot of text, thats colateral to the topic

via comparrison with Pharaoh, if you recall, when the user learned of a new building that did new things, there was a clear cut scheme of functionality IN IMAGE, either on demand via Help button or right at start of scenario !

and an immage is worth a 10000 explanations...

aztec11us

Complexity

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 am

such an ease of learning is vital, since COTN is far more complex than Pharaoh!

and because its far more complex, issues such as these, coupled with buggy A.I. regarding vital aspects, can deter many from playing it, as they have to sifth through alot of needless data, to get to what really maters (regarding help topics)

and for the collateral aspects, a simple button named ,,more'' or ,,related topics'' would more than suffice
(which is exactly how the help in Pharaoh works...and it works brilliantly)

to sum up:
any help topic should have 1 phrase ( at most 2) with clear cut, simple explanation as to what are the needed steps

let me show you what i mean:

Shrine - small places of worshipping various gods. right click to assing a god. needs a priest to work.
priests are educated people, and they come from graduates who gradutate school; each priest can manage several shrines
(schools work best with papyrus from Papyrus makers and they need to have a priest assigned to them with ,,Educate Workers'' via right clicking on a existing nearby priest house)

< button ,,RELATED TOPICS''>

SHORT and TO THE POINT!
see ?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 am

There's only one problem with barques, and you can happily ingnore it without a probem: The messages demand more landings than you really need. That's all. The messages will show up until you have one barque landing for every water trade site route, but you won't have problems if you only have 1/3 of that.
In the first versions, there were also very few places to place a landing, but this has gotten better trough the patches. You also don't need to spend game time to search for a place to build, just pause the game and take your time.

As for the other problems, I fear you have caused them yourself. You can't test the game AI when you are constantly cheating, because that messes up everything. Build up a nomal city that functions properly, and you won't have trouble building monuments. You people will only build and work if they have everything else they need to live: Food, wares, religion and healthcare. If you take care of that, your pyramids will be build very fast. It's even faster to import the blocks by trade routes and not quarry them yourself, because this way you won't need more overseers and workers in the quarry and maybe even have to cross the river with the stones, because you can have them delivered where you need them.

Since the 1.3 patch, most of your buildings also show exactly what they need and even give hints what may be wrong if it doesn't function properly.

aztec11us

thanks ...

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:15 pm

that cheating as i said, was used simply cause the COTN lacks a vital feature, present in most games of much lower standing ...namely time lapse

in Pharaoh, one could simply speed up through various dull parts ( i.e. farming or long term operations) to get to really interesting parts, but here i havent noticed this beeing possible

i was merely trying to get to the part to see if building monuments was made smoother ( NOTICE: not easier...smoother) or not.

i still find it hard, even in Alexandria, to place a barge, despite clearing a huge chunk of shore-line ( clearing trees and stuff)

i admit, it is easier than in original, but still no where near smooth enough as it should be.

in this regard (functionality and placing) , test was a failure.

my own concern, as a player, should be organizing the game aspects, not wasting huge chunks of time to place a barge landing.

and the cheats were used AFTER i had, in a legitimate way, opened the trade routes !

( this was done to keep sending resources and proper the stages towards pyramid constructing)

thus your point SHOULD have been invalid ... and yet, despite plenty servants, farmers, plenty educated, i could not, in a legitimate way, receive imports via water !

and i think allmost 2 hours later, is time enough!
had i waited abit longer, I would have needed a tomb :D

while COTN simulates reality, various processes should still not take foreever!

i' d reckon the A.I. needs to be just a tad faster and smoother
( i dont have any comparrison as to haw faster or smoother, as i havent seen it work yet,so i cant pronounce)

after all, we arent dealing with some regular project...its the most vital one of all....the Eternal Life for the Pharaoh

ANY site along the shore, whether in deep or abit closer to shore, should be just fine for a barge landing !

the length of the wooden platform should be self adjusting !!!

in this regard, Pharaoh game again takes the lead
( if you recall, there, no matter where you d place water crossings or docks or burial platforms for pyramids, the wooden platforms were auto-adjustings in length alot smoother then in COTN!)

once again..as i wasnt properly understood .... the player should focus on the various logistics and projects, not seeking to make the items usable !

see the difference ?

the barge ( or any other building) should be as easy to set up as a regular house, noble house, priest etc !

and its A.I. should be at least as smooth as that of the Priests in Alexandria (which i find it very effective, allmost matching the priests of Pharaoh, which is ofc good!)

now do you understand ?

for some unknows reason, the developers overlooked this issue
( and pottentially of those conected, i.e. hauling materials to site, as i suspect the A.I. of these are at least, partially linked)

<< HINT TO THE DEVS >>
Make a new patch !
Make cheating impossible ( remove ALL Cheats, if they screw up the A.I. no point in having them), BUT greatly streamline ALL the A.I. !

its still a GAME....user should NOT need 2 hrs +, to get something okish done and he should NOT have to dodge bugs !
( 2 hrs of regular play should be enough to get a okish city up with small pyramid)

also, allow player to directly manage some aspects ( after all, a Pharaoh COULD order a certain project to have a higher priority than other!, Pharaoh game has this feature !!! why not COTN ?!
this would allow user to focus on a vital aspect, and then on minoro nes, thus greatly increasing randament alot
this woudl also increase complexity but hey...thats whats lovely about COTN

i rather play ALWAYS without, but not have to worry about bugs, then with them and with bugs
Last edited by aztec11us on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:40 pm

"aztec11us" wrote:that cheating as i said, was used simply cause the COTN lacks a vital feature, present in most games of much lower standing ...namely time lapse

in Pharaoh, one could simply speed up through various dull parts ( i.e. farming or long term operations) to get to really interesting parts, but here i havent noticed this beeing possible

oh, you can simply pause by hitting the space bar and slow or enhance your game speed by using the +/- signs on your numpad.

"aztec11us" wrote:i was merely trying to get to the part to see if building monuments was made smoother ( NOTICE: not easier...smoother) or not.

I see, but really, as you start cheating, you won't get any real reasults anymore, because you confuse the AI.

What is the problem with your monuments? What doesn't run smooth?

"aztec11us" wrote:i still find it hard, even in Alexandria, to place a barge, despite clearing a huge chunk of shore-line ( clearing trees and stuff)

You don't need to do that. If your image is red, you can't place it there, whether there are trees or not. They don't influence the placing or walking. they are simply cosmetic.

"aztec11us" wrote:i admit, it is easier than in original, but still no where near smooth enough as it should be.

Just look for a straight patch of shoreline which doesn't have miles of floodplain in front of it. It depends a little on which scenario you are playing, but it was possible to find enough places in the old version, and it's definitely enough in 1.3.

"aztec11us" wrote:and the cheats were used AFTER i had, in a legitimate way, opened the trade routes !

( this was done to keep sending resources and proper the stages towards pyramid constructing)

Yeah, but it may well be that the game doesn't recognize the cheated wares and the upkeep isn't paid that way.
By the time your city is ready to build a monument, your city should be producing enough wares to pay the trade routes anyway. You can't really speed that up, because you will have to gather enough educate slots etc anyway. If you do want to run tests, you should pre-build a functioning (!) city in the editor.

"aztec11us" wrote:thus your point SHOULD have been invalid ... and yet, despite plenty servants, farmers, plenty educated, i could not, in a legitimate way, receive imports via water !

You don't need servants, educates etc to receive imports. Have you checked if your upkeep/ export got delivered? if not, the landings are not your problem.

"aztec11us" wrote:and i think allmost 2 hours later, is time enough!
had i waited abit longer, I would have needed a tomb :D

while COTN simulates reality, various processes should still not take foreever!

i' d reckon the A.I. needs to be just a tad faster and smoother
( i dont have any comparrison as to haw faster or smoother, as i havent seen it work yet,so i cant pronounce)

after all, we arent dealing with some regular project...its the most vital one of all....the Eternal Life for the Pharaoh

Yeah, but even him needs people who are fit to build it for him. You care for the people, they care for the tomb. That's the game. I think you have to learn how to build up a functioning city first, before you can complain about the AI.

"aztec11us" wrote:ANY site along the shore, whether in deep or abit closer to shore, should be just fine for a barge landing !

the length of the wooden platform should be self adjusting !!!

It is, to a certain extend.

"aztec11us" wrote:in this regard, Pharaoh game again takes the lead
( if you recall, there, no matter where you d place water crossings or docks or burial platforms for pyramids, the wooden platforms were auto-adjustings in length alot smoother then in COTN!)

If I remember correctly, you had to place them on a straight shoreline, too. Plus, they were needed for everyone to cross a river, while in CotN you only need them for quarried stone and import deliveries.

"aztec11us" wrote:once again..as i wasnt properly understood .... the player should focus on the various logistics and projects, not seeking to make the items usable !

see the difference ?

I think you have trouble setting up your city. If it's new to you, that's no wonder. I needed a good part of the Pharaoh campaign back when I played it to learn how to build a city. CotN is not different in this regard, you jsut have to learn a new building style. Get to know the game, and soon you will be sitting up a city without thinking too much about it. It really isn't that hard, but it needs a little understanding of how the game works and a little experience like any other game to master. If you loook through the user created scenarios section, you'll see that theere are plenty of ideas for projects to complete, but they all require you to know and apply the basics.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:59 pm

By the way, aztec11us!

Even with you purposely breaking your game with illegal cheat code usage & mod vectors, you placed landings in the wrong locations.

Yes, even in real life, you can build things that do not work.

The game properly told you that you did not have usable landings, but you ignored it. When I added a proper landing, trade worked fine.

No bugs

I have told New Players over & over for years. Landings must stick out into DEEP water. I can only lead a horse to water; I cannot make it drink.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I still don't know about the landings...

I made another landing on the other side of the river but the shipwright didn't build a barque for it, despite the report telling I have 30.000 cedar. Maybe he didn't find it, nor can I. Where is all that cheated stuff? :confused:

There are also 30.000 something statues around somewhere, but the workers can't seem to find them either. So I tried if they get the ones from the quarry, but see above, no barque. :rolleyes:

But the new landing should receive the shipments of my newly opened water ;) trade route at last. Edit: It did. Placed a dop on the other side of the river... I guess this whole thing is so completely messed up that no worker knows where all that stuff is or should be placed. I was able to build two vsPyramids, though. Maybe they used the normally (land route) imported stones, though.

I also managed to place a functioning landing near the cliff on the same side as the palace, despite the floodplain. Still no barque, but shipments coming in. Seems the original three landings are just that little bit too off.

Edit: Oooh, I deleted the defective landings and the barques moved to my new landings :) Good barques! :) Let's see if I get the statues across now.

Edit2: Nope, still no statues, neither from the quarry nor from any dop. Back to pyramid building now, seems to work.
Last edited by sakasiru on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

aztec11us

nice :)

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:44 pm

@ SAKASIRU

you said ,,I see, but really, as you start cheating, you won't get any real reasults anymore, because you confuse the AI.''

this confirms my suggestion.... devs should REMOVE ALL CHEATS but streamline the A.I., to compensate !

all your replies about cheats fit here, in this reply of mine!

put simply, i did not want to waste days of playing only to find out something is bugged and/or wrong

initially i HAD water routes ( Daughter of isis has them) but they disspear if upkeep is no longer sent and if i cannot receive water merchandise
(why send upkeep if it wont work ?! RETORIC...ofc it isnt worth it!)

bug was also mentioned on original COTN...

you said:
,, Just look for a straight patch of shoreline which doesn't have miles of floodplain in front of it. It depends a little on which scenario you are playing, but it was possible to find enough places in the old version, and it's definitely enough in 1.3.''

thats the issue....finding one such portion takes a while!
takes way to long and the process is far too ardeous !

it is NOT rational that a building of lesser importance than a Pyramid is 100 x harder to place and use!

i d allmost understand if a pyramid was quite picky about location ( as in Pharaoh), after all, its a vital piece of history !

i dont care what arguments you have !

and NO ... technical arguments ( i.e. graphics cant support this or that etc) do NOT matter to a paying customer

THAT IS THE JOB OF A DEVELOPER ! NOT of a paying player !

welcome to capitalism ftw...customer is always right :D

to your replies concerning checking the import/ export status of all items...

i do not think i m out of line here when i state that the menus to read and manage import exports are mediocre at best !

have you checked out how Pharaoh used to do it ?! BRILLIANT !
simple yet extremmely powerful !

x product ..... import surplases/ export surplases/ stockpile / turn on or off industry etc

i do not want to seem like a mean person, but in alot of ways, Pharaoh is to COTN like Apple's OS Snow Leopard compared to Windows.... alot more streamlined, well established with simplicity masking its power and complexity

even for a trained eye, menus in COTN are quite hard to read, lack right-click context menu or a total, easy to use and see interface, whenere player can see INSTANTENEOUSLY all goods in his city and their status !

COTN's devs have no excuse for lacking such simple, yet powerful interface!

the unwritten golden rule of thumb for all complex games, regardless of genre, is ... the more complexity and difficulty, the easier yet more powerful controls should be

this recipe assured Pharaoh, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Caesar etc of their succes and immortality ( pun intended! :D )

COTN's devs broke this rule ! thats why, sadly, COTN is a second-rated known game ( which is ofcourse, really sad, given how wonderful it is)

this is reflected in both marked share, and wide-spread availability and knowledge of game, as seen in just about every poll and review

you about the wooden platform...thanks for confirming wht i wrote before you :)

while the straigh shoreline request is common, it was alot easier in Pharaoh

once again, as a paying customer, i DO NOT care about technical reasons !
(i.e. map was not made to easily support barges etc ! thats a dev's job, NOT mine!!!)

again, welcome to capitalism...where customer has to be served!

if a scenario has water trade routes it SHOULD easily have barges buildable!
PERIOD

it really isnt new to me at all !

having played COTN original for about 4 months, intensivly, i think i know plenty about BOTh games to compare

aztec11us

final ...

Postby aztec11us » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:45 pm

jud admit..game has flaws in some vital areas that need solving ASAP !

the sooner, the better for ALL ( company and customers alike)

interface (readability, availability of all data and ease of management) is MANDATORY !

SHORT RECAP of fatal lacks in interface:

- help topics way to cluttered with off-topic text; hide the extra long text with a ,,related topics'' buton and leave only the 2 - 3 phrases DIRECTLY linked to the topic the user wanted to see

- use images to show a small schematics of complex issues (building, ordering, dependancies etc). apparently, COTN's devs never found out that 1 immage = 1000 words

- player has no easy acces to fully and instantly manage ALL resources (food, people, import/ exporting surplases, stockpiling or using, turning parts of town ON or OFF on demand etc)....
you' d think that an allmighty Pharaoh could order: STOP working at x site! all work on y site ...or: stockpile x resource ! etc..you get the point!

why an inferior category-wise game like Pharaoh has these and COTN not...its out of my power of comprehension

- word map and menus are abit confusing to read and use ( just look at Pharaoh's....even a lobotomized monkey could read and use a Pharaoh world map....but not a COTN's one!)
this falls under that golden rule i stated above... mask complexity with easy, yet incredible powerfull tools to manage

sadly, COTN breaks that rule on many occassions...

also...add a automated adivisor ( similar to chess ones)...so if asked, they suggest:

i.e.

SUGGESTION: recommend 2 priests for gods
SUGGESTION: recommend 1 overseer for statues
SUGGESTION: recommend fewer/ more farmers/ servants etc
SUGGESTION: recommend opening trade routes with X city, you have the materials etc

ofcourse, these would be GENERAL suggestions, but these would go along way to make things smoohter

if a radical new patch is needed and alot of work...SO BE IT !

then my message to devs is ...GET BACK INSIDE LABS AND DO NOT EXIT UNTIL NEW PATCH IS READY and PROPERLY TESTED

:D

thsse changes + abit of A.I. streaming ( especially regarding transports and routes) will make COTn crush any other game of same category

alot of work? YEAH

is it worth it ? HELL YEAH
Last edited by aztec11us on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Look, I told you so many times now that most of the things you want are already there.This isn't pharaoh with a new graphics. It's a completely new game, and it works differently, and so you have other tools and other displays, but what you need is all there.

I can understand that you are angry about the barque landings, but really, if that's a cause for you to rant and insult about the game at length then it's better you quit playing it. Welcome to capitalism: Don't buy what you don't like.

I also don't believe that you are playing CotN for 4 month now. Your city seems to me way too badly organized for this. Again, this is no AI issue. The AI does what it should. If you don't like what it does, you can say you don't like the rules, but you can't say that the game is broken, because it isn't.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 pm

sakasiru, the numbers in the save are phantoms. They do not exist. This is why you could not get basalt until you get more by the usual way. Also, the HUGE numbers might have overflowed the game's counters, making even new ones not work properly.

As I posted, even the food numbers are wrong. I upgraded the palace when the food total was zero, which should not happen.

aztec11us has broken this save by using illegal cheat codes/mods.

From the Official COTN site

Tilted Mill wrote:Warning: The use of cheat codes is not supported and some (such as Osiris) may cause unintended results, including exit from the game.

aztec11us

New try

Postby aztec11us » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:11 am

here is another try, from scrap with no cheats

its actually going allmost as if i cheated on food and bricks, but no, there are no cheats

also, the pallaace itself is undergoing upgrade

believe it or not....i used Phraoh style building technique, and not really COTN's one from tutorials

in that game, originally, first thing player had to worry was enough food ( so i made a smaller settlement, the basic kit if you will .... one shop, common and luxury for 1 of each merchendise to sell, 1 scribe close to farmers, closer to shore)

old time veterans of Pharaoh will surely easily recognize the style

also, if you look at my indicator for both bricks and bread, you ll see it spike alot, then going down ( meaning food is used and so are bricks, which i assume its a good thing)

in Pharaoh, interdependent buildings had to be relatively close to each other to work best... i did same in here

actually, this city can easily be divided into 3 smaller ones (you ll see the 3 main parts, flood plain up the bank, center and floodplain lower bank) have roughly same basic kit --- food (bakeries), religion and healthcare

some houses are unoccupied, but they will fill up quickly ( as did all those along the bank that were empty abit before the save took place and now they have people)

this gameplay shows actually, how powerful the Pharaoh building style was and how smooth, compare to what is beeing tought in COTn tutorials

the city you see was brought up very fast, and if you take notice, even the noble houses are clear white and not degraded shade !!!

to summ it up .... building placement and overall management matters AS MUCH as in Pharaoh !
... as i do not have 3 hrs + to play just this daily....so i need to be quick and efficient

Pharaoh game play stile in COTN seems to aid the A.I. alot ! allmost as effective as cheating for bricks and food

the tutorial style is slugish, ugly, disorganized and it also does NOT make full use of the A.I. ( tutorial style even hinders A.I at some points)
Last edited by aztec11us on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Alexandria”