My Barges beaching themselves?

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
Alexander Macedonia

My Barges beaching themselves?

Postby Alexander Macedonia » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:14 am

I'm currently playing the Alexandria Scenario that involves building the Great Lighthouse.

Everything went smoothly at first. The barges transported enough limestone to complete the first 'stage' of the great lighthouse, but nearing completion of the second stage, I discovered all three of my barges beached on the shore near where the limestone is dropped off from trade.

I reloaded an old save and the problem seems to persist, sometimes the barges will still be in the water but be similarly unresponsive. At one point the barges bugged out so badly that the laborers pulling the limestone actually went underwater (but then they got stuck on the return trip).

Has anyone come across anything like this before? I play mostly at x2.5 speed, could that have affected it?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:28 am

Howdy, Alexander Macedonia!

This happened on the Alexandria Xpac? News to me!

Can you use the Manage Attachments below the posting box & upload a game save showing this problem?

EDIT: Oh wait. You said limestone. COTN has never handled barging limestone across the Nile very well, especially for the larger pyramids. We either build pyramids on the quarry side or always place the DOP for imported linestone on the side of the Nile we will use it on. The game can get overpowered if a lot of laborers are used & "break" the landing. This might have happened to you. It has to do with the barge only carrying one block.

I would still like to see a save if possible.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alexander Macedonia

Postby Alexander Macedonia » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:56 am

I think you are right about the labor thing, the most significant changes I made recently was adding a LOT of new laborer homes near the lighthouse and my initial laborer's camp.

Anyway, I uploaded the file 'bugged.ank' that shows one beached barge near my drop-off point/barge landing and two more near the great lighthouse that are half-beached, but not moving or being used at all.

I also uploaded a second, older save of the same scenario that should show the system working smoothly as it did before.

Hopefully I uploaded them correctly..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 am

Perfect! Downloading now.

Thank You, Alexander Macedonia! :)

EDIT: Ugh. My worst nightmare. I was wondering when someone would try this on the Pharaos map.

I have only briefly looked at both saves, but will continue looking at it. My first impression is for you to immediately delete the two landings by the Lighthouse & use the autosave to continue. Placing landings there caused the game to use barges instead of hauling by land, since by water was shorter.

One other thing. It would be best if you don't build too close to landings so that space is available unloading/loading. Don't place roads there either. Most of the time, you can get away with it, but not always. A road tells the game "Do not use this tile".

REEDIT: I also had to delete the southern right landing also. The landing next to your DOP. It had a bunch of trapped laborers inside & deleting the landing allowed the game to progress & complete your Lighthouse level by ground hauling.

Also the barges that say when you click on them "deciding what to do" are now broken barges & have been removed from the game (will no longer function). You will need to replace them by building more, but not needed in this scenario.

It's a bug & if you follow my suggestions, this should not happen again.

Nice city! Well done!

Good Luck! :)

REREEDIT: My solution also works on the bugged.ank save. You could also use a few more bakeries near your army & especially a few more papyrusmakers. Your copper imports need a bit more papyrus to get your copper for the next Lighthouse stage. Your way works, but I use a bit more overkill. You have donkeys next to your palace wating on papyrus.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:20 am, edited 8 times in total.

Return to “Alexandria”