Scroll too fast

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
Helle

Scroll too fast

Postby Helle » Fri May 07, 2010 6:56 pm

After I have installed Alexandria, whenever I move the cursor, I go to the edge of the screen. So all I can do is to go from one edge of the screen to the other edge. Which makes it impossible to play. It didnt start out that way, but now it is on all scenatios.
I have turned scroll volume down completely but that doesnt help.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri May 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi!

Have you tried moving with the arrow keys?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Howdy, Helle!

Too fast scroll speeds is something I have noticed with quite a few old games run under W7 (at least I think is it W7 & not just my new Gaming SuperComputer).

Not with COTN though.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri May 07, 2010 8:46 pm

The game has some mouse control under the Settings/Interface menu. Try adjusting the Slide Scroll Speed to the Slow side. Under the Settings/Video menu uncheck Vertical Sync if you have that checked.

Also , on the Video menu, if you are using a wide screen format, such as 1440x900, for the graphics, you might want to try something like 1280x1024 or 1024x768 resolution in the game Video menu. Sometimes using a wide format does strange things to games that weren't specifically made for it.

If you are using any special mouse cursors or Windows desktop themes or have mouse trailers active on your Windows desktop disable them. These can wreak havoc on mouse movement in some games.

If your mouse has any sort of software control panel installed, try disabling it. Sometimes a mouse will have a program that runs in the Windows System Tray in the lower right corner of the screen. Sometimes the program isn't visible, but runs as a process on the Windows Task Manager's Processes list. This one is a bit harder to find because the name of the file doesn't always reveal what it does. So be careful there if you turn something with "end process." A reboot of the system will restart anything you have disabled on the Task Manager.

If none of that works, try going into Window's Control Panel and under the MOUSE utility function adjust the "acceleration" amount. Changing this will change the movement speed of the mouse in Windows too so remember where it was in case you want to change it back.

Lastly, you can always check the mouse manufacturer's web site for any driver update for that model mouse.

Helle

Postby Helle » Sat May 08, 2010 11:55 am

This is strange. When i reloaded the game today there was no problëm. An Yesterday I could play for a while before I had a problem. So my problem is not consistant. That is a problem.
Keith all you surgested I allready have. So the only difference from last I played is a new graphic card and installation of Alexandria.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Ok, glad to hear your problem seems to be resolved.

Sometimes when you run certain programs before another it can cause problems. The first program leaves something behind in memory or changes some setting temporarily and it effects a second program run soon after.

When you experience strange things going on like that, it is not a bad idea to just shut the computer all the way down for a minute or two and then restart it so the memory resident troublemaker gets cleansed. I've had various experiences like that myself in the past.

Shapeshifter878

Postby Shapeshifter878 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 pm

I don´t know if you have this problem still, but I found this in the Readme for the Enhanced version:

"The camera jumps suddenly to the edge of the map when I move the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen.

This is caused by some dual-core AMD processors that report incorrect timing information. Download the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer from here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Unzip the file and run it. It will give you no feedback that it has run, but after you restart your computer, the screen should scroll smoothly.

This also solves some problems with orders panels that don't open correctly and jittery camera movement."

I have a somewhat jittery camera movement when I scroll the map, but I have an Intel processor. It only occurs on the populated areas so I don´t know if the videocard can´t handle all the work or if it´s related to the dual processor that I have. I´m running it on a laptop with a 1 GB Ati Radeon 4650.

Return to “Alexandria”