Alexandria for disc-based CotN...

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
Pharaoh Yamsi

Alexandria for disc-based CotN...

Postby Pharaoh Yamsi » Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Hello, fellow CotNers...

I have recently picked CotN up again, and I would very much like to get the Alexandria EP. However, my CotN is disc-based, and all of the purchase options for Alexandria are direct download. Will any of them work with the disc-based original game? I have seen some people having problems with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Pharoah Yamsi

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 am

Alexandria is only available via digital download. Your game must be updated to version 1.3 before you can install it.

Mine is an original copy disc-based COTN. I got Alexandria through STEAM.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue May 18, 2010 10:00 am

Hi!

If you have problems running the game with the original CD version, try to contact your digital download provider. I have heard some of them throwing in a version of the basic game for free. Worth a try. ;)

Pharaoh Yamsi

Postby Pharaoh Yamsi » Tue May 18, 2010 2:24 pm

"Keith" wrote:Alexandria is only available via digital download. Your game must be updated to version 1.3 before you can install it.

Mine is an original copy disc-based COTN. I got Alexandria through STEAM.

Keith,

So, if I get it from Steam, it will be compatible with the disc-version? I went out to Steam, and it says you must have the Steam version of CotN:EE for their Alexandria to work. Just need a clarification.

Yamsi

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue May 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Howdy, Pharaoh Yamsi!

I had to buy COTN again with Steam, cuz it wouldn't work with my disk. I couldn't even buy Alexandria alone w/o also buying COTN. I bought the entire TM collection package, so it was cheap (too cheap, TM).

Steam rocks! It was VERY worth it!

Others claim that the download Alexandria works with the cd if you get it from gamersgate.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24464&highlight=alexandria

Good Luck :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 pm

I guess it has been too long since I upgraded to Alexandria. I didn't recall having to get COTN again.

I was never a big fan of STEAM in the past. I had problems with it back in the early days of STEAM, but now it looks like they have all those bugs worked out. They even still had my six year old inactive account when I logged back in.

If you have to get COTN again from STEAM, I'd say go ahead and do it. At least you won't ever need your COTN disc again to start the game.

Pharaoh Yamsi

Postby Pharaoh Yamsi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Well,

Now I don't know what to do at all. Steam doesn't look good (I really don't want to buy the original game again). I can't tell if the Impulse version will work, and I am not sure about Gamer's Gate. I looked at it, but I have never dealt with Gamer's Gate. Can somebody throw me a bone without my having to buy the base game again?

Yamsi

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 pm

If you can only install Alexandria to a digitally downloaded version of the game you'll have to bite the bullet. You can get both CotN and Alex for US$13.99. COTN via steam runs US$12.99. Alexandria is US$2.99.

The notice on Alexandria on the STEAM description only says that you must have Children of the Nile Enhanced Edition, but it doesn't specifically say that it has to be the STEAM version. That info does link to their COTN enhanced info page.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm

I just purchased COTN Enhanced w/ Alexandria for 12.49 at Steam. Even though I already the the boxed edition I didn't want to go through the issues others have with the 2 versions.

The game looks fine but I lost my kewl brick paving and other mods. Anyone know how to apply them to the Steam version? :confused:

One thing I noticed: the Steam version picked up the campaign that I was working on in the original CoTN but without the mods..............Bummer

osdeath

Postby osdeath » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

"CatMajik" wrote:I just purchased COTN Enhanced w/ Alexandria for 12.49 at Steam. Even though I already the the boxed edition I didn't want to go through the issues others have with the 2 versions.

The game looks fine but I lost my kewl brick paving and other mods. Anyone know how to apply them to the Steam version? :confused:

Inside Your main steam folder should be one called "Steamapps", inside that there will be a folder called "common" Inside that should be a file called children of the nile or some such, folder directory should be the same as any other Cotn installation then, that's how it works with pretty much every other game, so i cant see why CotN would deviate there.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Howdy, CatMajik!

Both disk & Steam use Documents folder in common for scenarios & game saves.

However, they both have totally separate game install files. Under steamapps, you will see two complete installs, one for COTN enhanced & one for COTN enhanced plus Alexandria (not just Alexandria). So yes, you now have three COTN installed on your computer (as do I) and they all work!

As for modding, you will have to install your mods again on the other game installs.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Howdy, CatMajik!

Both disk & Steam use Documents folder in common for scenarios & game saves.

However, they both have totally separate game install files. Under steamapps, you will see two complete installs, one for COTN enhanced & one for COTN enhanced plus Alexandria (not just Alexandria). So yes, you now have three COTN installed on your computer (as do I) and they all work!

As for modding, you will have to install your mods again on the other game installs.

Thank you Tinkerbell!!!
I'm going to sound stupid here, but, I forgot how to load the mods :o (it has been a few years). I have them in my "Stuff" folder. Any assistance will be ever so appreciated.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Not stupid at all. :)

The building textures are in the data\graphics\buildings\textures folder. This is true for every installation of the program.

On mine, they are in C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\, and I have two folders there: "1.3" and "Alex."

The roads would be in the "terraintextures" folder under the "Graphics" folder.

Let us know if that doesn't make sense. :)

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 am

For those who are still wondering, the Impulse version of Alexandria DOES work with the original boxed/CD version, but I think you have to search your hard drive for your CotN install manually.
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 am

Yes, it does, and you do have to do that.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Not stupid at all. :)

The building textures are in the data\graphics\buildings\textures folder. This is true for every installation of the program.

On mine, they are in C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\, and I have two folders there: "1.3" and "Alex."

The roads would be in the "terraintextures" folder under the "Graphics" folder.

Let us know if that doesn't make sense. :)

Thank you Yahya,
It's amazing how soon we forget these simple things :o . I basically swap out the nice bricks for the ones I don't like in the "terraintextures" folder?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

The plazas? Yes, that's right. Just take your plaza tiles, which should have names identical to certain files in the new folder, and put them there. (You might want to make backup copies of the originals.)

Then when you reload the game, the new plazas will appear there.

If you want, you can even edit the languagetext.ini file to change the label when you place that tile. I used to have some grass tiles in game, and I changed the name of that road tile to "Grass," so it would show properly in-game. I did that because I kept forgetting which was which. :p

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:00 pm

"Yahya" wrote:The plazas? Yes, that's right. Just take your plaza tiles, which should have names identical to certain files in the new folder, and put them there. (You might want to make backup copies of the originals.)

Then when you reload the game, the new plazas will appear there.

If you want, you can even edit the languagetext.ini file to change the label when you place that tile. I used to have some grass tiles in game, and I changed the name of that road tile to "Grass," so it would show properly in-game. I did that because I kept forgetting which was which. :p

Thanks Yahya,
but I think I will not bother with the naming of the tiles, I know my limit and have a tendency to seriously screw-up :o

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Heh. That's cool. But you'll still have them. :)

Return to “Alexandria”