Expansion problem

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
lovfinion

Expansion problem

Postby lovfinion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi folks,

I have thoroughly enjoyed playing Children of the nile and was excited when I found out an expansion was being released, though I was disapointed to find out it was digital download only, but what the heck I purchased from http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/7146/product/Buy-Children-of-the-Nile:-Alexandria-Download.

I unfortunetely didn't read the small print and when I tried installing I got the message saying Children of the Nile instal not found, please instal before installing instal Alexandria, so have I wasted money buying Alexandria, I found some posts in this forum saying if I updated using the enhanced patch the digital download would work, but not for me.

Can anyone say weither I now must purchase the original again to be able to play the expansion?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Howdy, lovfinion!

Yep, we have seen this with many downloads trying to expand the disk game. You might try to hassle the hell outta the download provider, but you might have to re-purchase the enhanced COTN from them.

I had to repurchase the enhanced download from Steam in my case & I have 3 1/2 COTN disks!

Good Luck! :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 pm

The Alexandria requires that you first update your boxed version to v. 1.3, if you have not done so.

http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/downloads/patch.php

The thing is that between version 1.0/1.1/1.2 and 1.3 the install path of the game has changed. With the 1.3 enhanced patch installed many of the game files are moved to a new Tilted Mill folder in the My Documents folder of your computer. Alexandria's installer is probably looking there for the game files and not finding the path or the files.

I have the original boxed version of COTN (updated) & the Steam version of Alexandria and it moves the files once again to a subfolder in the STEAM folder created during the Steam version install. The entire game now loads from the Steam menu without the need for the disc.

Not sure what the D2D version does. You'll have to contact D2D support about that the problem install.

I know it isn't the best, but maybe you can get a credit from D2D if they can't resolve your install problem. I know you can get both COTN & Alexandria for a total of $14 from Steam. The D2D version of Alex won't work with Steam CotN.

I was not a bit Steam fan when it first came into being but since that time about 10 years ago they seem to have gotten their act together and the whole thing works quite well now.

lovfinion

Postby lovfinion » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:12 pm

I have updated with the most recent Enhanced edition patch, guess there is some compatibilty issue here. It is actually pretty poor when customers with the boxed edition cannot play the expansion without having to yet again purchase the original regardless of how cheapy it can be picked up, there are principles.

I probably will buy the game again as I enjoy it imensely, I'm just disappointed at the reasons it required..

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Yes, that is why I tell disk players who want Alexandria to use Steam. Steam has the entire TM game collection (includes Hinterland Orc Lords & Mosby's) as a package deal for cheap! That way, we can claim that our duplicate COTN enhanced was free. ;)

lovfinion

Postby lovfinion » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Ha with hindsight I should have signed up to this forum before purchasing Alexandria, never-mind live and learn :)

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I have the boxed version of CotN and the 1.3 patch that Keith mentioned in his post above. I also have Alexanderia From GamersGate which works much better than the buggy 1.3.

lovfinion

Postby lovfinion » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:57 pm

"tomnobles" wrote:I have the boxed version of CotN and the 1.3 patch that Keith mentioned in his post above. I also have Alexanderia From GamersGate which works much better than the buggy 1.3.

I'm pleased for you that it works with your boxed version, for me with direct2drive download version it doesn't work and thats with the 1.3 patch installed .

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 pm

If only people did find us here, before they buy the game from one provider or the other, it would save a lot of headaches. Hindsight is 20-20.

I would start bugging Direct2Drive support about your problem.

We should have asked this earlier, but what version of Windows are you using? Vista and Windows 7 seem to dump games in a new location that game installers designed for XP may have trouble finding.

lovfinion

Postby lovfinion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:32 am

I'm running off Vista 64 bit. It is a shame the expansion was never released boxed, but I guess it wasn't financially viable to do.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 am

I would have preferred a boxed version. Alexandria was a TM project so they probably didn't have the funds from a publisher to put out a boxed version.

I believe that Vista installs games in a special Games folder instead of the usual C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile or the C:\Program Files\Sega\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile path. The installer may be having problem locating where the game is installed. It looks like C:\Games\ is the path used by Vista for game installs.

What is the install path to your version of CotN? (where is the COTN.EXE file and game files)

During the install watch for a pause that lets you browse for the install location. Point it to the folder where the game is installed before clicking OK.

You may want to try running the installer for Alexandria in the XP compatability mode.

Run the installer using the "Run As" right click command then select Administrator to see if that helps.

Mak_mouppy

Expansion problem

Postby Mak_mouppy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:44 pm

A patch would be more than welcome.Its been a couple of months since the last news about it so I assume it has been abandoned..
Id prefer a full-fletched sequel rather than an expansion.Or maybe even a new IP?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Which one are you referring to? The Enhanced Edition and Alexandria have been out for a long time already.

Return to “Alexandria”