laborers not quarrying

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
Roxxsmom

laborers not quarrying

Postby Roxxsmom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 am

I am on the third scenario in the Alexandria campaign, called Alexandria. I have built a labor camp with shops, temple, bakery etc. over by the granite quarry and have set the overseer to quarry granite stele. The overseer is happy enough and goes out to oversee the site frequently, but the laborers are not going over to the nearby quarry and cutting any steles. I have made sure their huts are open to the outside (doors facing right way). They seem to stand inside their huts and twitch a lot or else wander into the main part of town closer to the river to wander around aimlessly until they decide to go home to bed. I have no idea why and it's driving me bonkers. My laborers huts are all "green" as in their needs are all being met. There are no other overseers or other labor sites yet in my city, so they are not wandering off to help with a different project.

I am not sure how to attach screenshots or saved games to a forum thread. I tried to do so using the little "attachment" icon and seeing if that works. It didn't-message said the attempt to upload the screenies from my computer failed as did the attempt to upload a saved game. :(

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 am

Right now the attachment function is turned off it seems. We had a lot of spamming going on and I think Jeff turned it off along with registrations for the time being.

In the time being you can setup a free account on Microsoft's online website and use their SkyDrive file storage to upload your files to. Then all you have to do is give us the link to the file once it's been uploaded there.

See my reply in this thread:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=280929&postcount=6

Roxxsmom

Postby Roxxsmom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:06 am

Thanks for the advice. Because of my cautious nature, I've been leery to use off site data storage for anything other than pictures, but computer games are hardly going to be much of a problem, so I'll try to do that when I get a chance.

Roxxsmom

Postby Roxxsmom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:30 am

O.K.,I uploaded my saved game to microsoft office live spaces. I hope it is now accessible.

Note the laborers do just fine when I switch the overseer to carving a statue. But when I switched the overseer back to quarrying granite obelisks, same deal. The laborers just hang out in their houses while the overseer is at the quarry site.

https://cid-ef46167220cdca3d.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/EW7.ank

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 am

I get an error that your file is no longer available, Roxxsmom, but I think I know the problem, because you didn't mention having built anything that requires granite.

Granite is never quarried unless there is a demand for it in the city. That means that you first must build a base for either small stele, stele, obelisk, or grand obelisk, and the bricklayers must build it up to 50%.

Once that is done, the laborers will go to the quarry and carve out the stele you need.

The other possible trigger for carving granite is that you be trading granite to another city. If that is the case, laborers will quarry it relentlessly.

I could be wrong, but I believe if you set an overseer to quarry granite, he will go there even without a demand in the city for granite, but none of the laborers will go.

Also, to build anything granite, you must have accomplished something in the scenario, like opening a world map site, conquering an enemy, exploration, and so on. The scenario designer can give you the ability to build them from the beginning, but that is normally not done.

Have you already built a base for a granite structure?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Yes, your link gives an error. Did you put the file in the PUBLIC folder?

Here's the link to my own Public folder as an example:

http://cid-f52f1a54e1e1a445.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public

And a link to the "lost tracks" of music for Pharaoh:

http://cid-f52f1a54e1e1a445.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Lost%20Tracks.zip

Roxxsmom

Postby Roxxsmom » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 am

I think Yahya hit on the problem. I was trying to get some steles and obelisks stockpiled so that I wouldn't have to pull the overseer off whatever they were doing later in the game to quarry them when needed. I haven't tried to make a monument using granite in my city yet. It's funny though that the overseer goes over to the site and stands there with the thought of granite over his head, but the laborers won't work.

I don't remember this being an issue when I played Children of the Nile before, but maybe I've forgotten.

I'll have to check and see about the file's availability in case I run into more issues. I'm new to that site, so I probably messed it up. So far, the city was running ok except for the granite issue.

Thanks for the replies!

Return to “Alexandria”