Construction problems make this game an unplayable mess

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
doublenerds

Construction problems make this game an unplayable mess

Postby doublenerds » Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 pm

OK, so I decide to build a Great Library. On my first attempt, I get to the stage of construction where I need to add fine limestone and gold. 13 fine limestone get added, I have another 150 in storage (more than enough for the stage, which requires 60).

I have 4 overseers, all on great works construction. I have 55 laborers. The overseers keep walking over to the construction site, the site says it is awaiting delivery of fine limestone, and every one of my laborers is standing there in lazy oaf mode.

Out of desperation, I delete my limestone cargo drop-off and import new limestone. No success. I delete all my laborers and rebuild them. No success.

Finally, I start a whole new library from scratch. Now I am on the first stage after brick, and my workers are hauling regular limestone to the site. Except suddenly, 3 sledges get tangled up in each other and now I have 3 teams of laborers playing tug of war in the same spot, with none of them able to get out of the tangled mess. While waiting for the situation to resolve I have taken a shower, watched 2 episodes of Game of Thrones, and done a partial water change on my fish tank. I officially give up.

It feels to me as if there was absolutely NO quality control done on this expansion at all. What a disappointment.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun May 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, it sounds like it's either a random glitch in your save game or you have a undetected problem in your city.

Rather than go through an extensive list of "what ifs", it would be best if you could upload a copy of your current save game to someplace like mediafire.com or Windows SkyDrive , both are internent storage sites for files. Then provide us with a link to your save file in your next reply. The upload function of this board has been disabled because of recent spamming.

That way we can download the save game and "take your city apart" so-to-speak and see what the problem might be.

Windows SkyDrive is free, but requires that you create an account as does mediafire.com. Windows SkyDrive is a personal storage site run by Microsoft where you can put files into a public folder where anyone with the link to the file can access it with virtually no advertising. I use it myself to store files there.

Windows SkyDrive signup:
https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1305481449&rver=6.1.6206.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fcid-f52f1a54e1e1a445.office.live.com:80%2Fbrowse.aspx%2FPublic&lc=1033&id=250206&cbcxt=doc

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 am

"doublenerds" wrote:OK, so I decide to build a Great Library. On my first attempt, I get to the stage of construction where I need to add fine limestone and gold. 13 fine limestone get added, I have another 150 in storage (more than enough for the stage, which requires 60).

I have 4 overseers, all on great works construction. I have 55 laborers. The overseers keep walking over to the construction site, the site says it is awaiting delivery of fine limestone, and every one of my laborers is standing there in lazy oaf mode.

Out of desperation, I delete my limestone cargo drop-off and import new limestone. No success. I delete all my laborers and rebuild them. No success.

This step needs 60 fine limestone AND 60 gold. It does it in steps, a bit of limestone, then some gold, then more limestone, then more gold.

I am guessing that lack of gold is the problem. A sled holds 12 gold & every step except for the last one requires a full load before it will happen. Got gold in large quantities? What I do is put my gold reserve on like 100, then after I have a bunch like 20, reduce the reserve to zero. Then gold reserve back to high. Wash rinse & repeat. Your jewelry shops also wanna steal your gold.

Yeah, I know the message sez waiting for limestone. It is incorrect.

Finally, I start a whole new library from scratch. Now I am on the first stage after brick, and my workers are hauling regular limestone to the site. Except suddenly, 3 sledges get tangled up in each other and now I have 3 teams of laborers playing tug of war in the same spot, with none of them able to get out of the tangled mess. While waiting for the situation to resolve I have taken a shower, watched 2 episodes of Game of Thrones, and done a partial water change on my fish tank. I officially give up.

Hmmm, I would need a game save for this one. I am guessing that you deleted something you should not have with laborers in motion or built a landing in a very bad spot. Yeah, I know, not player-proofed. By the way, this was not due to Alexandria X-Pac, it was introduced in the Enhanced patch.

It feels to me as if there was absolutely NO quality control done on this expansion at all. What a disappointment.

The 2nd problem is very rare & you will probably never see it again. A game save would let me see how it happened & I could teach you about things to avoid doing.

The major problems with Alexandria, to me, are scenario map designs. TM forgot how to make maps, including the simpliest things every scenariomaker learns very quickly ~ Pathing issues. Each scenario can play well if you avoid building in problem areas.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon May 16, 2011 3:52 am, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Alexandria”