Printer question

General Insider discussion
Miut

Printer question

Postby Miut » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Off topic I know, but I reckon we have a LOT of knowledgeable folks here.

Looking for a color printer, with individual color cartridges - not one with 1 multi color and 1 black cartridge. I want one with indivuidual Cyan, Magenta etc as I am told these exist. Googling brings up too many hits to wade through, so does my fav store, Fry's, up here. :(

Needed to be a work horse for the text printing, in that I have a lot of text output as a writer, and occasional color use. NOT costing arm and leg, I need both of mine. :p And don't need an all in one.
Be nice if replacement cartridges were not too expensive. And be nice if not an HP as I dislike them for any color work. :(

Suggestions, pretty please?

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:48 pm

The only brand printers I buy are Canon their higher end printers use 1 black and 3 or 4 color cartridges. The only problem is that the ink is usually expensive. Costing about $100 to buy a full set but since you can buy the cartridges individually it doesn't have to too painful ;) Will check out the newer offerings and make a model recommendation. Have tried other brands of printers and not been happy with them.

Edited for recommendation:
Canon Pixma iP 4500 uses 5 ink cartridges the most expensive is black at $17 and the 4 color cartridges are $15 each. Printer should be about $130.00 This would be my recommendation :D

There is a more expensive model which use 8 cartridges at $500 for the printer I think it might be overkill.
Pixma Pro 9000 ink is $15 for each cartridge actually including an red and a green cartridge.
Last edited by mouse on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ramuhotep

Postby ramuhotep » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Another possibilty would be the Epson Workforce series. The Workforce 30 retails for about $70. It uses 5 cartrides (two black). They have regular and high-capacity cartridges. The black goes for about $17 ($20 for the high-capacity) and the 3 colors go for about $12.50 ($17 for high-capacity).

I used a Canon Stylus for about 3 years until it accidentally got knocked off its stand and the roller got messed up (you know the deal, cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one). Now I use a Lexmark all-in-one because it was the only one they had with a flatbed scanner.

-- Ray

Miut

Postby Miut » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:16 am

Sorry for late reply - thanks, but I used a Lexmark as a stop gap when I first moved to the USA until my belongins arrived by boat. I found it an awful printer. :( OK it was a cheap one, but it got binned when mine arrived as not even my son could make it work on his PC.

The criterion for a new printer is that every ink has its own cartridge - no more multi color ones that waste ink because one color has run out.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:52 am

I'm having excellent luck with my currrent Canon i860 inkjet printer. I've had Epson and HP printers in the past. My last one was an HP and it was tempermental and it broke after couple years.

My Canon does most things well. It's about 4 years old now, and still going strong. It has seperate cartridges for black, and each of the colors. They run around $12/cartridge or less depending on where you order them from.

You can check out their current models at www.canon.com or estore.usa.canon.com, which is their online store.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

The Epson Stylus Photo R1900 Ink Jet Printer and the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Ink Jet Printer both print excellent pictures-- very high resolution. They're a little bit slow (~2 minutes, 13x19 full color) if you use the highest resolution. The 1900 does have two blacks and more colors, but it is only very marginally better for a 50% higher price (and the single sheet guide doesn't work well).

The main attraction for me is that they print up to 13 inch wide pictures!
The cartridges are high capacity. From my experience, you'll be able to print maybe 200 full color 13x19 sheets if you wanted to drain them. There are 6 cartridges at $19 each directly from Epson, so that comes to about $0.50 per full color 13x19 page.

The Epson Stylus Photo 1400 costs $250 after the mail-in rebate.

It supports a range of color matching options, from the default to a custom color table.

If you are really a cheapskate, though, get a Canon BJC-6000 from the junkyard. It is not good for professional pictures or photos, though, as it's low resolution. I've had it for about 16 years (!) and it's still going!
Last edited by Agamemnus on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miut

Postby Miut » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 am

Ah, dang, late Reply from me. :)

I took Mouse's advice and looked hard at the Canon Pixma iP 4500. Turned out Fry's had in for their After Xmas sale a Canon Pixma iP 4600 for $99 with 5 color cartridges, and a USB port to directly input camera data etc. Ibought it with a little Royalty money I got at the same time, and lI ove it. :)

Thanks to you all for the suggestions, and Mouse for the advice I took. :)

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Cool glad you found a printer to meet your needs ;) The price was very good too :p Now when you print out your drafts of the new book you can use your lovely new printer.

Return to “Insiders General”