Leveling

For gameplay questions and strategy discussion
[Tom]

Leveling

Postby [Tom] » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:49 am

OK, now how does it work exactly?

- Every time I hit my opponent, the grey bar behind the sword icons grows (depending on the level of the opponent)
- Every time I block (?) a hit of my opponent, the grey bar behind the shield icons grows (depending on the level of my opponent)
- Every time I'm wounded by an opponent, the grey bar behind the HP grows (depending on the level of my opponent?)

If a grey bar is "full", it resets and adds one sword/shield icons or some HP - depending on which bar was full.

I GUESS that every 3, 5, 7, 10 (?) "full" bars you gain a level - so it's a little bit like the level system of Oblivion (increasing skills by using them, and after a certain number of increments you gain a level)

Is this correct? Anybody know exactly WHEN the shield bar grows? (Getting hit seems to grow the HP bar...)
Oh, and of course Priests (good and evil) level when healing or cursing enemies. I was thinking of a curse duel between my dark priest and a goblin shaman - since it does no damage, they can curse each other 20 minutes until my dark priest levels up... ^^

Agarwel Idiriz

Postby Agarwel Idiriz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:18 am

You are right, this is confusing. But I have another problem with leveling - I will put it here insteed of new topic:
Every time the grey bar is full it resets and increase some stats. But... when the stats bar is full (of swords or shields) it also resets and start from the begginging.
If Im choosing between two followers is there any way how to tell which of them is stronger? If one have 5 swords and second 1 sword - who have bigger attack? It is impposible to tell. :-( You can have lvl 1 char with 6 sword and the lvl 8 char with jsut 2 swords in th stats. Some little popup number would be great.

Ashery

Postby Ashery » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:52 am

"Agarwel Idiriz" wrote:You are right, this is confusing. But I have another problem with leveling - I will put it here insteed of new topic:
Every time the grey bar is full it resets and increase some stats. But... when the stats bar is full (of swords or shields) it also resets and start from the begginging.
If Im choosing between two followers is there any way how to tell which of them is stronger? If one have 5 swords and second 1 sword - who have bigger attack? It is impposible to tell. :-( You can have lvl 1 char with 6 sword and the lvl 8 char with jsut 2 swords in th stats. Some little popup number would be great.

There should be larger swords/shields on the left of the bar that represent 10 of the smaller.

Not sure about the OP's question...it's one that I wonder about too...

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:55 am

"Agarwel Idiriz" wrote:( You can have lvl 1 char with 6 sword and the lvl 8 char with jsut 2 swords in th stats.

I believe a level 8 guy is much stronger no matter how many swords there are, compared to a lvl 1 person.

[Tom]

Postby [Tom] » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:36 am

I don't think it's just the level - since you can only level if you improve your "skills", the level 8 guy has to have better skills. I thinks it's the point with small/big icons.
A lot of people seem to have problems to distinguish them...

Back to topic: Anybody experience with the level system? How exactly it works?

Agarwel Idiriz

Postby Agarwel Idiriz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:04 am

Kiya:
It was just extreme example. When you have wto 5lvl guys and both have for example almost same swords or shields... how to recognize if one has more that the other?
I also noticet that the left icon is getting bigger. But in the town wiev etc... there so small difference, that it is alomst impossible to recognize.
And something so small as small popup number woul be so great help. Even some indicator telling home much improvements is neccessary to level up. Now it just feel too random.

Boaster

Postby Boaster » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Three kinds of experience: Attack, Defense, Health.

Any combination of 3 experience bars will yield a Level up.

In Level up, you get a choice of 3 stats to improve: Attack, Defense and Health. And you also get 1 bonus stat to improve, or ability.

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:44 pm

I think attack and defense values are fractional. All the extra swords and shields are representing the fractional increase of your attack and defense skills. So the guy with two swords or shields of a given color has 2.0, while the guy with one color shield or sword, and a whole row of secondary colors behind them, is like 1.8.

I agree though, it's not intuitive and on smaller resolutions it's messy and hard to read. If they reallllyyyyyy want to keep the icons for stylistic purposes, just give us a mouse over value.

Boaster

Postby Boaster » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 pm

I agree.

Rezon

Postby Rezon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:58 pm

I actually find the small sword < big silver sword < big gold sword
system quite intuitive, and quite likeable in a retro kind of way.

Ashery

Postby Ashery » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:53 am

The color shouldn't matter...

They just indicate bonuses gained from items or base character stats.

Create a new character with decent gear and unequip his items. Sometimes the larger shields complicate things, however, as I noticed that a gold shield doesn't necessarily represent 10defense from items.

fleshtonegolem

Postby fleshtonegolem » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Does anyone understand how craftsman build better items?

Is it related to their stats or their level?

Mouse overs with info is sorely needed in this game. I think it's great, but I really wish I wasn't required to intuit so much.

Mouse overs and an update to the manual with more detail about town building and statistical info and or formulas would make me a happy happy camper.

Nyarlahotep

Postby Nyarlahotep » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:35 pm

just a quick note it seems to me that the yellow swords and shields are the affects of items where as the brown/grey icons are the characters base stat

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:10 pm

"fleshtonegolem" wrote:Does anyone understand how craftsman build better items?

Is it related to their stats or their level?

As far as I know there are 3 ways to improve the quality of what someone's making:

1) Upgrade their building, an Armorer makes better stuff than a smith, who makes better stuff than a craftsman.

2) Make the person research

3) There's a prayer that Light/High priests can do called God Of Fates or something, which increases the chance that a manufactured item will be magical.

And that's it. It would be nice if they gained experience from making things and if they made better things at higher levels, but unfortunately that's not the case.

crossmr

Postby crossmr » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:10 pm

"Boaster" wrote:Three kinds of experience: Attack, Defense, Health.

Any combination of 3 experience bars will yield a Level up.

In Level up, you get a choice of 3 stats to improve: Attack, Defense and Health. And you also get 1 bonus stat to improve, or ability.

4 not 3.
If you level up 4 abilities you can level up and then improve one.

magnemoe

Postby magnemoe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:21 pm

"Gerblyn" wrote:As far as I know there are 3 ways to improve the quality of what someone's making:

1) Upgrade their building, an Armorer makes better stuff than a smith, who makes better stuff than a craftsman.

2) Make the person research

3) There's a prayer that Light/High priests can do called God Of Fates or something, which increases the chance that a manufactured item will be magical.

And that's it. It would be nice if they gained experience from making things and if they made better things at higher levels, but unfortunately that's not the case.

The level is combat level has nothing to do with production. A level 10 hunter or farmer doesn’t produce more food than a level 1. I assume the same is true for craftsmen.

Only benefit of high level is that they would have less chance to get killed during a raid. It also useful to have some high level characters with good fighting skills as backup of someone in you party get killed, Farmers are nice as backup, unlike craftsmen and guards they can move into any max upgraded buildings and you got multiple of them.
Herders are also useful to update then you get the dragon egg, kick out the level 1 herder and put inn a high level herder to control your dragon.

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:23 pm

I don't mind not being able to tell exactly what numbers my followers have. In real life, would you know for sure that Joe was .6 better at swordfighting than Sam, but .4 worse at defending? I've played softball for decades with some guys, and couldn't tell you that exactly who is a better hitter at any given moment. The sword and shield icons give a good idea, in general, who is good, or who is not so good.

Baxder

Postby Baxder » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:16 am

Great point, Jim. I have advocated before some kind of character sheet for your character, (coming soon apparantly), but to have one for each follower would be a bit too much IMO. I dig your addition of realism to it.

Trithemius

Postby Trithemius » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 pm

"Gerblyn" wrote:And that's it. It would be nice if they gained experience from making things and if they made better things at higher levels, but unfortunately that's not the case.

I cannot seem to make my level 2 armourer perform research, but my level 6 armourer can.

Trithemius

Postby Trithemius » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:54 pm

"Trithemius" wrote:I cannot seem to make my level 2 armourer perform research, but my level 6 armourer can.

It seems to be linked to the Attack score. When I added a Fine Hammer (Attack 5) to replace weaponsmith's Hammer (Attack 2) his Attack score was high enough to allow me to research new items for him.

Return to “Gameplay Help &amp; Strategy”