Leveling

For gameplay questions and strategy discussion
fleshtonegolem

Postby fleshtonegolem » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:00 am

"Trithemius" wrote:It seems to be linked to the Attack score. When I added a Fine Hammer (Attack 5) to replace weaponsmith's Hammer (Attack 2) his Attack score was high enough to allow me to research new items for him.

Wow I'll have to check that out.

I really wish they would detail the manual a bit better. I like figuring things out in a game, but it feels like I'm totally missing how people gains skills and what they are.

I have read people say that dragons gain levels while they are in town.

If that's the case, why can't my merchant gain levels while working. I think a level 12 merchant should make more money for me than a level 3 merchant. The same goes for a farmer or a herder/hunter

A higher level craftsman should make better stuff...

People should gain a bit of exp everyday they work. Obviously they won't level like they would if you are taking them with you and slaying gnolls and trolls all over the country side, but they should still gain some exp.

I had a level 1 farmer since day one and after I don't know how many days, but at minimum 7 hours of game play later was still a level one.

That was probably at least 30-40 days. I should hope someone would be a better farmer after doing it for that long if those days were in real time. :)

Does anyone know the official word on how that stuff works?

Can some one from tilted mill gives use a little run down on the concept. The Manual as is doesn't spell it out in detail.

crossmr

Postby crossmr » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:13 am

Yes, they should level and leveling should improve their output. A level 10 farmer should be better than a level 1 farmer. Even if its something small, like 0.25 food per level or something like that.

magnemoe

Postby magnemoe » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:34 pm

"crossmr" wrote:Yes, they should level and leveling should improve their output. A level 10 farmer should be better than a level 1 farmer. Even if its something small, like 0.25 food per level or something like that.

But the level in the game is only combat level, has nothing to do with work skill. The only way to raise the combat level would be to fight.
If you took two level 1 farmers, added one to your team and let the other farm, the one in your team would be level 8-9 at the end the one at home would still be level 1, but he has used lots of time farming and should be better at it then the one who used all his time fighting.

Best solution would be that people gained levels slowly at home. Perhaps some sort of training facility. This would also help making them more able to withstand a raid.
The level increase would be far slower than if they was fighting but it would help.

Innovan

Postby Innovan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:13 pm

>Best solution would be that people gained levels slowly at home.

Disagree here. Turn off raiders and let the game run overnight. Look! Everyone's level 10,000!

The idea that people gain experience just by sitting at home and never going out into the world would be a big comfort to 35 year olds still living in their parent's basement and living on twinkies. But alas it ain't true.

It makes sense that craftmen can only research after they've gone out into the world and levelled some ...but I'm still kinda doubtful that what they make is ever going to be better than what you find in a level 5 nest.

crossmr

Postby crossmr » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:56 am

So you're saying that people don't get better at their job by doing it over and over?
How do you think people train?
I made a suggestion in another thread that you should be able to buy a trainer building who would cause your people to level over time. As for being level 10,000, this is a time attack game. Your time score would become 0, and you'd end up with a score of 0, so letting it go over night to reach level "10,000" (if it were even possible you'd be levelling too fast) would be of no benefit.

fleshtonegolem

Postby fleshtonegolem » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:43 am

The way I am seeing this game make sense as far as level and professions is something like this

Each profession Should have a different stat/level scheme

Each profession Would not have the same base stats at level 5 would they?

If each profession has the same scheme then I want to right new level stat schemes for them in a mod damn it!

I think that's much more intimate than a generic per level stat system

I know as you gain level in the real world it's determined by what you do, but a level 5 guard and a level 5 farmer shouldn't have the same base stats if they have no equipment.

That's the crux of the argument for me.

As far as the people in your town leveling up, I think it make sense that they should get a certain level of EXP for each shield or potion or person that's healed.

Does a Doctor get exp for healing the towns folk after a raid if he's not in the party? He should.

Examples of gaining exp without being in party

A Merchant gets a little exp every time you sell something

A farmer/herder gain x for each piece of food created
higher level farms and fertilizer would help the farmer gain levels faster

A witch/alchemist/wizard/doctor x for each potion

A Guard should for protecting the town (not sure if he only gets exp if in party)

A Priest/Doctor X for healing

Any profession that creates an item
All Professions get exp for researching

I would love to get a level update at the end of a day and find out my farmer gained a level and I get to choose which to level up with my two points; Attack,Defense,Health.

I think it should take a bit for someone to gain a level, but it should happen. Maybe 5 days for a farmer to get from level 1 to level 2.

:)

This might be to micro managment for most, but I like to think they're is a benefit from keeping your level 1 farmer around the whole game since day one and not kicking him out of town.
Last edited by fleshtonegolem on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Innovan

Postby Innovan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Is this correct? Given Leveling is a third of the game's byline ("Loot Level Build"), I should probably understand it better.

Every time you attack, defend or heal/get healed, the bar behind that stat grows. Once the bar is filled, it resets and adds one more to that stat. Once you get three bars (mix and match any type) you get to level your character.

There are small swords/shields (=1) and large sword/shields (=10). Silver swords and brown shields = from your stats, gold versions = from your equipment.

Health you can tell just by hovering over the health bar.
Last edited by Innovan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baxder

Postby Baxder » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:30 am

"fleshtonegolem" wrote:This might be to micro managment for most, but I like to think they're is a benefit from keeping your level 1 farmer around the whole game since day one and not kicking him out of town.

It wouldn't be micromanagement if they auto-leveled the way your party members do, which I actually prefer.

tizubythefizo

Postby tizubythefizo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Some people can't grasp that the levels are only for combat. Those that can grasp it, want people to slowly level up while they're doing their job.

Let us think about that for a minute. Levels are pure combat, so a farmer farming at home and not fighting,no matter how long he farmed, WOULD NOT GAIN ANY COMBAT EXP!!! so slowly leveling up combat exp at home,dumb idea. (training facility maybe could add small amounts of exp up to,say,level 4 like dungeon keeper 2, however while their training, they shouldn't be producing food or goods).

What I think would be a MUCH MUCH MUCH better idea(and this one'll actually make everyone happy) is to have TWO diferant level systems. One for pure combat, and one for their job.

Say you have 2 farmers(seems to be the cliche around here). you take farmer A out to fight, he comes home and is level 5 from level 1(combat), however his farming skills are still level 1.

Now farmer B worked on the farm all day, and gained some farming exp(it should be a set amount a day, no gaining 10 levels of farming in 1 day,would be sort of unbalanced, but for arguments sake,lets say he gained a level). He would be Level 1 combat, level 2 farming.

As he gains more levels of farming, upgrades to the farm would become available, and he would become more efficiant increasing food produced, type of food(more than one food source should make town satisfaction increase).

That would be a cool system, as it would add some worth to the more generic jobs(i.e.farmer)

Instead of not caring if your level 1 farmer dies since you can just quickly replace him, if he was combat lev 1, farming lev 10, he'd be damn near irriplaceable and you would for sure want to protect him(making guards even more important)

Xarne

Postby Xarne » Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 pm

"Trithemius" wrote:It seems to be linked to the Attack score. When I added a Fine Hammer (Attack 5) to replace weaponsmith's Hammer (Attack 2) his Attack score was high enough to allow me to research new items for him.

You could have given him a Chocolate Covered Twinkie (+7 Attack) and that wouldnt have changed his ability to do research. The level of the building is what is needed for research, not the tools in hand. Only Weaponsmith / Armorsmith can conduct research, once their buildings have been upgraded.

Yes, combat and domestic exp should be 2 different pools, and yes a higher level class should be better at both aspects of their job (combat/trade skill), but unfortunately thats asking a bit much from this game. So basically the only thing that matters is the NPC's level - and even then it only applies to combat. Level 1 or 100 farmer will still produce the same amt of food, given the same type of farm and equipment
Last edited by Xarne on Fri May 01, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CannibalBob

Postby CannibalBob » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:02 pm

For those having trouble getting higher level townspeople:
What worked for me is - build fame and money. Once you have enough, start booting people out and moving higher level people in. Late game means you'll have plenty of cash!

Moondoggie

Postby Moondoggie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Well booting people out and replacing them with higher level characters is definitely the required strategy. But personally i feel a sense of attachment to the village i am trying to build and i wish there was another way to level them up.

The best way in my opinion is to have some sort of barracks building where your villagers can go get combat training. The barracks could be an upgrade for the guard post and needs to be run by a guard. Villagers can then be set to go training instead of working.

Adding a domestic 'skill' level would definitely add an entirely new level of strategic depth, but when i look at it, i think that was never the purpose of the game. I feel that the game is geared towards the adventure party hack and slash. The village is only required to support the adventure party and not the main purpose of the game.

Return to “Gameplay Help & Strategy”