Portal use problem

For gameplay questions and strategy discussion
VaGamer

Portal use problem

Postby VaGamer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi, I just started with Hinterland, it was mentioned in MaxPC so I thought I'd give it a try.

Game seems to run well, except I can't make the Portal I found work. The game says I've cleared the area of mobs, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the right place, fairly large blue glowing round. I've tried clicking on it every way I can think of, as per the manual, left, right, both, with no luck.

I'm having a hard time getting back to town in time so I'm a bit frustrated which in turn may be causing me to miss something obvious.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

CowExploder

Postby CowExploder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:10 am

Quick question, do you have Vista by any chance? The portals don't seem to like Vista. After I got an automatic update of Vista, they seemed to work fine. I'm not exactly sure of the reason.

Other people have tried updating DirectX and their graphics drivers to fix the problem.

VaGamer

Postby VaGamer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 am

"CowExploder" wrote:Quick question, do you have Vista by any chance? The portals don't seem to like Vista. After I got an automatic update of Vista, they seemed to work fine. I'm not exactly sure of the reason.

Other people have tried updating DirectX and their graphics drivers to fix the problem.

I'm using XP but the DirectX is possible. I'm using a DX 9 card, and I'm still at DX 9.0c. So, I'll give that a try. This machine is so old its been a long time since any new NVidia drivers actually effected it. (I'm putting a daughter through NYU, need I say more? ;) )

Thanks for the reply, I'll post here if it works or not.

VaGamer

Postby VaGamer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:34 am

"CowExploder" wrote:Quick question, do you have Vista by any chance? The portals don't seem to like Vista. After I got an automatic update of Vista, they seemed to work fine. I'm not exactly sure of the reason.

Follow up,

I suspected that Direct X won't upgrade past 9.0c on XP, and it won't. However, I did go hit NVidia for the lastest WHQL's and sure enough that worked.

Honestly, I feel dumb for not thinking of that, I've been doing PC's since '82 for a living. But this card is so old, 7800GS, I just discounted even the possibility that they would issue a driver change that would effect it!

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm in negotiations with my wife for a new PC this year, the daughter was SUPPOSED to graduate last May, but now she is doing a 5th year...

immexia09

Portal use problem

Postby immexia09 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:10 am

In Beta2 when bots were added I posted on the forumplanet "Quake Wars Beta Boards" that the bots werent using the turbo in the vehicles. After demo was released I noticed that they still dont seem to use it.

Return to “Gameplay Help & Strategy”