List of beginner hints please?

For gameplay questions and strategy discussion
whathappenus

List of beginner hints please?

Postby whathappenus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 am

I got the game and I am having a lot of trouble figure things out. I have learned to hire farmers to produce more gold. My hero goes in excursion killing stuff to raise money. But that's as far as I got and I am not sure how to proceed. Can some "elders" post a list of beginner hints please? don't have to structure them just list whatever comes to mind, Thank you!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Howdy, whathappenus!

I am still a New Player also, so I cannot really help you too much.

There is a Game Manual off my Windows Start Menu that has a lot of information, but I have not read it yet, cuz I am weird that way. I love the chaos of not knowing how to play a new game.

I play Orc Lords every day & am still going through every character possible on easy short mode. I am learning new stuff all the time.

Try the manual & that should help you even if the pros don't chime in in this thread. Read all the threads should also help, but I'm also staying away from them for now. ;) Later, I definitely will rip apart this forum section to improve my gameplay & learn from the pros.

Good Luck!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whathappenus

Postby whathappenus » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 am

I found the following threat which is very helpful:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18770

The "manual" is not really very informative. If any other new player looks at this post I suggest looking at the manual to get a grasp of the ideas, then look at the link above, and then just play the game, trying things and be patient. After 2+ hours of trying things I am getting a better grasp. This game slowly builds in you. Its a shame that the devs don't post here a mini-walkthough for the first 10 minutes or so of a sample game. You know:

1. pick yeoman because its easier
2. disable "requests" because its easier
3. Hire the first farmer that appears by constructing a house for him
4. Explore the immediate surroundings of town. To attack enemies simply click on them. If health is low move health potion to your portrait
5. If in trouble, run back to town
and so on...

Moondoggie

Postby Moondoggie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 am

Here's some helpful hints.

You can also move your character around using the W,A,S,D keys.
Pressing 1,2,3,4 keys automatically consumes a healing potion and heals the corresponding character. 1 for your main character and 2,3,4 for your 3 adventure party followers.

You will need to set up a hostel hire a merchant to provide you a stable income once you have enough food producers.
With a merchant in your village, you can 'throw away' unwanted items and get gold in return. And you can do this anywhere even while adventuring.

The ballistae in the watchtowers fire even if the guard is dead. lead the enemy in circles round the watchtower if you are having trouble with raiders.

I usually take a healer along in my party early on in the game. Acolytes are healers. I think hebalists are also healers too though i rarely take them out. Make sure you equip them with wands or they won't cast their spells.
There are no armour restictions for spellcasters. You can slap on a full plate armour and tower shield on your spellcasters. It does not effect their specllcasting.
However, robes are generally more suited for spellcasters as robes boost attack power and usually your spellcasters rarely will get into melee fights and therefore does not need the higher defense.
Healers tend to level slowly as they don't get into fights often and thus cannot gain XP easily. If you find your healer's level lagging behind you party, the easiest is to fire him and hire a newer higher level healer.The other option is to slap on a sword and some heavy armour on the healer and let him go melee some enemies.
The attack power rating is the same wether you are casting a spell ar meleeing. So if you level up your attack power meleeing, this attack power improvement remains when you switch back to casting spells.

Frisco Blitz

Hinterland Strategy

Postby Frisco Blitz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:29 am

I've played the game alot... scores of hours. I currently have a high score of 84,299 so I certainly feel prepared to lay out an introduction that makes up for a paucity of info in the manual as well as some basic strategy. To learn the game pick an easy character such as the 'Mercenary'. Factors of difficulty for each character are shown at the bottom of the screen... the higher the factor, the greater the difficulty. Initially play without raiders or king's requests. Pick an easy degree of difficulty and a medium map. I say medium, because with a small map the main character never develops to the point where he/she becomes interesting and fun, exotic weapons and armor aren't obtained and sophisticated building upgrades aren't acheived and therefore learned. It's over too soon. Play with the map revealed and all of the resources included options. 'Map Revealed' means that the specific shape of each area as defined by the 'legend' button on the region map of the game screen in each instance accurately depicts the particular resource of that area. The three most important resources are water, herbs and iron, but we'll get to that. So if you're unfamiliar with the game, when it begins, hit the 'space bar' to pause the game, then hit the region button followed by the legend button. In this way you can see what is where from the 'get-go'. What you don't see is the number of dots positioned across each area icon until you move your character nearer to an area The number of dots is an indication of the danger posed by the level of the 'baddies' in each area. Naturally the map is designed so that easier areas with only one or two dots are positioned closer to your starting town. Walk around the town's perimeter and expose the immediately adjacent areas. The areas with a single dot you'll head to first. Before you do, check the visitors in the upper left hand corner of the game screen. If you see a visitor with a pitchfork symbol indicating a farmer in its upper left corner and you have enough starting gold and fame to purchase it... do so by clicking on the portrait of that visitor. The cost for each visitor is the small yellow number in the middle of the top line across the portrait. In the window that opens up after you click on the visitor's portrait, move your mouse over the option to build a plot for that character and 'click'. Un-pause the game to see the available plot locations in your town (there are 28 of them). Plant the farmer in one of the indicated areas by 'clicking' again. The game has an idiot-proof design in that everything in the game will reveal a little info box if you hold hour mouse over it. For example if you hold your mouse over the area to the right of the food icon at the very top of the screen you'll see what your food storage is, how many you produce and how many you consume each day. The three food producers in the game are the farmer, the trapper, and the herder. Initially, they'll all produce 2 food, enough to cover both you and him/her. The farmer is by far the best because it is initially easiest to upgrade for even greater food production. This first upgrade.. a 'large farm' significantly boosts food production and costs only 12 coins. Its only prerequisite is that you 'click' on your own portrait in the upper right corner of the screen first which opens your 'fiefdom window' (containing all the details of your little world) and upgrade from an outpost to a manor... all that a large farm upgrade requires. With a large farm, that farmer can support himself, yourself and a number of further inhabitants. If you're not presented with a food producer among the first two visitors, open their dialogue boxes by clicking on their portraits and click on the middle choice which is to dismiss them to make room for a food producer. The sooner the better. There's a chance depending on the character you play that you don't even have sufficient gold to purchase a visitor and make him your own. In that case don't waste any time and head out to do do some fighting, kill beasties and obtain gold items and fame. Each beast killed yields 1 fame point. Each area completed yields additional fame and perhaps additional fortune in the form of a treasure chest that can appear when an area is finished. At this point its tactics that demand a discussion. Initiating combat reqires a single click on a beast (unlike 'Diablo')... easy on the index finger. The trick is to never be attacked by more beasts than you can handle... one at a time ideally. In order to assure that this is the case you must learn to carefully observe the radar screen in the bottom left corner of the game screen. Beasties are depicted in red. Stay away from clumps. As you move towards them and get close, they will break towards you and start attacking. If you make a mistake and find yourself overwhelmed, turn tail and break for home. Try to circle inside an area isolating a single unit and have them charge you one at a time. Don't charge them. Tap your mouse delicately advancing until they charge you. When the battle starts, keep an eye on your red health bar in the upper right corner. If it gets too low either cut and run or pause the game immediately by hitting the space bar and take a healing potion. Healing potions can be either dragged over your hero's portrait and released or hitting the numeber 'one' key one the keyboard. Subsequent villagers that you ask to join your party when you speak to them in town (click on their portraits... " leave your job and come adventuring with me" choice) as far as potions are concerned are also either drag and drop or numbers 2,3,4. By all means build up a party as soon as possible with members of as high a level as you can afford. Farmers, trappers and herders of higher levels are cheaper than higher levels of all other types, so parties will usually be composed of these. To reiterate, learn to keep your eye on the radar. It's critical. creatures that start in an area don't wander out of an area unless chasing you. The number of creatures in an area as well as the areas name is listed on the bottom left immediately adjacent to the radar. This number diminishes as you progress in each area. Once you enter an area to begin fighting the region map can be closed as it obscures what's underneath. Turn it back on to move home or move to a new area. Try not to waste healing potions. If you need to heal, head for home where healing will slowly take place. You're considered sufficiently 'home' for healing purposes or for interacting with followers and/or visitors when the follower inventory box opens in the bottom left replacing the 'wilderness' area box with the beast numbers just previously discussed. Followers and visitors can not be interacted with outside of town. You'll need to run home to hire or dismiss a visitor. Visitors don't stay around forever. They leave after a certain number of days indicated inside their dialogue box. Okay, back to strategy. Hinterland strategy really has 4 linear parts. The first as previously mentioned is securing food production. Phase 2 is establishing an economy and is secured by obtaining a merchant. A merchant is critical to early game progress. The only way to turn a profit on your ever burgeoning useless inventory items is to sell them to a merchant. Without a merchant, once all your inventory slots are filled up there's no further place to store things and items have to be 'chucked overboard' for zero return to make room for better items. With a merchant, every item gotten rid of by 'shift-clicking' on it earns a coin. A merchant will not join your town unless you have a hostel that you've upgraded to an inn which in turn you can't do until you've upgraded yourself (discussed previously) to a manor. So the process goes... hostel-manor-inn-merchant. A hostel generally costs around 25 coins, the manor is another 20, the upgrade to inn is 48 coins and a merchant is around 55 coins. Total outlay then, before you can start selling items you don't want and making room in your inventory is around 150 coins. Kill, kill, kill!
There are many townspeople that make items, like a craftsman, for example, and there is a button in the top right of such person's dialogue box that enables you to have them sell the items they produce directly to a merchant and thereby increasing your daily income. These items never even appear in the inventory. This option is not even available without a merchant... an option admittedly not employed until later in the game. The merchant's prereq.. the hostel, it should be noted when built not only starts your economy with earnings of 5 coins/day, but also increases the number of visitors from 2 to 3. When upgraded to an inn the number of visitors increases again to 4. A hostel is therefore very important in it's own right. Early money and more choices! Next... Phase 3. Phase three was alluded to in phase 2 when craftsmen were mentioned. Craftsmen are critical in providing your party with anything more substantial than peasant's garb and a rusty dagger. When upgraded first to a smith and finally to specialize as an armorer or weapons maker, they can provide you, your party and even other townsfok with implements of ever more degrees of sophistication. Admittedly some of these items can be found in the 'hinterlands' but only rarely and only of a good quality in dangerous areas. You'll generally need three craftsmen... one to upgrade to a fletcher (a maker of bows) and the other two to upgrade twice as previously mentioned. For this you'll need the critical resource iron. I generally feel that the first smith upgrade should be to an armorer as the armorer supplies two slots (armor and shield) while the weapons maker only supplies one. Phase 4 involves potion production plain and simple. Healing potions and more healing potions. The more healing potions you're out in combat with the longer you can remain in combat without bailing. With a sufficiently high healing potion production you never have to bail and can enter and complete areas that would otherwise be too difficult. For this you need a source of herbs and in my opinion approximately 7-9 herbalists in town producing. I've had as many as 165 healing potions under such circumstances while out adventuring. While not so necessary at easier levels, to play a hardcore level game, without all the resources, the map not revealed, with raiders and using an outlaw or an orc shaman... you're going to need that many herbalists. Btw, at first don't upgrade the herbalists or they'll make other potions as well. In my opinion stick with the healing potions. They're all you'll need. Well that should get you started. The rest should fill in pretty easily. I can check back to answer any questions. One last thought. When upgrading your character by clicking on the green arrow that appears in your portrait box, look for the upgrades 'observant' which increases the amount of gold you find after each beast killed and 'perceptive' which makes it more likely besides the gold that you'll also find items. Good luck and have fun adventuring!
'Frisco'

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14 am

Frisco Blitz, can you please edit your post & put in some paragraphs so we can read it w/o going blind & crazy?

Thank You!

Dylmani555

Postby Dylmani555 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:09 pm

"whathappenus" wrote:Its a shame that the devs don't post here a mini-walkthough for the first 10 minutes or so of a sample game. You know:

1. pick yeoman because its easier
2. disable "requests" because its easier
3. Hire the first farmer that appears by constructing a house for him
4. Explore the immediate surroundings of town. To attack enemies simply click on them. If health is low move health potion to your portrait
5. If in trouble, run back to town
and so on...

Thing is though, that wouldn't really work as the map is constantly random so if the walkthrough says something like:

Go for herbs first.

What if your only herb field on the map is right at the back and level 8?

Handel

Postby Handel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I asked in an old topic about this but no1 seems to read it so again:
Why Fortune Tellers are considered elite chars for companions?

Dylmani555

Postby Dylmani555 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:45 pm

They have magical capabilities and I think they can heal aswell.

Return to “Gameplay Help & Strategy”