Choosing Attributes When Leveling Character

For gameplay questions and strategy discussion
Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 pm

When my Character has levelled we get two sets of three choices & I usually choose Health, cuz I don't know what I am doing! :D I also like the "Collects more gold from loot".

Rarely do I see the "Collects more objects from loot" (paraphrased) come up with the next Levelling later.

Is there a pattern what possibilities come up for the second set depending on what we choose for the first set?

How about the next level later? Do choices for lets say level 4 effect what comes up for level 5?

All random?

Also, which choices are better than others?

AMP

Postby AMP » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:28 am

The key to leveling your character is Defense Always! Never upgrade attack and others you don't need are extra fame, food, and gold upgrades for your character. Upgrade extra health when you have two other upgrades you don't need.

High defense means less damage taken which means less pots needed which means less trips back to town which means easier/faster creeping which means more gold early which means faster economy started earlier which ends in giving you a very high score.

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 am

The choices you get appear to be randomly selected based on a few factors. You can verify this by creating a new character of the same type and you'll often get different choices at the start of the game. The factors that determine what you are offered are based on the class of your character, character level and what traits you have already selected. From my experience, the resilient, fortunate and attack speed traits come later in the game.

Many traits have 3 levels, but not all of them. For example, if you pick one of the health traits, later on you can get a health trait that gives you even more health. I forget what the levels are, but it is something like the first one gives you 4 health, 2nd degree gives you 6 health, and 3rd degree gives you 10 health. The same works for attack, attack speed, defense and extra food. Heal quicker in town and earn more gold probably have multiple levels too, but I think those and charisma are worthless traits. I believe the resilient, perceptive and observant traits only have one level. I don't know if there is a limit to the fortunate trait. Most of the time I get boots of protection +2 def or sandals +3 att +1 def with fast attack. Sometimes I get an amulet of power and if I'm really lucky I'll get something like an enhanced amulet of power that gives +8 att instead of the usual +5 att.

In a different post I said that I like choosing attack over health and defense, but I prefer health if I'm hurt. If you kill something quickly, you really don't need much defense besides taking some damage builds up your health and gives your healer some work to do. I forgot to mention that you only get healed when you select health as the first choice when leveling up. The second choice which is the traits can increase your health if you select that trait, but won't heal you.

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:50 pm

You can get resilient and observant more than once so you might be able to get perceptive a second time too.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have been trying defense & it appears to be working, although I also understand the attack points.

CannibalBob

Postby CannibalBob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:36 pm

I usually go for attack. Enemies die earlier. It also applies to ranged weapons (bows, staves, pumpkins) while defense does not.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:56 pm

I usually go for attack as well, but once you're dealing with high-attack creatures with splash damage [pesky Dark Elf mages in particular], having a bit bonus defense can be helpful.

Have to try out playing as a moving "shield" sometime. ;)

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 am

Shaman and wizards can do more damage than any other creature when they use an area of effect attack which damages everyone so take them out first. I wasn't aware that defense would help minimize the damage you take from spells. Have you tested that theory? In most RPG games your defense or AC has no effect with regards to how much damage you take from spells because the spells always hit with some exceptions. Some items can give you better resistance, but I haven't found any in Hinterland. You usually make a saving throw to see if you take full or a reduced amount of damage. If this is how Hinterland works, then attack is far better than defense since you need to kill the spell casters as quickly as possible. Taking health is a good option too if you level while fighting them since it fully heals your character and lets your healers concentrate on other characters if you are using healers.

One thing that works when fighting multiple shaman/wizards is to let your followers attack one while you attack another instead of everyone concentrating on one spell caster at a time. The reason this is better is because if you all attack one at a time the other(s) can cast spells which damage everyone. If you let your followers attack one while your character attacks another, the one you are attacking will cast spells that only damage your character. It is also possible to dodge their spells sometimes so you might not want to charge them directly. Drinking a potion or using something that boosts your attack or critical hits before going into battle will help keep you and your followers alive, save you many heal potions and you might kill everything quick enough to prevent your followers from running back to town.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Sounds like I definitely have to try Attack now. Orc Lords was put on hold for awhile due to frying my old pitiful computer while playing a Loooog Game. My new Vista Gaming SuperComputer rocks with Orc Lords now!

...cannot wait to return to the game...

Thankx again, everyone, for the lessons! :)

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:28 pm

"blitz100" wrote:Shaman and wizards can do more damage than any other creature when they use an area of effect attack which damages everyone so take them out first. I wasn't aware that defense would help minimize the damage you take from spells. Have you tested that theory? In most RPG games your defense or AC has no effect with regards to how much damage you take from spells because the spells always hit with some exceptions. Some items can give you better resistance, but I haven't found any in Hinterland. You usually make a saving throw to see if you take full or a reduced amount of damage. If this is how Hinterland works, then attack is far better than defense since you need to kill the spell casters as quickly as possible. Taking health is a good option too if you level while fighting them since it fully heals your character and lets your healers concentrate on other characters if you are using healers.

One thing that works when fighting multiple shaman/wizards is to let your followers attack one while you attack another instead of everyone concentrating on one spell caster at a time. The reason this is better is because if you all attack one at a time the other(s) can cast spells which damage everyone. If you let your followers attack one while your character attacks another, the one you are attacking will cast spells that only damage your character. It is also possible to dodge their spells sometimes so you might not want to charge them directly. Drinking a potion or using something that boosts your attack or critical hits before going into battle will help keep you and your followers alive, save you many heal potions and you might kill everything quick enough to prevent your followers from running back to town.

Defense works against everything, including spells. We did not go the current way that RPG' games went, but more the Warcraft (I) way. Nor is there a saving throw- just a random amount of damage determined.

This being said, special attributes on weapons and crits can bypass defense and there is random amounts of damage done with every whack to begin with.

BTW- Health can be a very good choice depending on the character, but only once or twice. Defense is sort of the 'default choice' for me.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:00 pm

I have now tested the attack waters a bit. Defense appears to be better than attack, in that I get more time to react. Initial feelings only though, cuz I am still very much an inexperienced player.

Soooo very much to learn, especially with longer games that I can now play.

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'll try concentrating on defense again with a few characters. I tried to make defensive characters a few times in the past, but they got beat up and I died more often than those with a strong attack. Also seeing the posts from AMP sing the praises of defense then go on to say that his time bonus was only 1.7-1.8x discouraged me since I usually get time bonuses between 3.5-4.9x. However this was before I discovered that having 2-3 healers is a great strategy. The bad thing about multiple healers is that constantly switching back and forth between healing and attacking gear gets tedious. It would be nice if you could create a hotkey to swap equipment quickly for each character. Also it would be nice if I could download a patch to fix the inventory bugs.

CaboUppom

Postby CaboUppom » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:38 am

This happens to me like ten times a day, mi solution is to put to change of character but then I cancel it, and we are good to go.

Dylmani555

Postby Dylmani555 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm

no offence blitz100, but I think it's so funny when some cocky little newbie tries to sound professional, only for a real pro to come straight in and prove them wrong! :D

sorry.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

I should go back & try defense again, cuz I fell in love with the attack ones & have been doing only them for quite awhile. I use tons of healing potion makers, so that is never a problem. Monsters cannot hit me if they are dead. :D

Of course, the heal anywhere ones, are never ignored.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Help & Strategy”