Saved games

For gameplay questions and strategy discussion
Rex Little

Saved games

Postby Rex Little » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:48 pm

I just discovered Hinterland and I love it, but it bugs me that you can only have one save per character. (You can't even have two different characters with the same name; making a new one deletes the old.) I'd like to be able to get the basic necessities built (maybe a couple of farmers, an innkeeper and a merchant), then save the game and try different strategies, reloading from that save point each time.

It amazes me that the game doesn't let you do this. Is there a way around the save limitation that I'm not aware of?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:31 pm

Howdy, Rex Little!

That is an exploit & not allowed.

Most games of this type are like this (Diablo). No cheating by going backwards to previous saves if you screw up. Only onwards & upwards!

Challenge!

Good Luck! :)

Rex Little

Postby Rex Little » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 am

After playing the game a bit, I've discovered I actually can undo a screwup if I do so fast enough. If a high-level follower dies in combat because I wasn't quick enough with a healing potion, I close the game window (without actually exiting) and restart the game. It resumes from the latest autosave, which is usually before the battle started or at least before the follower died.

I understand why unlimited saves are considered an exploit, but the player should be allowed to take one "snapshot" per game that he can restore to, so that he can try different strategies after the basic startup.

Return to “Gameplay Help & Strategy”