Loot, Level and Lockup

For technical or performance related issues
Minase

Loot, Level and Lockup

Postby Minase » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:57 pm

It seems like I'll get a little ways into the game, kill a few critters, level, get a few followers and then hard lock. It's happened several times in a row now. DxDiag attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Weird, your rig pretty much blows mine out of the water and yet I haven't had any lock up problems, only poor frame rates as time goes on.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:57 pm

If you mean a visual freeze- quite possibly your video card is overheating.

Can you be more specific about the nature of the lockup? Do you get an error message?

Thanks.

Minase

Postby Minase » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:22 pm

I'd be surprised if it were my video card - this laptop has played much more intensive games than this like a champ. Here's what I see in the event log after killing the app:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/1/2008 12:49:23 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: mcheshier-PC
Description:
The program Hinterland.exe version 1.0.929.1413 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: e80 Start Time: 01c923fca9a3ae05 Termination Time: 14234
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-01T19:49:23.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>5575</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>mcheshier-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Hinterland.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.929.1413</Data>
<Data>e80</Data>
<Data>01c923fca9a3ae05</Data>
<Data>14234</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I'm not seeing an error message pop up or anything - the game just completely stops (though the music keeps playing) and if I alt-tab out I can't alt-tab in again (it's just a black screen). Thinking about the lockup more, it does seem to happen right around when I'm placing my second building more often than not.

If there is any temperature-monitoring software out there that will work with my system, I'll give it a shot.

SimonTrueheart

Same Exact Problem

Postby SimonTrueheart » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 pm

I'm having the same problem, exactly as described. I play for a few minutes, and then a hard lock. The music continues to play, and I can move the mouse cursor, but the video is frozen and none of the interface components (buttons etc.) function.

I also extremely doubt I am having any temperature issues. I also play games much much more demanding, and my machine handles it just fine. I'm using a high end video card, and a pretty decent rig - not sure what the deal is. dxdiag attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pasmith

Postby pasmith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 am

Hey guys,

When it freezes up, how long do you wait before you kill the process?

If you can, next time it happens go get a snack or something. See if the game eventually comes back to life. I had what sounds like the same problem and thought it was hard-locking, then once I got angry and walked out of the room and when I can back a few moments later it was running again.

See this thread: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18514

Clearly that's still a problem! But I'm just wondering if its the same issue I'm having.

Are you playing full screen or windowed? I switched to windowed mode and played a while tonight and things seemed better, but I can't say that definitively since I only played for 20-30 minutes in windowed mode.

mouse

Postby mouse » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:33 am

Minase and SimonTrueheart your both using the very same video driver my suggestion would be that both of you update your video drivers. Update them to summer 2008 and see if that doesn't sove the problem.

Minase

Postby Minase » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:44 am

I was using older drivers earlier (can't remember the exact date, but I got this laptop in July so it's probably whatever was out then), and I saw this issue then as well. I upgraded to the newest video driver (9/25) to fix the issues I was having with minimap smearing and other little visual glitches.

I'm going to try and get steps to reproduce the hang tonight. Sadly, I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have succumbed to the excitement and waited for the first patch like I usually do.

Minase

Postby Minase » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:05 am

OK, reproduced it again. Here's what I did:

1. Create a new character (brawler this time). Went out and killed 2 spiders.
2. Back to town to hire a farmer. Placed them directly behind the town hall where I was standing.
3. Went out and killed a skeleton. Skeleton had fertilizer - gave it to farmer.
4. Fought off a raid.
5. Dismissed bard and other expensive visitor.
6. Finished off skeleton camp.
7. Finished off spider lair, unlocking a game preserve.
8. Advertised for more followers.
9. Hired a hunter and placed him directly to the right of the farmer.

Result: Game hung the exact moment I clicked on the plot of land. The game did, however, resume after about 5 minutes.

mouse

Postby mouse » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:12 am

Since the game did resume I would suspect something running in the background on your system goes active causing the freeze. Usual bad guys virus scanners, active malware prevention programs and possibly firewalls.

Minase

Postby Minase » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:51 am

I don't know... I don't have any of that stuff running, and I think it's too big of a coincidence that any background program would fire up at the exact instant that I clicked on the second plot of land multiple times. My guess is that they have some more optimizing to do. I don't think I can do much more from here without debug bits, cheat codes (to make the process go faster) or some sort of logging enabled.

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:01 am

Mine didnt work until I downloaded the latest directx and updated my drivers.

pasmith

Postby pasmith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:31 pm

"Minase" wrote:I don't know... I don't have any of that stuff running, and I think it's too big of a coincidence that any background program would fire up at the exact instant that I clicked on the second plot of land multiple times. My guess is that they have some more optimizing to do. I don't think I can do much more from here without debug bits, cheat codes (to make the process go faster) or some sort of logging enabled.

Minase, that sounds exactly like my problem. Sorry to say, I'm glad you're having it too. :) That means more data for TM to work with when fixing it.

Have you tried playing in Windowed mode. That *seems* to have helped the problem for me, but more experimentation is needed to be sure.

Not offering that as a fix, just as a work-around while waiting for a fix.

Minase

Postby Minase » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:05 pm

I'll give windowed mode a shot. Thanks!

SimonTrueheart

Thanks for the Suggestions

Postby SimonTrueheart » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Same here! I'm going to update the drivers to the latest I can get, and give a few things (such as running in windowed mode) a shot, and see what happens.

Question, does anyone know if there is an autosave function or something? One thing I noticed that when it hangs and I end up restarting the system, it does seem to pick up pretty much exactly where it hung. I'm wondering if there is some autosave function that is hanging or something.

BTW, like Minase, while running the game I do not have any background processes such as virus scanners and the like running.

SimonTrueheart

Looks like problem solved!

Postby SimonTrueheart » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:58 pm

Well, I went and grabbed the latest drivers from nVidia. I was able to play for about 1.5 hours with zero freezes - so at first glance it looks like the problem was solved! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :D

Minase

Postby Minase » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 am

Windowed mode fixed my hang. The only problem with it is that the in-game messages are underneath the inventory. Anyone know how to fix that?

Minase

Postby Minase » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:35 am

Just tried fullscreen with the patch, my issue seems to be resolved. Nice work!

Ardbug

Postby Ardbug » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Now my game is starting to crash, it used to freeze for anywhere between 10 to 60 seconds, then resume, annoying but not gamebreaking, when I save it can take anywhere from 2 to 60 seconds to save, but now it has started to really lock up, I have waited 5 minutes 2 times now and had to resort to ctrl+alt+del.
I dont use virus scanners, I have 150 gigs of free space, 2 gigs of ram and I run Oblivion at 1920x1200 perfectly, Im not going to install a new driver and risk killing my system, it works for everything but this game,
Please say you know what is causing this behaviour and a patch with a fix is on the way.

Mike Gingerich

Postby Mike Gingerich » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Ardbug I can't imagine why it would take 60 seconds to save. It shouldn't even be noticeable. This would also explain your pauses during gameplay since it saves regularly.

Where is your "My documents" folder? Is it a local drive? Have you tried defragging it?

Return to “Community Technical Support”