Big problem when starting game

For technical or performance related issues
IceZiky

Big problem when starting game

Postby IceZiky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:52 am

Please help me... I purchased Hinterland and if I launch game, choose game options as character, face etc. and click to Play Game it is loading maybe 2 (creating world) second and it fall to windows. I purchased tomorow - I think I have Hinterland with new patch. It is horrible I want play this super game. Please help me. And sorry for my bad English, but I am from Czech Republic
Vlastislav Zikmund
Last edited by IceZiky on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X-miX

Postby X-miX » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:15 am

me to
in crating world the game crash
how i fix this?

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:35 am

Could we have your dxdiag as an attachment please. That way it would be much easier to help you guys. :)

X-miX

Postby X-miX » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:52 am

where is the the dxdiag flie?

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:15 pm

"X-miX" wrote:where is the the dxdiag flie?

Start > Run then type "dixdiag" without the quotes. Click OK. Let it finish. "SAVE ALL RESULTS" to your My Documents folder to make it easy to find. Then use the 'Manage Attachment' button below the text window to attach the file to your next reply.

X-miX

Postby X-miX » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm

here:
tnx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Impurethinker

Postby Impurethinker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I have a very similar problem, and I have noticed others on the board too.

I would post a dxdialog if you like but before that you should note that the problem occurs on my wife's (Chinese) laptop which is probably not up to snuff according to the min requirements, BUT the game just shouldn't crash like it does.

Basically it runs fine until you get to creating a new character. It goes all the way through "creating world" and at the very end it crashes before seeing "generating characters".

My wife's laptop is an Intel Duo that runs at 1.6Ghz and has an Intel GMA950 chip with 32 megs onboard video ram and like 128 max video ram(shared). Newest possible drivers (early this year).

The game fires up fine looks great then when it reaches the point *poof* CTD no errors or anything. It should at least toss an elegant error or something.

Odd thing it the laptop can ran Dawn of War: Soulstorm with no problems (in skirmish mode vs 8 CPUs) so this game really shouldn't be that much of a trouble should it?

Have you guys looked into the possibility of non-English installs or non-standard install locations (of say steam in a custom directory) causing some kind of problems?

Also, I did the following already: checked drivers (best I can get), DirectX (newest aug ver), verified Steam cache, and deleted and reinstalled from steam.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 pm

@ X-miX
Several things that need your attention. You've got 1 GB of RAM, that's ok but there seems to be a lot of programs running in the background (pagefile 866MB used). This combined to the fact that both your C and D drives have very little free space for windows alone to run. Try to free some space on both drives especially on C drive, then also windows will run smoother.

(What about your monitor, is 75Hz ok?)

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:15 pm

IceZiky don't worry about your english it will be fine. Please remove your email address from your post you will be spam to death.
Please post your DX diag so we can look at your system.

Impruethinker please post your DX diag but from what you already posted your wife's laptop doesn't have a DX compatible video onboard. Any game will crash if there isn't a supported video card/onboard video.

X-miX your page file uses all your free space on C driver windows is unable to move files around so the game crashes. It would be best if your C drive had at least 10gbs of free space as Kiya suggested.

X-miX

Postby X-miX » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:40 pm

very very tnx mouse and klya
i soon format my cupmputer

tnx
avi=]

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:44 pm

We're glad to help sorry that we can't help in your own language :p

Impurethinker

Postby Impurethinker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 pm

"mouse" wrote:Impruethinker please post your DX diag but from what you already posted your wife's laptop doesn't have a DX compatible video onboard. Any game will crash if there isn't a supported video card/onboard video.

Actually if you re-read that post of mine (or look in the attached dx diag) you will see I DO have a DX copatible card. An Intel gma950 with 32 megs of ram. The laptop itself has 1 gig of memory. I also posted that the machine plays some (few) other games such of Dawn of War: Soulstorm on low settings, which I would think be okay for this game considering.

The game loads fine up until world gen as I've said, so I've attached the DX Dialog and the console.log file for the game (using the -log flag)

Tell me what you think, but I think it's weird that a game would crash from not having enough memory or something and not even throw any errors. Most games if that is the problem would toss some kind of "error: could not get surface" blah blah thing (for example Shadowgrounds for some reason won't load). Most games will LOAD but not play well -- Half-Life 2 ep 2 for example is bascially loadable on this laptop you just can't do much with it do to the crappy framerate.

I still say it could be some kind of regional OS thing as my wife's laptop is in chinese XP.

_____ EDIT_____
Don't bother with this console.log.txt and look at the next post's console.log.crashed.txt
I made a mistake on the uploading. Sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Impurethinker on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: attachment mistake

Impurethinker

sorry

Postby Impurethinker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:20 pm

Actually ignore that console.log.txt above and look at this one :(
I had to run it again with the -log 6 flag and then let it crash again. Sorry for the double post.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Impurethinker sorry I didn't type my complete thought that should have read DX 9 compatible. But even if that is not an issue you don't have enough free space on C drive for windows to move files around in fact your page file eats what space you do have available. The game will never run without windows having room to move files aorund. At least 10% or more free space is needed. My suggestion would be to clear off some space on C drive even if the game isn't installed there.

IceZiky

IceZiky

Postby IceZiky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 pm

this is my dxdiag

IceZiky

IceZiky

Postby IceZiky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:01 pm

And my free space on disk C is 27,5 GB and my RAM is 2GB

Hidge

Postby Hidge » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 pm

I have essentially the same problem as the others in this thread; attempting to start a game, everything goes smoothly through character generation, then it crashed at the very start of the "creating world" screen.

Dxdiag file attached, since this was the first request made to the others:

Edit: I make no sense. Formulations corrected.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:36 pm

IceZiky it appears you have two sound devices on your system one onboard and the other a sound card maybe? Both sound devices are running older drivers my suugestion would be to remove or disable on of them since it can cause a conflict. Which ever one you decide to keep update the drivers to 2008. Your Nvidia video card there is a update for the drivers dated Sep 25 2008 which seems to solve game problems.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:44 pm

Hidge nothing jumps out as a typical problem source so no quick suggestion but don't give up. Sorry.

Impurethinker

Postby Impurethinker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:41 am

"mouse" wrote:Impurethinker sorry I didn't type my complete thought that should have read DX 9 compatible. But even if that is not an issue you don't have enough free space on C drive for windows to move files around in fact your page file eats what space you do have available. The game will never run without windows having room to move files aorund. At least 10% or more free space is needed. My suggestion would be to clear off some space on C drive even if the game isn't installed there.

My page file is set permantly to 3 gigs and I NOW have 2 gigs free on c drive. It isn't going to get much bigger than that given that c drive is only 19 gigs anyways, and it shouldn't need more than that. There is certainly and issue with this game. At the very least it should throw some kind of error instead of silenty CTDs all the time.

I have attached a new dx dialog and new console log files after the increase in HD space.

Before anyone says anything the MagicISO virtual drive means nothing. The game runs fine on my other laptop that has MagicISO. Of course my other laptop's video module is dieing horribly which is why I'm so keen on getting this to work on my wife's laptop.

I've read through this forum and have seen alot of "lack of hard drive space, old drivers, get rid of virtual dives" advice none of which seems to help anyone's problems. About the only good advice I've seen that works for some people is updating their DirectX. Which I've done.

We need to figure out what is actually broken with the game.

Is there some other -log flag that I could run to help with finding out that problems?

Return to “Community Technical Support”