Big problem when starting game

For technical or performance related issues
mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:12 pm

sosjuya your problem is old video drivers on a laptop. If your system builder doesn't provide newer drivers you can use the ati mod tool to install newer standard video card drivers that should solve your problem. You need video drivers from 2008 and it wouldn't hurt to update your sound drivers too.

sosjuya

not very good at this stuff

Postby sosjuya » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 pm

could someone please drop a link to what specific driver i'm actually looking for cause i'm not good at messing with drivers and such.
thanks

Laclongquan

Postby Laclongquan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 am

Hmmm I dont think virtual drive is the issue here. I got one running all the time on my machine but I can run hinterland fine. And I got my AV program on all the time too. (i admit, it run a bit slow and jerky but it does RUN).

I suggest that you try running the game at lowest setting, smallest map, all kinds of thing turn off to see how it turn out. The number of enemies on map is one of the thing that slow the game. As you can see, in the threads we discuss modding the game, if they put the number of enemies per camp too high the game run really sluggish. turn down the refresh rate of monitor to 65 or 70 Hz.

Manni

Postby Manni » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:16 pm

"sosjuya" wrote:could someone please drop a link to what specific driver i'm actually looking for cause i'm not good at messing with drivers and such.
thanks

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php

sounddriver for sigmatel vista

http://www.zdnet.de/aktuelle_treiber_soundkarten_sigmatel_index-39002352-687o0o0o0o39049260-1.htm
Last edited by Manni on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laughingowl

I too am getting this same problem.

Postby laughingowl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Sometime during creating world. (have had it I think at all phases between clicking 'play' and actually getting the world map.

I will CTD.

Attached is my dxdiag and console.log
DxDiag.txt

console.log.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:38 pm

laughingowl both your video and sound drivers are old you need drivers from 2008.

shadowtimmeh

same problem

Postby shadowtimmeh » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:42 pm

hi ive got the same problem ive just installed today and wondering if you could spot whats wrong and how to solve it i will attach my dxdiag below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shadowtimmeh

Postby shadowtimmeh » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:04 pm

sorry installed new nvidia but still wont work this is my new dxdiag

Manni

Postby Manni » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:40 pm

"shadowtimmeh" wrote:sorry installed new nvidia

impossible.

vidia-driver is 2004

sounddriver also 2004

your directX version is very old

shadowtimmeh

your wrong

Postby shadowtimmeh » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:37 pm

manni i hadnt properly installed it but then i did and hinterland works amazingly
:p

shadowtimmeh

Postby shadowtimmeh » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:24 am

heres my dxdiag now and it works btw

Manni

Postby Manni » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:41 am

"shadowtimmeh" wrote:heres my dxdiag now and it works btw

Sorry shadowtimmeh but you keep attaching the still same old dxdiag-file!
Delete the old and generate a new dxdiag-file! Do attach it then.

If you haven`t found it yourself yet..............here is a driver for your Sound_Blaster_Live!_24_bit soundcard:

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 1.04.0055 24-bit Win2000/XP/XP x64 from April 2007 seize 11,9 MB

http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/treiber/soundkarten/creative_sound_blaster_live/

which seems to be the latest. Should be better that yours from 2004.

Do uninstall the present sounddriver first before installing this version!

shadowtimmeh

Postby shadowtimmeh » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:22 pm

nah im ok cba to do tht lol so i wont br typing on here anymore (on this thread)

BertTheErt

"Access Violation Hell"...

Postby BertTheErt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 am

Hi. I *just* signed up here, so please forgive any lapses I may inadvertantly
commit...Last night, I purchased Hinterland from iPlay games. I had played the "free" version for an hour; it had loaded and played without any issue, which is why I chose to purchase it.
After purchase, I unlocked the game, and it played without problem for nearly two hours, when it suddenly froze solid withtout fanfare. It flashed an error
message just before it crashed, but I didn't catch it at the time--went by too quickly.
Tonight, I tried to play the game again. It loaded as it should, taking me
to the place where it crashed last night. Then it froze again and shot me
the Error message (I THINK it's the same one, but I can't be totally certain...)
This time I managed to catch the Error Messages. The first one is as follows:

"Access Violation at0x0075DC36 (tried to read from 0x0000029C), program
terminated." Which it did.
I tried to "run as administrator" (I've had problems with games downloaded from
iPlay before...), and it SAID it translated it to Windows XP. Got as far in the
loading process as the last attempt, dumping me where it left me last night, only
to freeze and Error Message this:
"Access Violation at 0x0075E3C7 (tried to read from 0x62627572), program
terminated. Which it again, did.

I guess what I don't understand, is how the game can play flawlessly on my
laptop for three hours, and THEN crap out. These error messages are complete
GREEK to me; I'm no programmer--I just want to play the game, and thought
I was done with fiddley alphabet-soup numbers after I got it unlocked.
I've attached the dxdiag file, so you can see what I have. I run programs that
are MUCH more environment-rich, like The Witcher, so I really don't understand
why this game's decided to crap out right after I BUY it...Any assistance would be most appreciated! I do enjoy the game (once I figured out how not to get
slaughtered before establishing a settlement), and I'd like to get it working. Thanks!
PS: WAIT! Your attachment upload function keeps failing. Just says "upload
failed". How do I get you the dxdiag file if it won't upload??? ;o/

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am

I can't help you, sorry, but there may be some others along later who can.

You cannot upload attachments anymore, it has been disabled. However you can upload your dxdiag to a file hosting site such as Skydrive and post a link to it.

Or you can copy and paste the text into your thread. (Except it goes on for pages)... Maybe edit it a bit to leave important bits like Operating system, memory, graphics etc, and not include any personal names etc

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:05 pm

I can't help you much. I don't have Hinterland.

Why it didn't do it in the free version, I can't say for sure, but chances are the free version game code didn't have the portion of code that seems to be triggering your problem or it wasn't active until you bought the game.

A "access violation" message usually means the program is trying to access part of the system memory that is already used by a program that is already running.

You should try shutting down completely and restarting the computer....not just a "restart". Let the system sit for 10-30 seconds before you hit the power button again. This should clear out anything that might be residing in the memory from a previous program. After the resatart, try the game again.

Getting the latest hardware drivers for your computer, especially the sound card as its drivers can often lead to this problem as well. When you download drivers for the soundcard or in general for any hardware make sure that you download them from the official site, that way you know that they’re good and not corrupt or faulty. If you’ve previously downloaded drivers from third-party sites that could explain why you are getting these Access Violation at Address errors.

Another cause of this type of error is that Data Execution Protection utility in Windows is being triggered by some of the game code. You can try adding the game's "EXE" filename to the DEP exception menu.

For XP owners, right click on "My Computer". Select "properties". Click on the "Advanced" tab, and then click on the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section of the Advanced menu. Click on the Data Execution Protection tab.

Now change the setting so that the button next to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services, except those I select:"

Click the ADD button and browse for the Hinterland main EXE file and select that so it appears on the list. Click APPLY and OK. Close the menu. You may have to restart the computer.

Try running the game. If it works, leave it, if not you can go back and use the REMOVE button to take the game off the list. And change the DEP setting back to it's original default setting. Again, you may have to restart the computer after making the change.

BertTheErt

following up replies/email

Postby BertTheErt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:11 am

Hi again...I got a "Welcome" email from Tilted Mill, so I sent a reply, with
both the regular dxdiag file, and the dxdiag file for 64-bit attached. I don't know who reads email there, but whoever does should be able to locate the post/problem I'm having in the forums; it's the ONLY post (besides this one) I've made on the site.

I'm running Win7 pro/media center for HP, on an HP dv7t laptop. I don't know
enough about computer file language to shut down any other startup/possibly
conflicting programs. I initially had a problem similar to this with The Witcher, through Steam games. They fixed it with a patch. Are there any patches
available for Hinterland? Would it function from the disc more efficiently than
from the iPlay download site?

I really enjoy this sort of game, and it irks me that it locks up when I finally
get to level 5. I don't know anything about writing or correcting code, and I
have no clue whether the resources the game needs are the same ones the
computer needs to function at all. I have all the most recent updates for all
the hard/software on the computer. The game didn't load any other files from
iPlay after I unlocked it with the key, so it had to be using the same set of files
both prior to, and after I made the purchase.

I hope someone there got the email and knows what I need to do to make
my purchase work...

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Community Technical Support”