Read every search result, I'm screwed

For technical or performance related issues
Krendarian

Read every search result, I'm screwed

Postby Krendarian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:56 am

I have spent no less than 9 hours in the last 2 days trying to get my newly store-bought Hinterland Orc Lords to work on my computer. It was a carefully chosen game as I know darn well what my computer can and can't handle. The game didn't say anything on the box about pixel shading, so I knew there was a good chance I could run it on my comp.

At first upon installing, all the game would do is crash when I tried to run it. So that is when I first started digging around and found these forums on about thursday of last week. Read every search result for Hinterland problems, and created a word document with 5-6 of the possible things I needed to do to get the game to run.

Systematically tried them all, and at best, got the game to run without crashing, BUT, game is so laggy, and the gamescreen is covered in all this white crap, you cannot tell where the mobs are. Usually you are halfway dead before you finally locate where the enemy is to attack it. UNPLAYABLE.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER Is this a preliminary indication of perhaps another computer event like the 1996-1998 years? When the gaming and computer industry were so out of it, no one's games would run almost on any of the comps?

#1: The computer industry is going to lose a lot of people like me who might have had a SMIDGEN of the patience necessary to try to meet in the middle. Who in the hell wants to come home after purchasing a NEW game, and have to spend hours sifting through forums to make the goddam thing work? THE GAME SHOULD HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY FIXES BUILT IN. If that is too much to ask for, then you guys need to find another job, cause as far as I am concerned, [COLOR="Cyan"]making software work is your job, not mine.[/COLOR]

#2: What about this supposed patch? There are rumored to be patches 1 and 2. Went to Steam. Went everywhere. NO ONE HAS THE PATCHES FOR DOWNLOAD. Only patch I could find was for the versions of Hinterland that you can download from the internet.

#3 FINAL: Hinterland Orc Lords cost me $19.99 in cash, and $500.00 worth of my own time. My computer met ALL of the specifications on the box. All of my computers drivers are up to date. But why am I having to tell you this?:> I'm not the one responsible for selling a working product.
Last edited by Krendarian on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobing

Postby tobing » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:52 pm

If you want specific help, please post your dxdiag file.

Games you download from Steam are always automatically updated when you start playing (while you're connected). That's why you can't download any patches, it's all online. As with all games on Steam, no exception.

Krendarian

Postby Krendarian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:15 am

Once again, I purchased the retail version of Hinterland Orc Lords from Gamestop, I did not buy the Steam version online.

DxDiag.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimg71

I have no good news

Postby jimg71 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:53 am

Hello Krendarian,

I took a look at your dxdiag. It looks like your using an internal graphics card from the chipset of your computer. It barely meets system requirements listed on Hinterlands website (64 mb). Since this probably shares its memory with your RAM, it probably will never work. It looks like your machine which is Evo D510 SFF is AGP type slot. This is an older type graphic card connection, but there are still decent cards out there. Sorry about the bad news.

Take Care,

Jimmy

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 am

Correct, unfortunately. I have that same integrated graphics on an older notebook, and Hinterland doesn't play well on this. If you can upgrade your graphics card, it might work.

I don't know how gamestop handles updates and patches, never used that. Isn't the box version of Hinterland published by http://www.playgreenhouse.com? Might be a good idea to contact them directly...

Krendarian

Postby Krendarian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 pm

You know what? I really can't be too mad about this. You would think after 20-25 years of this crap I would have gotten used to problems like this. So I was right, my computer did meet the minimum system requirements, yes I know how to determine that. And my computer won't run because why? Even though I have the minimum specs required on my video card the game still won't run? I have to go buy a whole new fricking computer JUST FOR ONE GODDAM GAME? No wonder people get pissed off so much at Microsoft and the computer industry, so much so that they get to the point where downloading game torrents begins to not feel like stealing anymore. Begins to feel like Karma coming back to shine on you.

I do appreciate the time spent by the 2 fellows who were at least competent enough to tell me why I was screwed. I still don't understand if my computer has the minimum requirements to run a game, why can't I run it?

System Requirements for:
Hinterland

Windows

Operating system: Windows® XP or Vista (I have XP)

Processor: 1.8 GHz processor or higher (I have a 2.00 Ghtz processor)

Memory: 512 MB RAM Windows XP® (1 GB for Windows® Vista) (I have 1528MB RAM, 1.5G!!!!)

Hard disk space: 350 MB uncompressed free hard drive space (currently I have over 20 Gigs of free space)

Video: 64 MB DirectX 8.1 compatible card (I have Display Memory: 64.0 MB, and have directX 9.0)

One-time Internet connection required to activate

MY COMPUTER HAS EVERY MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENT LISTED ON THE BOX, BUT CANNOT RUN THE GAME HINTERLANDS. SO THEREFORE IN THE FUTURE, YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW IF ANY GAME WILL RUN ON YOUR COMPUTER WHEN YOU ARE SHOPPING, THEY WILL JUST HAVE A BS EXPLANATION ON THEIR FORUMS AS TO WHY IT WON'T WORK ON YOUR PC.

ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD.
Last edited by Krendarian on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 pm

"Krendarian" wrote:
MY COMPUTER HAS EVERY MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENT LISTED ON THE BOX, BUT CANNOT RUN THE GAME HINTERLANDS. SO THEREFORE IN THE FUTURE, YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW IF ANY GAME WILL RUN ON YOUR COMPUTER WHEN YOU ARE SHOPPING, THEY WILL JUST HAVE A BS EXPLANATION ON THEIR FORUMS AS TO WHY IT WON'T WORK ON YOUR PC.

ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD ESAD.

You have a chip set not a proper graphic card, and besides its drivers are ancient, from 2005. Your audio drivers are even worse , from 2003. Believe it or not, they count too. So calm down and try to update those drivers first. :)

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:09 am

We tested it on similarly outdated systems.

Please try updating all your drivers, as mentioned and let us know if it works.

It is not a graphics hog, and should run okay in lower resolutions, like 640x480.

Return to “Community Technical Support”