Changing my graphical settings

For technical or performance related issues
Jbman007

Changing my graphical settings

Postby Jbman007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:31 am

So I tried the game on several different display settings (the in game ones), and chose the 700 x 400 fullscreen (or something like that - cant remember the exact setting), and my monitor didn't recognize it. I had to CNTL+ALT+DEL out of the game, and now everytime I try to get back in, it always defaults to the 700 x 400 -- which my monitor refuses to recognize.

I uninstalled the game, hoping that would reset the in-game display settings, but it didn't.

Can someone help? I'm thinking my system must be backing up some of Hinterland's data upon the uninstall - which has to include the display settings - and if I can just find those files, delete them, I should be able to get a "Fresh" install? Please help!!

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:38 am

The game may have left behind the .ini file in the install folder, because it isn't created by the game installer but rather the first time you run the game so it's not on the uninstall list.

Look in the folder where you have Hinterland installed. Delete the .ini file and then restart the game.

Jbman007

Postby Jbman007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:05 am

I can't find any .ini files in the folder. There are .dll files, .bat files, and one .cs file

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 am

Did you look in the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common for a hinterland folder and the contents inside it?

Jbman007

Postby Jbman007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm

I didn't buy the game through Steam...bought it at Best Buy...hard copy version...

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:33 pm

If that is the case, what I would do is uninstall the game again. Then check to make sure that the folder for Hinterland is deleted along with it's contents.

I would then do a Windows Search (Windows Key + F) then do a all files & folders search for "hinterland" (without the quotes). If it finds any entries, right click on it and select "open containing folder" and delete the item.

I would then backup my registry file using regedit. Then do a registry search for "hinterland" (without quotes) and carefully remove any entries that have "hinterland" in them. Be very careful and deliberate. Editing the registry is not recommended if you are not familliar with it and you do so at your own risk. If you do make a mistake, you restore the original registry by importing the backup copy of the registry you made before you started.

hedge0035

Postby hedge0035 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

having the exact same problem, i did what you said, minus the registry thing, didnt work, now im going to try the registry hope it works.

is there a patch to fix this kinda thing yet, i have look just a little and it seems no patches out yet, am i correct?

edit: Ok i found a work around, after installing the game go to the folder the game is in, and there is a program in the file on the bottom in C:\Program Files\Hinterland your may be different, but its called resetprefs just double click that and it will come up with a command promt, just hit enter and it will start the game with the default settings. hope it works for yea, worked for me.
Last edited by hedge0035 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Technical Support”