Windows7 game fails to start

For technical or performance related issues
Nefari

Windows7 game fails to start

Postby Nefari » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 am

Hi, New comp for christmas.. long story short hinterlands installs.. shortcut brings up splash screen for got game.. hit play and the play button greys out message shows starting hinterlands please wait.. mouse tip shows the default spinning disc icon then play button refreshes ... no error message and no game.
Have waited extended times to see if it was just slow loading but nope just nothing after splash screen
Have tried starting application without splash from game folder (result is spinning disc icon and long waits to no result like the program just forgot you asked it to start)
Am running as administrator, and have tried various compatibility modes just in case.

Dxdiag files included for extra info hope they help all looks like foreign language in there to me =)

Did install DX9 as well first right from microsoft site then later just the ones off CD thaqt the game came with.. this is a CD version of game not downloaded.

Any suggestions be nice really like to get the game running if possible.

Yes Video drivers are new right from nvidia and card is listed as compatible. even on nvidia website it has the game listed under my video drivers as one included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello Nefari,

Have you tried playing in xp compatibility mode? Most people seem to have no problems but the few that have had problems have had some luck with the xp mode.

Good luck!

Looking at your dxdiag I see the following..

8 CPU's? wow that's a first for me. 12 GB ram? wow.... /floored

While your Nvidia drivers may be fresh they are not digitally signed so not guaranteed to be working properly with Windows 7.

Also your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 is onboard video which almost never works for 3D gaming.
I bet if you stick a nice 3D card in there you will have no more problems. This is most likely the issue.

Perhaps one of the techies will have more info and some help.
:cool:

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:11 pm

There is no XP compatiblity in the home version of Win 7 it's only in the Pro and Ulitimate versions of win7.

Nefari

Postby Nefari » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:41 am

The operaring system is windows home "premium" regular windows home doesnt have the compatability mode this one does.. and yes i have tried the compatibility modes to no avail.

The video card is an actual card nothing onboard from opening the case it is a seperate card, and handles other 3D games flawlessly. For example Dragonage// Sacred2 // Heroes of might n magic V // WoW // Everquest // all without a hitch but for some reason hinterland wont start, and of course it being the one that is giving me trouble it seems to be the one i`m wanting to play most at the moment .. sigh.. but thanx for the advise just nice to get some feedback apreciated that you tried.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

i just saw that that card is not onboard, i had never heard of it till today :)

Wish i had more ideas for you, good luck!
:cool:

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Nefari,
I know you said that the game installs, but I suggest you try the following-

Uninstall.
Hunt down the install.exe on the CD.
Rt click on it and say, run as administrator.

There may be an issue installing some file at some point that does not pass muster.

Sorry to reply so delayed- and hope it works.

jeff

(sent PM to Nefari as well.)

mystiqblackcat

Postby mystiqblackcat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 pm

I am having a similar issue. I bought the game months ago on Impulse but I got a new machine with Windows 7 Premium and the game won't launch. I tried launching in compatibility mode but no luck. Also tried verifying the installation and then uninstalling - reinstalling.

Any suggestions?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 pm

OK, I have the disk but didn't install in on my W7 Home Premium 64, cuz I play Hinterland Orc Lords via Steam. After reading this thread, I decided it was time to install the disk also to see what was up. I just installed the disk 10 minutes ago.

The disk has the same install problems that I had on Vista Home Premium 64, before I upgraded to W7, so I have to do the same workaround.

1) Put the disk in & hit install. Installs immediately.
2) When the install DirectX comes up, install that also.
3) Now, you still have the Finish Install screen left. Checkmark the create desktop icon.

Every time you put the disk in from now on, it will come up with another install screen. Close it w/o doing anything.

Use the desktop icon to start the game every time.

W7, just like Vista before, tells you that the disk game is not installed properly. Ignore it.

Good Luck! :)

EDIT: By the way, no Run as Admin, no compatability changes.

"mouse" wrote:There is no XP compatiblity in the home version of Win 7 it's only in the Pro and Ulitimate versions of win7.

Say what? You bet there is!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

mystiqblackcat

Postby mystiqblackcat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:24 am

Well, my problem is that I don't have a disk. Any suggestions w/ out the disk? I have installed it and re-installed it and uninstalled it and re-installed it about a half dozen times.

I gave up for a couple months but it would be nice to get this game to work.

Return to “Community Technical Support”