Hinterland won't start

For technical or performance related issues
tmarcl

Hinterland won't start

Postby tmarcl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:07 am

I've downloaded Hinterland: Orc Lords from Direct2Drive. After inputting the userkey, the game will not start at all. I double click on it, and absolutely nothing happens. I have Windows 7, and an Asus G73, if that helps.

Marc

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:18 am

Let me start by saying I don't have Hinterland. However, games sold by Direct2Drive are supposed to get D2D technical support for their versions of the game.

That said...make sure you are running the game as the system administrator. Try setting it to run in the Windows XP compatability mode next.

Try disabling your virus scan software. I'd be offline on the internet or disconnected from the internet when doing this. Many A-V programs can keep games from running.

You can add the hinterland .EXE file to the Data Execution Protection exception list. Windows has a built in malicious code detector and it can sometimes keep a program from running. Right click on your desktop My Computer icon. Select the Advanced tab. then click on the Settings button in the Performance section. Click on the Data Execution Protection tab. Select the button next to "Turn on DEP for programs and services except for those I select:". Click the ADD button and browse for your hinterland game's .EXE file and select it. Click APPLY and OK. Close all menus. Reboot the system. Try the game. You can remove the .EXE from the DEP list later if it didn't make any difference, just repeat the steps and click REMOVE, APPLY, OK, close menus then reboot.

You might have a bad install. Uninstall and reinstall again. Try doing it without your A-V software running.

If that fails, try uninstalling, then reboot the Windows SAFE MODE and install the game from the SAFE MODE desktop. Then reboot to normal and try the game.

If you have programs like Alcohol %120, Daemon Tools, Anit-Blaax, or other virtual software running you may have to shut them down or uninstall them.

Contact D2D tech support. They should be helping you with this too. They'll try to ignore you, but keep at them. The reason they need to support the game is that they make changes to it so it doesn't require a disc to startup, etc.

tmarcl

Postby tmarcl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 am

I tried all of those and it's still not working. I've emailed Direct2Drive customer support, and hopefully they'll help. Unfortunately, their auto-reply email says that once I've activated the game, my business with them has concluded :/.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Did the game accept your activation code?

Does the game appear on Windows Task Manager's process list when you try to start it? Open Task Manager then click on the processes list and then sort the list by memory usage by clicking on the MEM USAGE box over the listings. You want it to display the list so that the biggest memory users are on top, which will make it easy to spot Hinterland.

Then with the task manager still open start the game and watch the list to see if hinterland opens at all. It may appear breifly and disappear, which could mean that something on your system is shutting it down or the game didn't install properly. If it doesn't appear at all then something else is interfering with the game startup.

Windows 7 uses DirectX 11. Hinterland is a Direct 9 game. In the past with Visa, which used DirectX 10, some DX9 games would not work until DirectX 9 was also installed because of some missing DirectX files that 10 didn't have that games made for DX9 required. You can also try installing DX9. However, other people will tell you that they do have the game running on Win7 and DX11 without any problems at all and without doing anything special.

tmarcl

Postby tmarcl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:35 pm

It did accept my activation code, and Task Manager does show it under processes briefly before shutting it down. I tried installing Directx 9, and it doesn't help.

tmarcl

Postby tmarcl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:09 pm

So, after reading a couple of other threads with the exact same issue, it appears that it's the sound card that's causing the problem. According to my device manager, I've go an ATI High Definition Audio and a Realtek High Definition Audio. I've disabled the Realtek, and the game loads, but now I have no sound (I disabled the ATI first, and it didn't work).

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Ok, good. Tell me you don't have two active sound cards running on your system at the same time. Usually that can lead to problems too. You sould try one or the other and see if the game will still load and you may have sound then.

Return to “Community Technical Support”