eh, whats this game about?

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion regarding Mosby's Confederacy
boomerang

eh, whats this game about?

Postby boomerang » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:08 am

just bought this game at impulse, read the help and played the first mission.

and now i really wonder whats actually the game. the turn based part has roughly 1/1000th the complexity of a game, that really focuses on that. no tech tree, moving of armies, buildings, fortifications, weather and so forth. same for the real time combat. no crouching, no inventory, different weapons, willing usage of cover, no updating map etc.
you can move, attack and basically thats it.
so whats this game about again?

sorry, if thats really all thats to this game, then this is the worst game i have ever bought. i should have read the manual (16 pages, seriously?) before i did. shame on me.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Wow, someone needs to learn & then play the game.

So many false claims, I don't know where to begin.

Let's start with tech trees.

Monty has one & so do all of our cities.

boomerang

Postby boomerang » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:40 pm

So many false claims, I don't know where to begin.

maybe i can guide you through it.

- no crouching

types of movement are stealth or no stealth. the usual crouching, kneeling running with all implications on movement speed, cover, loss of stamina are not present.

- no inventory

dont see it, do you?

- different weapons

rifle, pistol and melee arent weapons but weapon classes at best. more like range classes. weapons are a s&w revolver, a knife, a machete, a stone etc. there are games with thousands of different weapons with differend stats out there. this game has three not futher specified somethings.

- willing usage of cover, no updating map

not much to argue here imho

- no tech tree

ok, mosby has something tree-ish. he has to do absolutely nothing to gain points for it and it brings no new abilites, just bonuses. so theres really not much "tech" in it.

- moving of armies

did i miss a way to willingly move troops across the map?
looks like they are all stuck in their village radius

- buildings

what makes them buildings? they have no build time, maintenance cost, cant be destroyed.

- fortifications

again, did i miss them?

- weather

is there anything like rain, that decreases sight, destroys ammo or something like that? same for night scenarios with moving and not moving light sources. (torches, campfires etc) conditions that make horse riding impossible or lower troop morale? didnt see any of that

reaven

Postby reaven » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:45 am

Thats pretty much it boomerang, I haven't bought the game because it doesn't offer much.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:54 pm

The game is more about the higher level thought process of what Mosby faced in terms of managing his time. This is represented between combat and how you focus the development of the region vs. the men, vs. Mosby himself. We try to represent how he chose to visit towns and rally men at some points in time, or find places to stash weapons, or work on the skill of his troups, etc..

From a game perspective it is very simple, easy, and unfortunately not challenging initially- much like what Mosby faced early on. For a long time Mosby and his men were not challenged. Later in the war, once the Union soldiers become more skilled (around 9 missions in) things ramp up very quickly and all of a sudden you may find yourself in a rut because you did not invest wisely in your strategic assets. Many people have to start over because they realize that those initial years should have been invested in preparing for the real conflict that was coming.

The game is intended to be replayed, trying different strategic and tactical combinations, and it is the relationship between each strategy and how it affects your tactics that most people find compelling.

I understand your issues with the tactical combat- it is not the focus of the game.

I hope this encourages you to try it again, at least through the 11th mission and that the game helps bring to light some of the issues that Mosby faced, and I hope you find it enjoyable.

Jeff

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:14 am

No offense jeff, but the game doesn't sound fun at all.

Ouijdani

Postby Ouijdani » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 pm

I would say it is more fascinating than "fun" (whatever that means). It is definitely an intellectual challenge. As Jeff points out, the difficulty ramp is steep and if you don't manage your assets wisely early on, you have no hope in the end game. Think chess.

I've never managed to complete it.

Ouij

Return to “General Discussion”