Unable to take snapshots

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion regarding Mosby's Confederacy
Tinkerbell

Unable to take snapshots

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 24, 2010 4:42 pm

In my previous thread How to Repeat Campaign? I posted a snapshot of my first campaign Win Screen. I think I did that on Vista Home Premium 64 on my new Gaming SuperComputer via Print Screen & MS Paint. I don't think I was still on my old pitiful Sony with XP.

Anyway, last night I completed my 2nd Mosby's campaign & could not take a image of my Win Screen this time on W7 Home Premium 64.

I have had a friend Lab this also & neither of us can take any snapshots on W7, even using Paint nor W7's Snipping Tool. There is nothing on the Clipboard except for a white screen when we minimize the game.

Mosby's doesn't even have a snapshot folder. I also tried F9 hotkey, TM's usual snapshot hotkey & nope.

Perhaps, if you ever return to update Mosby's, TM, you can do something about this?

If anyone has a tested Lab solution & not just a guess, please let us know.

Thank You! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon May 24, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon May 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Did you try using the keyboard Print Screen button? It saves the screen to clipboard memory that you can then paste into a image with MS Paint, Photshop, or Paintshop Pro and save it as a jpeg from there.

Other than that you may have to find a freeware 3rd party screen capture program.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Uh, Keith. Please reread my post again.

Thankx

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 pm

I have just tried several times to get a screenshot, without success. First I tried the keyboard Print Screen button, pasting into MS Paint. Then I tried 2 third party programs, Irfanview and Gadwin's Printscreen. All I could get was a blank, or rather an area of grey on white.

This is in Windows 7, 64 bit, Home Premium.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey, dat's better than I got Ivy! I only get total white!

LOL

Thankx for trying! :)

...at least you got the gray part of the war between the blue & gray...lol...
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon May 24, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 pm

That was the one from Irfanview. Maybe it's the way that program works which made it display like that.

The one from Gadwin is interesting. Gadwin has an option to capture the cursor and it shows up as the Mosby's cursor but with the rest blank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Don't ask me! I'm a Proud Computer Dummy!

LOL

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:39 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Don't ask me! I'm a Proud Computer Dummy!

LOL

One of the things MS thought no one used I guess. Whatever the reason ptr scr no longer works with a game unless it is a windowed game.

I use this, from years ago, FRAPS and still works great. You can set it up to capture screen shots with your own hot key I use F11 because one of the games used F10.

Free version saves as bitmap so you'll have to load them in Paint or other graphics editor and re-save them to JPEG or whatever. Saves all files in one folder but saves them by game name.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Print Screen works with every other game. Just not Mosby's.

This is a TM problem, not MS, tomnobles. Another case of sloppy programers making illegal calls to low memory for speed, instead of the proper protected vector memory locations & get busted when MS updates the operating system.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:44 am

Actually MS just reported that some of the default keystrokes do not always work (as far back as W95). i.e. PrtScrn is supposed to copy the entire screen to the clip board where alt-prtscrn will just copy the active window. Also in this report were the occasional missed Ctrl-C/X/V, and the F-keys. Nothing reported for other Alt-controls but I am sure they are looking into it pretty hard.

So far there have been no fixes for these missed keystrokes but I am sure they will be addressed soon. I am watching for the fixes to see if they fix an issue I have with Mozilla and occasionally Chrome where the F-11 key almost never works with multiple tabs open on my 2nd monitor. Hope they fix it soon :rolleyes:
:cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 am

Print Screen works fine in W7, PantherX. Just not Mosby's.

It is TM's bug.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:57 am

Nope, prt scr does not work fine in Windows 7, unless you are at the Desktop or in a windowed app.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 pm

"tomnobles" wrote:Nope, prt scr does not work fine in Windows 7, unless you are at the Desktop or in a windowed app.

Nonsense. I have no problems taking snapshots of Nile Online, COTN, Hinterland, SCS & C4. All with W7 & all using Print Screen.

Same with my other games.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:50 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:...If anyone has a tested Lab solution & not just a guess, please let us know.

I don't have Mosby so this is a guess (too bad innit)

Try this
http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Even if it doesn't work on Mosby it is still incredibly useful.
Tip: don't program the hot key to Prt Scr cos you might need it as well

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:21 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Nonsense. I have no problems taking snapshots of Nile Online, COTN, Hinterland, SCS & C4. All with W7 & all using Print Screen.

Same with my other games.

You have 32 bit or 64bit Windows 7?

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:06 pm

I tried Screenhunter but, as with Irfanview and Gadwin's, I got a blank screen - or else a picture of my desktop! What seemed to happen was that when the hotkey was pressed (and I tried several different keys, other than Prt Scr and Function keys) the game screen went blank before the picture was taken. Very weird!

Then I tried Fraps and that worked! I used F10, which is the default for screenshots. However, it does mean running a 3rd party program for something which ought to be possible in Windows or in the game itself.

I rather like the way that Fraps labels the screen capture with the name of the game but, as mentioned, the bitmap format results in the pictures taking up much more space.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Yeah, just load them into paint or other editor (I use PSP at times) and save it as .jpg or .png or .gif (not recommended). I can't seem to recall but, I changed the hot key to F11 because one of the games used F10. You'll find out if you press F10 in a game and a game menu pops up.

Return to “General Discussion”