If you are treading water...

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion on Mosby
Matt Zimmitti

If you are treading water...

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Manifesto for general controls and concepts...

In the Confederacy Level:

~ The little houses are your towns. Selecting one of them shows you the troops that are stationed there (they live there throughout the campaign), the support level of the town and the actions you can take on the town this turn. You can only take one action per town per turn and you spend reputation points to do it. Further, the circle around the town represents its zone of influence. This must overlap a mission marker in order for you to use units from that town in that mission.

~ The brass markers are mission markers. Clicking on one of these shows you a mission briefing and slots for units you wish to take into combat. Double-clicking a unit on the left sidebar will add it to the roster. Double-clicking a unit in the roster sends him back to his town. Single clicking a unit in the roster selects him. You generally do this first if you want to give the guy a horse for the mission. To do so you click the add horse button with the guy selected. A little horseshoe will appear on the guy's portrait to indicate that he has a horse. This costs you one horse from your global pool (shown under Mosby's portrait in the top left of the screen). Finally, some troops cost you munitions from your global pool in the same manner. spending beyond what you have in your global pool disables the enter mission button and you'll have to cut back on your spending in order to reactivate it. Entering the mission ends the Confederacy Level turn so make sure you've done all you want to with towns and Mosby before you go into a mission.

~ Clicking on Mosby's big portrait in the top left of the screen opens up a menu that allows you to buy Attributes (permanent perks) for him at the cost of reputation points. Some work some don't (leadership and the speech oriented ones do and are important).

- Keep in mind that you have global caps on munitions and horses. There are actions you can take on towns that increase these global caps. This is important to do long term.

On to missions...

~ Once you have chosen a group of units (potentially adding horses to them) and entered a mission you will start with a view of your soldiers (after a weird camera pop that is a known issue). Now is a good time to put your units into squads.

~ Shift-click up to five of the little thumbnails in the top left of the screen and press ctrl-1 (2, 3, 4, 5) to put those into squads 1-5. Once units are in squads you can press the number above them to select all the units in a squad.

~ Different guys are better at different things:
- Mosby: Generally good all around, but if he dies the mission ends. He get's better as you buy him more Attributes on the Confederacy Level.
- Recruit: This is the youngish looking guy that you have many of on startup. These are noobs with no specializations. They'll get better over time but are also the most expendable.
- Scout: the thin older looking guy with the wide-brim hat. These guys aren't great at combat but tend to see further than most units and as such are good to place on hill tops for spotting or to move forward ahead of your other units to spot enemies early.
- Rifleman: The more grizzled looking recruit. These guys are not noobs. Their strength is in straight up rifle fire.
- Ranger: The tough guy with the beard. These guys tend to be good with stealth and pistols/melee. Good for ambushes if you can get one set up.
- Cavalryman: the professional looking guy with the flat top hat with the brim up. These guys are well disciplined and are the best on horseback in combat.

~ General controls:
- If you left click one of your units in the field or his little thumbnal on the left the thumbnail should highlight. This guy is now under your control. You right click to give him orders. right-click the ground somewhere and he goes there, on an enemy he will attack him, on capturable object he will go capture it (this is slow right now).
- If you select a squad and give orders they will all do the action in the same manner (right-clicking stuff etc)
- Selected units show a unit info card at the bottom of the screen with 6 buttons (these will have icons later):
- R: Tells the unit to use his rifle whenever he attacks
- S: Tells the unit to use his sidearm (pistol) whenever he attacks
- M: Tells the unit to use a melee weapon whenever he attacks
- A: Lets the unit Auto chose whichever of the above three is appropriate

- S: Puts the unit in stealth mode making them harder to detect. Attacking automatically turns this off.
- C: Tells the unit to Charge on his next attack. Charging tells the unit to use his melee weapon and run like heck at the enemy on his next attack.

~ Unit states (all the blinky icons on portraits and floating over guy's heads) tell you what is going on with specific units...
- Magnifying glass: The unit thinks he hears or sees something
- "?!": The unit is pretty darn sure he hears or sees something (enemy units with this over their head are now actively looking for your guys)
- Gun: The unit is in combat
- Skull and Crossbones: The unit is dead
- "!": The unit is panicking, surrendering or fleeing

- Orangy overlay: the unit has lost some health
- Red overlay: the unit is thoroughly wounded

~ Objectives, reputation and leaving the map
- Objectives are listed at the top right of the screen. Completing them gives you some combination of horses, munitions and reputation points as well as XP for your units.
- You can leave the mission at any time by sending Mosby to an exit point (the little circles of flaggy markers at certain points on the map edge). Likewise you can send other units home mid-mission by sending them to these exit points (good if they are wounded etc). It takes a unit a little time to actually leave and the exit points are a little off. If a guy is actually in the process of leaving he'll have the magnifying glass over his head.
- You gain Reputation points and your units gain XP also based on each unit taken care of (either killed, fled or surrendered) on the map. Getting your own guys killed reduces your Reputation points.

~ Other mission stuff to keep in mind:
- Enemy units don't necessarily see your units just because you can see them.
- Enemy units are invisible until one of your units gets close enough to sense him

Note: I'll edit/add to this post as needed.

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:41 pm

How long is a turn and how do we tell that it's over?

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 pm

You have as much time as you want to do all the stuff you want to towns (limited to one action per town per turn and having the rep to do the action).

The way you move the turn forward is by entering a mission.

When you return from the mission you start a new turn (the month should move forward in the top right of the screen).

Back and forth like this is how you progress through the campaign.

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:07 am

Well, I figured out how to die. That's a step in the right direction. :o

tyjenks

Postby tyjenks » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:27 am

Also, Matt did a walkthrough of the early stages tonight with JuliaSet and Muit in the TMiller Group chat on Steam. I do not want to speak for them, but I believe one may take the chat log and post some helpful stuff here or in its own thread.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:40 am

Matt I looked at the chat log and treading water is not my problem drowning is still haven't a clue :( This game is way over my head as a casual gamer :o

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:17 am

I'll be adding some more basic control and gameplay stuff to the help in-game this week based on our little field test the other night. In the meantime, if you pop some questions into this thread (even "I don't know where to start") JuliaSet and Miut as well as others that have more experience with this type of game should be able to get you moving along. This game is definitely a departure from a lot of what we've done in the past and we do want to make sure that it is accessible even if it is a hefty leap for some folks. Let's get this thread going with some good beginner Q&A and see if we can identify the spots that need the most 'splainin.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:13 am

I can get him on his horse, and then Nothing. I click on every thing on the map, and he will not move. He is the only thing on the map. I am suppose to get horses from the union but I don't see any horses.

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Well I got him on his horse and some troopers to move but the party cards got int the way. Never much cared for turn based games when I tried them finding my mind is not as flexible when it comes to games :(

As for questions I don't know where to start nor even if I want to start. Matt I'm sure a it's cool game but just my kind of cool game :o

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:25 pm

"mouse" wrote:As for questions I don't know where to start nor even if I want to start. Matt I'm sure a it's cool game but just my kind of cool game :o

No biggie if you want to sit this one out mouse. If it just ain't your thing and it isn't going to be fun for you to mess with then certainly don't want to do any arm twisting. The point of this is that it should be fun for you in the process.

Cool?

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Matt; I have tried to make sense of this game and I am getting no where, even after trying to follow the instructions. I do not want to waste your time waiting for me to figure it out, evidently this is not my kind of game, you will get more feedback from people who understand the game. Again sorry I can not help.

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Thank you Matt I just hate letting my beloved TM down :o

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:38 pm

This game really NEEDS a tutorial. It is quite unlike the core group to not feel they can play a game.

I'm still buffaloed by the action in the field, even with the hand holding tutorial from Matt.

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:49 pm

It's all good guys. No worries. We've got plenty in the works and some stuff is going be more catered to certain people's likes and dislikes than others. We're branching out and trying a lot of different stuff. There is plenty to work on and your help is always appreciated :)

~Z

somebody

Postby somebody » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:18 am

I really don't understand this game :(
I always die, while the others don't die. It's so frustrating. I even fail the training mission.

It's just not my kind of game, nevertheless I will still buy it when it's out to support you guys.
Last edited by somebody on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Don't worry somebody,

What we are seeing is a very early incarnation of the game. I don't expect to win the mission at this time. Everything is added, fixed and balanced in small portions.

Stay with it and see if you can eventually see progress. This is Alpha!

Return to “Mosby Beta (General)”