QotD 11/04: Difficulty progression

Feedback, suggestions and general discussion on Mosby

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:33 pm

While I find the new build much more stable and smoothier, I think that difficulty is too steep, while earlier I did not get anybody hurt, now I get many wounded and dead and soldiers, (even Mosby) panick and surrender quite easily, I have lost quite a few battles. :D :D :D

Tasharil

Postby Tasharil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:40 pm

The current build is significantly harder than any other build I have seen. I cannot complete any mission without at least one wounded. I would say I am averaging somewhere around 25 per cent casualties - light or heavy wounds or KIA. I have not noticed much of a change in difficulty, probably because I have not gotten to the end of a campaign with the latest build. But overall I think it is slightly too difficult at the start.

Tasharil

Postby Tasharil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:16 pm

More opinions from later in the campaign. I am currently in April 1864 and just tried a mission using 5 experienced and 5 recruits. I aborted the mission for two reasons. First, I couldn't find the second objective, it being nowhere near the X on the map. Second, I took massive casualties just doing the first objective. Out of 11 total soldiers I had 3 KIA, 4 heavy wounds and 1 light wound. Mind you, I do not charge recklessly into battle, I try to engage small groups of enemies and use whatever cover is available. I do not know if you have a level of casualties that you feel is acceptable for a mission, but 8/11 is way too high for me. Oh, and most of my soldiers came from towns with military issue weapons.

Tasharil

Postby Tasharil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 pm

July 1864. I took 8 specialized soldiers and 7 recruits on a mission. All had military grade weapons. I engaged 3 enemies and 4 other nearby joined in the skirmish. 16 vs. 7 seems like fairly decent odds. I killed the seven, but sustained unbelievable losses.

2 - healthy
1 - lightly wounded, panicked and standing next to exit, unresponsive
2 - heavily wounded
3 - fled the map
8 - dead

Since Mosby was one of the healthy I decided to see if I could get the final objective. Mosby was lightly wounded so I started moving him toward the exit. A single enemy in pursuit heavily wounded and then killed Mosby, while riding full speed on a horse!

Is this how difficult it should be in the last half of 1864? Seems pretty harsh to me. The enemy reinforcements came from behind them so I was not flanked even in the slightest. Why did my soldiers flee, if they are supposed to do so when outnumbered?

On a "positive" note, I saw an Achievement for Union Victory. I am not sure if I even want to acknowledge that as an achievement. :(

Tasharil

Postby Tasharil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:24 pm

Tried July 1864 again. Failed again. By the time I complete one of the two objectives half my raid force is either dead or near dead. One skirmish was 9 of my soldiers vs 2 enemy. I lost 2 dead and 2 heavily wounded to 2 enemy dead.

At this point with these kind of results it is useless for me to even try to continue the campaign. I am losing more soldiers per skirmish than the enemy, even when I have overwhelming numbers. With around 50 enemy on the map, there is no way I can even hope to be successful. Help!

Lenny Eusebi

Postby Lenny Eusebi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Out of curiosity, does the last line of the briefing say that they are alert and well lead? Do all missions at that stage say that?

Tasharil

Postby Tasharil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:29 pm

They have about fifty men, all told.

This is the last line for all three of the currently available missions.

Return to “Mosby Beta (General)”