This game is costing me $200 per month

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Caesar Clifford

This game is costing me $200 per month

Postby Caesar Clifford » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:11 am

Not really but I upgraded my internet access today. Since I was getting close to my monthly allowable limit I rang the provider to see how much it cost to get more ... [ sorry don't know right word.. data. memory ..? ]. Although since I only seem to be playing NO at the moment the whole cost is going for this game.

Anyway I was on 3GB a month which by the way has been ample for me for last couple of years without ever going over 85% of usage in a month. This month all I've done is play NO. So anyway I went up to 5GB. And while I was there I thought I would ask about a faster download/upload speed. Currently at 512 kbs/second. Which when I got it was the fastest anyone had.

So now I have [ or will in a couple of days when paperwork is complete ] a download speed of 2MB/ second, upload of 512kbs/second. I figure why not since I'm spending most of my day on the Nile, I may as well enjoy it. So now it will cost me $200 (NZ) per month plus gst which means $225 per month or $2700 per year. All just because I'm having fun on the Nile.

In US dollars on current exchange rate it's about $125 per month and $1500US per year.

I'm guessing we lag behind the rest of the world in speeds and pay the most in costs but I'd be interested to hear what some of you pay in different parts of the world and what speeds you get.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:20 am

I would do some shopping. That sounds like a high price for a low connect speed.

Mine $111.63 @ mo. for DSL & Wireless phone service. My connect speed is 54 Mbps (Million Bits Per Second).

512 Kbps is 512 thousand bits per second.
Last edited by tomnobles on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Looked at bill.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 am

I have only 1GB a month. 384 kbs.

Lets see the 384 is R152/month / R7.50 to get USD = $20
and the 1Gig is R80/month / R7.50 to get USD = $10

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:24 am

Wow, that sounds nuts, mate.

We average $40 - 50 a month over here for unlimited use.

I believe mine is $60 but I have unlimited and 8 MBPS speed so.....

Definitely look around.

Good luck.
Last edited by Michlo on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:30 am

The higest speed in South Africa is 4mbs which costs R700/month = $94/month
Unlimited is R1200 = $ 160

Also note there is only one fixed line operator here. No shopping around possible.

MadZedong

Postby MadZedong » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 am

mine's roughly around 20 USD. unlimited use at 512 kbps. i'll be switching to another provider probably next month, unlimited use as well and at the same cost but at 1mbp. :D

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:37 am

That is the fastest download speed on offer. There is nothing faster. I could not imagine what 54MB's a second would cost and in fact how you can get that fast.

I have my own satellite dish to get the internet as am out in the country and the phone lines are not upgraded enough to get broadband.

I could have brought more GB's per month but won't need any more. Unless this game starts using more than now. LOL.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:42 am

I am surprised to see that some ISPs still want to charge by the amount of data transferred which seems like a throwback to to the early 90s.

There has to be a better unlimited service(s) out there near you somewhere.

My current ISP provides a 3.5Mips bandwidth and doesn't limit me on how much data I can transfer. If they charged like the one Cliff has, I'd only be able to use it for about 1 week or less each month. ;)

I forget the exact amount, but it's somewhere between $34-$40/month for me. I might be able to upgrade to 7Mips for more money, but I'm not unhappy with what I have. I wasn't supposed to be able to get 3.5Mip service but I called them and talked with them and upgraded my old 850/384 broadband service to 3.5Mips about a year after I got broadband. Even though my area wasn't supposedly covered by that type of service they flipped a few switches in their network and voila! Normally a broadband access is provided by a local office or hub, mine is coming from 120 miles away!

I would definitely do some looking around, Cliff.

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 am

Of course, you could just stop sitting in there all day watching nothing really change. :P

Just pop in now and then before you run up against your NEW limit and end up living in a box with an expensive satellite connection. heh

I hardly check at all at the weekends, I'm only in here so much during the week because I leave it running at work and pop in during slow times.

Cheers.

Siptah
Location: Fürth, Germany | Immortal in Sabah | as Men Maat Ra in Sabah & Theoris now

Postby Siptah » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:54 am

I have unlimited data transfer with 16 MBit/s. Paying 29 € for it (about 37 $) and i haven't seen a limited offer here in Germany for years, except for mobile phones.

Silpion

Postby Silpion » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:12 am

I pay 30 EUR (39 USD) and get 6.000 kB/s download speed with unlimited traffic. Oh, and free phone calls within germany. Prices are still dropping, if you sign a 24 month contract you pay only 20 EUR (26 USD) per month during the first half year.

Otus

Postby Otus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:30 am

I pay about 45€ for 60 GB and 20 Mbps.
I'd swith to a cheaper provider with no limits but they have no coverage over my part of the city :/ Luckily I'll be moving in 6 months so there's my chance :)

angus

Postby angus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:31 am

In France I pay 35 euros a month for 54 mbps and unlimited download plus most lfree calls abroad except to mobiles. The mbps is rarely 54 but it works ok. I think our provider is part of AOL but it has changed hands several times since we signed up last year.

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:16 am

I was shop browsing yesterday and discovered that one of our providers of 3g mobile phones and plans is now offering Pay as You Go mobile broadband deals. £100 gets you a 12Gb data allowance and the modem (£40) once you use that up you just top it up as needed. (A Typical 5Gb of data usage a month costs £20.00 on long term contracts).

As for the house I have fibre on a 10 meg line with no usage limits for £25 a month.

ianmcb

And it will soon cost you even more!

Postby ianmcb » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Read the Terms of Agreement.

A 'Premium Membership,' payed for in monthly dues, is coming up. Paying users will have access to additional features or 'Basic use'-users will be denied access to certain features they currently have access to.

Thoughts?

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:49 pm

My UK ISP charges 15 quid a month (shortly rising to 20) for 8 meg down and no usage limits.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:58 pm

"ianmcb" wrote:Read the Terms of Agreement.

A 'Premium Membership,' payed for in monthly dues, is coming up. Paying users will have access to additional features or 'Basic use'-users will be denied access to certain features they currently have access to.

Thoughts?

Do you mean the game itself by that?

I don´t think that features will be drawn from the users. I understood paying a fee will get us rid of advertizing banners and give us some city beautification.

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:10 pm

No no the premium membership is to pay for this :)

Supported browsers: Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer 7+, Safari, Chrome
Recommended: Firefox 3+, Chrome.

IE 7 support

Also I feel that the updated TOC were misrepresented by the poster since

The Company may modify features, cease to offer features and/or include features in the Basic version

Note the use of the word may, this is not will.

Read them yourselves at http://www.playnileonline.com/termsandconditions.php

It's also not much of a secret that there would be potentially some form of premium content.

I am mainly curious by the idea of a "monthly" subscription since I expect it to be fairly low and therefore any "collection charges" would likely be a high percentage of it. I would have thought a "quarterly" subscription model would have been more appropriate. Then again I have no idea how much visa/mastercard/paypal etc charge for collecting :) .

Deguakay

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:14 pm

"Deguar" wrote:No no the premium membership is to pay for this :)

Hmm, that would suck.

Danthaking

Postby Danthaking » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:38 pm

"Caesar Clifford" wrote:Not really but I upgraded my internet access today. Since I was getting close to my monthly allowable limit I rang the provider to see how much it cost to get more ... [ sorry don't know right word.. data. memory ..? ]. Although since I only seem to be playing NO at the moment the whole cost is going for this game.

Anyway I was on 3GB a month which by the way has been ample for me for last couple of years without ever going over 85% of usage in a month. This month all I've done is play NO. So anyway I went up to 5GB. And while I was there I thought I would ask about a faster download/upload speed. Currently at 512 kbs/second. Which when I got it was the fastest anyone had.

So now I have [ or will in a couple of days when paperwork is complete ] a download speed of 2MB/ second, upload of 512kbs/second. I figure why not since I'm spending most of my day on the Nile, I may as well enjoy it. So now it will cost me $200 (NZ) per month plus gst which means $225 per month or $2700 per year. All just because I'm having fun on the Nile.

In US dollars on current exchange rate it's about $125 per month and $1500US per year.

I'm guessing we lag behind the rest of the world in speeds and pay the most in costs but I'd be interested to hear what some of you pay in different parts of the world and what speeds you get.

Wtf mate... What ISP are you on?
I'm in NZ costing me 80$/month, got Telstraclear cable 20gb Data cap with 10mbps DL/2mbps upload. **** you are getting ripped... I spend like 1% data cap on Nile and 99% on Linux Iso's

Return to “General Discussion”