Nile Online v0.35 Update

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Reed

Nile Online v0.35 Update

Postby Reed » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Please reload if you're currently in v0.34.

- Subscription service added (help support the game, and get some goodies at the same time...)
- Titles added (climb the ladder from lowly Vagrant to Pharaoh!)

FYI- Military/monument stuff is the next big thing to come.

abana

Postby abana » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Is there a list of all of the titles? I am a villager, and I'm wondering how many ranks I have managed to climb.

MoonHeart

Postby MoonHeart » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:22 pm

Yay another update!

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Hmm,

Just read the subscription "services"..

I guess that's fine... not functional but aesthetic and "security" (scroll/inactivity things) improvements... the price seems fairly high, though. Seems fine as long as those who don't pay don't lose access to vital things such as buildings, units, etc.

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:34 pm

~meh~

One of those, hmm if I post this will it start a flame war posts but

~meh~

Why, why did the subscription have to be in dollars :( , (apart from TM being based there :) ) with all the recent market and financial shenanigans my 2 dollars pound is currently lanquishing on 1 dollar 52, not including whatever charge gets whacked onto that by visa/paypal for the currency conversion.

~meh~

Paying it in dollars makes it suddenly nearly 20% more expensive than it would have been 3-4 months ago and brings it close to 36% of what I used to pay on A.N.Other MMORPG :(

~meh~

I could go out get CoTN and Alexandria expansion pack for 5 months of this

~meh~

Decisions, decisions

Deguakay

angus

Postby angus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:36 pm

I won't be subscribing. Not much for the money. Wonder what you have to do to become pharaoh?

abana

Postby abana » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I can't subscribe now, but don't forget, there is more to come, so I will be revisiting the question.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I will subsribe as soon as I find out how to do this without having a credit card :rolleyes:

As for the title: I´m craftsman. Anyone something higher yet?

Reed

Postby Reed » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 pm

"angus" wrote:I won't be subscribing. Not much for the money

What would you be interested in?

Btw, we are hoping that cosmetic features for subscribing will be enough. I'd really rather not go down the path of it providing gameplay advantages.

It is vital, so looking forward to all feedback on this!
Last edited by Reed on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 pm

"angus" wrote:I won't be subscribing. Not much for the money. Wonder what you have to do to become pharaoh?

Getting a level 22 palace, I suppose.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 pm

"abana" wrote:Is there a list of all of the titles? I am a villager, and I'm wondering how many ranks I have managed to climb.

!!SPOILER ALERT!!

At least Level 1 - 3 palace -- Vagrant
Level 4 - 6 -- Villager
Level 7 - 9 -- Craftsman
Level 10+ -- Overseer
Top 10 -- Pharaoh

You might see some craftsmen with level 10 cities -- I think it's because rankings haven't updated with .35.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:43 pm

"Reed" wrote:What would you be interested in?

Btw, we are hoping that cosmetic features for subscribing will be enough. I'd really rather not go down the path of it providing gameplay advantages.

|. :) .|

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Questions about subscription

1) Is it reversable? I read that failure to pay monthy results in removal of account. Does this mean totally? Not just back to free? If I decide later I no longer wish to subscribe, then I am screwed?

2) Can you take a wild guess of the bad effects of having more bells & whistles on my dialup? Will I still be able to run the game?

3) If we decide against the subscription, will you have a cash Donation pot so we can give you Blessings? ;)

Thank you, Reed!

EDIT: Do I have to click on the "agree to terms" every time I log in, or is this another IE7 thingie? :eek: <ducking> :D <runz away FAST>
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tahngarth
Location: Tomoo - entombed at 8N Sabah, theoris - tomoo - 6S,36S,38S

Postby Tahngarth » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 pm

happy to donate but.. can i have a pay for 3 months option, dont wanna suffer international charges every month on the payment! (sterling to dollar)

deadlock

Postby deadlock » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I certainly would rather stop playing than get ahead by paying for some kind of advantage, or seeing others doing that. It makes the game meaningless, and usually draws the worst kind of crowd to the game. See Facebook games.

By the way, I think it is too early in the game "evolution" yet to offer subscription services. You should have waited until everything has been tested, including the long awaited military and monuments. I hope you won't get a lot of headache from "Hey I paid for this!" kind of comments :)

Maybe asking for donations rather than subscription would make it an easier transition for now. You could give obelisks etc. as a gift to donators...

"Reed" wrote:What would you be interested in?

It is vital, so looking forward to all feedback on this!

Silpion

Postby Silpion » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:55 pm

@ Reed:
Please provide preview screenshots of the visual changes. Preferably link to them from the subscription page so everyone can find them without browsing the forums.

Is it possible to downgrade the account later from subscription to non-subscription?

amator

Postby amator » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:10 pm

Wow. isn't it just beautiful: Column, Statues, Dancing Monkeys. But most important I finally don't have those ugly adds about "Chat with Single Arabs "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by amator on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarkorah

Postby Tarkorah » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Pay to play upgrades (esp. with online games) tend to be a fairly complicated balancing system - it requires a choice as to whether the payments are going to have gameplay impact or just be cosmetic, and both sides have benefits and disadvantages.

Gameplay advantages that can be bought usually create a two-tier system which makes the game less fun for those that won't (or can't!) pay for the game; it results in inequity that can cripple a flourishing and vibrant community. For new players, it makes it seem like money will buy success, for old ones, it doesn't seem fair that a newbie can climb the ranks much more quickly simply because they spent money.

On the other hand, sheer cosmetic enhancements are generally not worth paying for, especially if it's by subscription. Sure, prettier graphics or more doodads and decoration are nice, but (especially in this economy, right?) they're usually not worth the investment.

The balance that I think is probably the best line to take is to install gameplay enhancements instead of advantages. Some of the upgrades are along this line - having more allies, buy/sell orders, and scrolls retained is exactly what I'm talking about. Essentially, there should be benefit that will make the game easier to navigate, perhaps, but not one that will directly make a paid player better than one that is playing for free.

Some other 'benefits' I would like to see added to make subscribing more worthwhile:

• A trade manager that will list all trades across all your cities, making it easy to buy lowest / sell highest. This would save those that have more than one city a lot of time, and if you wanted to go one step further, be able to choose from that window which city to ship it to (providing the city that buys it has the ships).
  • A city calculator that will do math for you and tell you at what time you will run out of X resource at the rate you're currently using them, and perhaps an option to adjust the rate so you'll run out after X hours - perfect for when you go to sleep at night.
  • Mass scrolling all the people in your nome - because some of them never check the scribe wall, and you want them to donate. (obviously subject to revocation upon abuse).
  • Possibly using the paid testers as beta-testers for the next patch - they'd be a smaller group than everyone, but a bigger group than the 26 alphas.
  • On the cosmetic side: a special title system next to their name if they're subscribed? i.e. Villager becomes Headman, Craftsman become Entrepreneurs, etc.

That being said, for right now: Pictures of cosmetic enhancements please?

//edit//: Ah. cosmetics are pretty, but...not that amazing, for $5 a month.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Offering MONKEYS only with Subscription is EVIL

:D

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Monkeys! I'm in.

But why do I have to have anything to do with Pay Pal? I don't want them storing my information. I don't want them knowing my information. I popped my credit card number in there and hit continue but now it's wants me to create a pay pal account. Not happening. I want to pay...take my money please!

ps. I would also prefer to pay 6 months at a time for a small discount.

Return to “General Discussion”