Idea for direct trade.

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
NSD

Idea for direct trade.

Postby NSD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:11 am

Hey guys
Now that I've started doing a lot more direct trading than before, I was thinking how eventually, one day, I will get burnt :D . Some may say otherwise, but I'm pretty sure it's inevitable.
Anyway, here's what I was thinking: when sending out goods to some player, also specify what you intend to receive from him. If he doesn't do his part of the deal, make it possible for you to cancel your shipment.
For example, say I'm trading oil for henna at 1:1. If I send player A 100 oil, he would have to send me 100 henna. Hence, in the mock-up seen in the picture below, I'd put 100 in the oil of "send to", and 100 in the henna of "receive from".
By nsd
He would have to do the opposite - send 100 henna, receive 100 oil. That would make the trade final, and neither of us would be able to cancel shipments. Goods would arrive at destination, and all would be fine.
On the other hand, say player B promises you 100 henna for 100 oil. You, being fair and all, send your share to him. He somehow "neglects" to do his part. Since he hasn't completed the "send this, receive that" forms, he'd still receive your shipment after however long time it needs to get there, but the goods wouldn't show up in his inventory. You could say the ship has docked, but the sailors refuse to unload the goods until they receive their outgoing cargo, or something. From here, you have two options. If he holds his end of the deal (and completes the "forms"), he receives the goods you sent. If he refuses to, you can just cancel your shipment, and receive back whatever you sent. (Also maybe there should be a button "unload anyway" in case you're feeling generous or something.)
I've also included a "donation" checkbox. That makes direct trading into what it is now. You don't have to input what you expect in return, goods get stocked as soon as they get there, etc.
I'd like to hear what you guys think. Is there something I'm missing that breaks the idea ? Would any of you actually want this for a direct trade system ?

Qetesh

Postby Qetesh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:42 am

Something like that would be great - my biggest problem however is not deadbeat traders, but remembering when I've got to send trades, and to whom! it would be great to have a safeguard like this, solely for my own forgetfulness. Scrolling up and down in past trades can take a lot of time too.

windrider001

Postby windrider001 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:50 am

I like the risk aspect of trading with people who might scam you my problem is also forgetting what I'm supposed to send back to who. If there was a message that showed up that told me what goods were expected of me when the person on the other end commenced shipment, I'd prefer that over this.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:19 am

I get the feeling that the possibility of rogue traders and word-of-mouth is intended to be part and parcel of this game. If you think about it, anyone who has reached the top 500 or so and regularly did not honour trade agreements would have been plastered all over the forum and scribe wall. I suspect Reed thinks that this is protection enough. With new players, and especially new players seeking large trades, the policy of caveat emptor might apply, but all the same there seem to be very few trying this on.

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:48 pm

"Qetesh" wrote:Something like that would be great - my biggest problem however is not deadbeat traders, but remembering when I've got to send trades, and to whom! it would be great to have a safeguard like this, solely for my own forgetfulness. Scrolling up and down in past trades can take a lot of time too.

Shameless Plug.

SUG: Transports Screen - Arrivals Pane

Deguakay
Hetephinushr of Raka (59N) Sandals and Leather
Rakheben of Amunsesh (49N) Sculptures and Bronze

Terranova9
Location: near Boston MA USA/aka RastaFari - THEORIS- Basttti (34N) » Samsara ///SABAH - 147S/148S/149S

Postby Terranova9 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:11 pm

I'd be willing to bet that some of the so called dead beat traders are actually players that forgot to send the shipments they were supposed to. If you trade allot and aren't very organized, it can be easy to forget who sent you what, etc.

So anything that might help or be some sort of reminder would be welcome.

Case in point: The other day someone contacted me to trade for henna. I had just set up my new city and didn't even have ships. I told the player, "yes, when I am ready I would love to trade for....". Next thing I know I had 100 of that material sitting in my inventory. I look through the log and realize the player sent it to me without my knowledge. :confused: So now I have no ships available to send in exchange and had to remember to send the goods to this player when I could. :eek: Had I forgotten, I might have easily been blamed for a dead beat trader.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:36 pm

If a system like this were implemented, it would need to allow for shipments from multiple cities. As an example, suppose someone agreed to trade 400 of their leather for 200 gold and 200 bronze. The other player might need to send the payment from two different cities. Currently, that could not be done with the above arrangement. A more sophisticated shipping arrangement would be needed.

NSD

Postby NSD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:If a system like this were implemented, it would need to allow for shipments from multiple cities. As an example, suppose someone agreed to trade 400 of their leather for 200 gold and 200 bronze. The other player might need to send the payment from two different cities. Currently, that could not be done with the above arrangement. A more sophisticated shipping arrangement would be needed.

You're right. What if ... when selecting the person to trade with, you'd get a pop-up for every city that he owns ? They'd all be on the screen at the same time, and I think with a tad smaller font size it would be doable.
But yeah, from what people are saying, I guess they're not finding it a problem :)

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:16 am

If you think about it, anyone who has reached the top 500 or so and regularly did not honour trade agreements would have been plastered all over the forum and scribe wall.

The name of Deadseasemus will be used to get little children too scared to swap their lunches at school for generations to come on the Nile.

I am probably the worst at just sending stuff when someone asks for a trade. I have to try and make myself not send right away until they have confirmed it back to me. Thing is I don't care. I'd rather make sure I sent what I had to than forgot. I hate the trades where I don't have all the goods on hand when it's asked for and I have to remember to send some later on. i would hate not to send something.It'd be nice if you got another bill with a 10% penalty interest added on a week after if you forgot to send what you had promised.

Rama-Seph

Postby Rama-Seph » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:18 am

Great, Clifford, I'll send you the bill right away. What do you mean you never traded with me? I'm sure you did, you just forgot...

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:56 am

Bastutu, 52N.

Haven't received it yet. Still waiting. Hope it was cedar. There's a little left in my warehouse. :rolleyes:

Return to “General Discussion”