The Battle of the Millenium is About to Commence!

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Acu-Ra
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Souls

Postby Acu-Ra » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Now wait, the souls are already in spirit on the otherside (other dimension) or they are still in physical form? Is the commencing army energy or physical?

Looks to me as though the vastness of the galaxy is about to decend on tiny little center of the earth...so to speak. Interesting. :rolleyes:

Ghost Platypus
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:02 am
Location: Djankenpon, Amundep 4N

Postby Ghost Platypus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:24 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:Rather than to submit, the vast majority of enemy troops fought to the death. :eek:


I know this isn't supposed to be a Total War game or anything, but I wonder how well it'd all work out if armies only took partial casualties before one side or the other fled. Maybe it'd just drag things on insufferably...

Tinkerbell
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:33 pm

Spearmen suck

totally

Per Barracks spew

Archers kill Spearmen
Charioteers kill Archers
Spearmen kill NOBODY

:D

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:35 pm

"Acu-Ra" wrote:Now wait, the souls are already in spirit on the otherside (other dimension) or they are still in physical form? Is the commencing army energy or physical?

Looks to me as though the vastness of the galaxy is about to decend on tiny little center of the earth...so to speak. Interesting. :rolleyes:


They need time to finish their journey...


"Ghost Platypus" wrote:I know this isn't supposed to be a Total War game or anything, but I wonder how well it'd all work out if armies only took partial casualties before one side or the other fled. Maybe it'd just drag things on insufferably...

I would like that too.


In any case, it seems that the amount of captured units is fairly miniscule, though.... could be a bug?

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Our men have soundly routed the second wave. 80 of our courageous men lost their lives. Thirteen enemy chariots defected to our side. We praise their change of heart.

The last wave is still bearing down upon our monument site, and it is the biggest and most dangerous of all... we will only have 1200 units to deal with them. However, many of them are now veterans, and I anticipate a glorious battle.

An estimated 1064 troops from Hennamonopolis (2N) heading toward Really Not Evil Pyramid (37S)! (arrival in 44m)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrCuddlyTiger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Postby MrCuddlyTiger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I didn't notice this thread until now... but I hope you know it was an ill-fated attack to begin with...

1. You had 35 hours notice
2. You were able to see how many guys we sent
4. You get a massive deffensive bonus from the lvl 1 pyramid

My only hope was to show Reed how gimped the army system is. Even with a greatly superior force you have NO HOPE at all of ever defeating anybody who is not close enough to run a suprise attack on. In your particular case there is no way to take you out of 1st place unless you stop paying attention to the game for a few days.

Just so everybody knows, when the armies were sent off Ag had about 450 soldiers on his monument. After he got a msg that the attacks were on the way he had about 33 hours to put more guys on and take his excess bread/stone out. He now has over 1000 troops there...still after two attacks have hit. You guys do the math and let this be a clear sign to you that spending any time on military is worthless... just buy your limestone for cheap on the market and don't mess with monuments cuz they are a waste of time and bread.

As for me I've already transfered the majority of my wealth to another player and will be canceling my account after the attack hits.

roboczar
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 am

Postby roboczar » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:49 pm

"MrCuddlyTiger" wrote:As for me I've already transfered the majority of my wealth to another player and will be canceling my account after the attack hits.


I'm not even close to taking that step, but you're dead-on with the rest of your post. The advantage is too heavily in the defender's favor, and attacking can only succeed if you know your opponent can't muster a defense in time.

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:49 pm

"MrCuddlyTiger" wrote:I didn't notice this thread until now... but I hope you know it was an ill-fated attack to begin with...

1. You had 35 hours notice
2. You were able to see how many guys we sent
4. You get a massive deffensive bonus from the lvl 1 pyramid

My only hope was to show Reed how gimped the army system is. Even with a greatly superior force you have NO HOPE at all of ever defeating anybody who is not close enough to run a suprise attack on. In your particular case there is no way to take you out of 1st place unless you stop paying attention to the game for a few days.

Just so everybody knows, when the armies were sent off Ag had about 450 soldiers on his monument. After he got a msg that the attacks were on the way he had about 33 hours to put more guys on and take his excess bread/stone out. He now has over 1000 troops there...still after two attacks have hit. You guys do the math and let this be a clear sign to you that spending any time on military is worthless... just buy your limestone for cheap on the market and don't mess with monuments cuz they are a waste of time and bread.

As for me I've already transfered the majority of my wealth to another player and will be canceling my account after the attack hits.


Yes, well, what do you expect? Attacking from so far away should not give you any gain due to the massive bread cost incurred, so the only reason to attack is to "bring down player #1". You expect someone to be prepared for complete surprise attacks of massive armies by people who throw everything at you and quit the game, from 40 hours away?

So, in fact, monuments WOULD BE a waste of time and bread, if you had your way.

In any case, what massive defensive bonus? Felix23 had half my troop size in the first wave, and I lost 25% of my troops. I expect to lose massive amounts of troops this time around.

Unit capturing is completely borked, also.

EDIT: And, as a side note, I am not impressed at all at your actions. You started first, and you're not in first place. So, you're trying to kick me out of first place out of what.. spite? Jealousy? Anger? No rational reason there.

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Well, here are the results of the massive onslaught. The enemy army was nearly evenly matched at the beginning of the day. As the battle dragged on, losses mounted on both sides.

We managed to capture a contingent of 57 spearmen were captured in a sneak attack by Chariot Group Ra. This event began turning the tide in our favor as the day wore on.

It appears that MrCuddlyTiger's generals saw reason and turned back to their cities in mid-day. The battlefield will soak the desert red for many moons. We salute our fallen troops. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrCuddlyTiger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Postby MrCuddlyTiger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:01 pm

I don't care about *you*... the attack was just another attack in a long list I've already done... it was my last ditch effort to find something worth doing. I didn't start "first"... I did start earlier than you and that's fine I'm not trying to get first place... I've spent my time in the top 5 and many who have been around have known me as an honorable player who always gives more in trade than I expect back. As time has gone on I got bored I stopped caring and let myself slide... simple as that.

As I stated before the attack was ill-fated from the get go, I talked it over with felix and we decided you could be the target because we didn't want to hit people in our own nome and figured it wouldn't matter cuz any attack before leaving would be a fair waste anyway. I thought about hitting another guy who was less well defended, but he was like 72 hours away, which I didn't have the patience for. If it didn't take so dang long to transfer 80,000 bread plus a ton of other goods to somebody else when you only have 44 ships I prolly would have just canceld my account before.

We really contemplated hitting Reed, but felix was able to do that without much trouble... so you got the short straw... sorry if it has hurt your feelings.

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm

"MrCuddlyTiger" wrote:I don't care about *you*... the attack was just another attack in a long list I've already done... it was my last ditch effort to find something worth doing. I didn't start "first"... I did start earlier than you and that's fine I'm not trying to get first place... I've spent my time in the top 5 and many who have been around have known me as an honorable player who always gives more in trade than I expect back. As time has gone on I got bored I stopped caring and let myself slide... simple as that.

As I stated before the attack was ill-fated from the get go, I talked it over with felix and we decided you could be the target because we didn't want to hit people in our own nome and figured it wouldn't matter cuz any attack before leaving would be a fair waste anyway. I thought about hitting another guy who was less well defended, but he was like 72 hours away, which I didn't have the patience for. If it didn't take so dang long to transfer 80,000 bread plus a ton of other goods to somebody else when you only have 44 ships I prolly would have just canceld my account before.

We really contemplated hitting Reed, but felix was able to do that without much trouble... so you got the short straw... sorry if it has hurt your feelings.


As I said, no rational reason. If I had not known you were coming, you would have ruined my monument and looted a few hundred limestone, and for what? Just for a chance to kick me out of #1, is what.

Tinkerbell
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:08 pm

"MrCuddlyTiger" wrote:1. You had 35 hours notice


That can't be helped

2. You were able to see how many guys we sent


Gee, guess who wanted this one? And got it like everything else? Yep ~ Agamemnus. It also appears that Reed is on his team, giving him everything he wants to keep himself in Rank #1

4. You get a massive deffensive bonus from the lvl 1 pyramid


My Sphinx fell easily, so I don't think so. The problem was you sent mostly pitiful Spearmen

MrCuddlyTiger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Postby MrCuddlyTiger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:12 pm

it is pointless to argue over this... the reasoning was given in my first post, and it was to show reed that the way the armies are now is gimped... we obviously knew you had ample warning when we sent our armies out.

If we had knocked you out of first place so what? Would you have quit? No, it would have just made the game a bit more challenging, and perhaps a little more interesting for you... I mean just look at this thread... it gave you something to be excited about and look forward to... but think about the attackers... we had nothing to look forward to, we could have attacked some random person but nobody would have known about that.

But in any case, my last ships are off, and wish you all the best of luck.

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:12 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Gee, guess who wanted this one? And got it like everything else? Yep ~ Agamemnus. It also appears that Reed is on his team, giving him everything he wants to keep himself in Rank #1


Well, it may seem that way (and I am flattered you think so), but Reed said they were going to do this (add force strengths) anyway.

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:14 pm

"MrCuddlyTiger" wrote:it is pointless to argue over this... the reasoning was given in my first post, and it was to show reed that the way the armies are now is gimped... we obviously knew you had ample warning when we sent our armies out.

If we had knocked you out of first place so what? Would you have quit? No, it would have just made the game a bit more challenging, and perhaps a little more interesting for you... I mean just look at this thread... it gave you something to be excited about and look forward to... but think about the attackers... we had nothing to look forward to, we could have attacked some random person but nobody would have known about that.

But in any case, my last ships are off, and wish you all the best of luck.


It is not "gimped". You just shouldn't be able to attack someone 40 hours off and expect to be rewarded for it.

Also, the fact that you sent diversions of 0-20 units to my other pyramid was a completely legitimate tactic...

Edit: And don't forget the massive amount of troops I was holding cost a lot of dough. I would not have even considered battle if it wasn't for 2000 cedar and 600 bronze that was given to me to defend.
Last edited by Agamemnus on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:17 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:As I said, no rational reason.


Garbage. Total garbage

If I had not known you were coming, you would have ruined my monument and looted a few hundred limestone, and for what? Just for a chance to kick me out of #1, is what.


That is the entire point of the game! :D

It is

King of the Hill

not

Slaves to the King
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

felix23
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:30 am
Location: Rawesh (zero S)

Postby felix23 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:21 pm

"lynnk" wrote:
Sadly though - those nasty evil feelings are real for those people - those feelings of sadism jealousy domination etc etc etc- people who pillage and rape and kill in games really do enjoy feeling those feelings... sadly...


Wow. It's almost as if you're projecting your insecurities on to everyone else... fascinating.

dreadmime
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: Rames, Thanitopulous 86S

Postby dreadmime » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Do keep in mind it's a learning experience and an evolving process.

Some thoughts:

1.) As i've stated several times, the Military system needs a lot of work because right now, the only real reason to attack another player is simply because your a bully who wants to kick over their sandcastle. It's like The Grinch who Stole Christmas in a video game. Your job is to run around popping balloons and stealing candy. There needs to be something to actually /gain/ and therefore something to actually /hold/ that's "worthwhile" for a monument plot.

2.) Incoming Attack Data should be capped at some point so that you don't have 2 or 3 days to plan for the attack. Perhaps you only get warning that a force is incoming when it's within 24 hours? This would have made Felix and Tiger's attack a little bit more of a "surprise", as well as cutting aga's potential response time in half.

3.) Once defenders are placed on a monument, I think they should be committed there. I don't mind shuffling off your last stores of Limestone. I don't mind losing a few laborers who get slaughtered at the monument. But I visualize that if I had 1,000 soldiers, and you attacked with 1500, i'd simply redact them to my town, wait till you got bored and went to attack someone else, and then move them back. Having them be "commited" to the monument means they'll fight to the bitter end no matter what.

felix23
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:30 am
Location: Rawesh (zero S)

Postby felix23 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:40 pm

A couple ideas to fix the "gimped" military:

Allow attacks on cities, but the attack ONLY affects the barracks. Tie the maximum number of attackers to level of barrack, so that if your barracks are attacked and reduced in level, you start losing units until you build the barracks back up.

Alternatively, only allow attacks on other players from monument sites. Monument sites can only support so many military units, and when attacked and reduced in level, military units start reducing.


Right now, the hours or days worth of notice makes largely ineffective any long range attack. In fact, a person could avoid building a monument until she had stockpiled enough limestone to immediately build 2 or 3 levels, then build military units to support it before building commenced. This route avoids all the bread costs associated with maintaining the military over the long term, but immediately establishes a person unless they are attacked by her immediate neighbors.

Agamemnus
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:43 pm

"felix23" wrote:A couple ideas to fix the "gimped" military:
Allow attacks on cities, but the attack ONLY affects the barracks. Tie the maximum number of attackers to level of barrack, so that if your barracks are attacked and reduced in level, you start losing units until you build the barracks back up.

Bad idea -- a strong player, or group of players, could totally destroy the military capability of another player.


Alternatively, only allow attacks on other players from monument sites. Monument sites can only support so many military units, and when attacked and reduced in level, military units start reducing.

That will just add micromanagement to the game.


Right now, the hours or days worth of notice makes largely ineffective any long range attack.

And why again should it be effective?


In fact, a person could avoid building a monument until she had stockpiled enough limestone to immediately build 2 or 3 levels, then build military units to support it before building commenced. This route avoids all the bread costs associated with maintaining the military over the long term, but immediately establishes a person unless they are attacked by her immediate neighbors.

You forgot that 2 levels of a monument require 2 days of building.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests