Noob questions ahead. You have been warned...

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
riisen

Noob questions ahead. You have been warned...

Postby riisen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi there,

My first post here, as i´ve only played Nile for a few days now. I like the game so far, however i have a few questions:

1. I am able to produce the raw materials, wheat, clay, reeds & cedar. The others i have to trade to get, right?

2. What are the ships for? I mean, do they affect the number of orders i can place on the trade market, or do i upgrade my market to do that?

3. Why does people want to gain controle over the monuments? Reading through this (lovely) forum i´m left with the impression, that it is rather costly, and limits your ability to manouver with your military.

4. Can your city be attacked by other players, or is it only the monuments?

5. in the nome view i´ve noticed, that some of your nabours cities have red flags (they are rather tiny), and som have yellow. Is there any difference, or is it just a matter of graphics?

Thats all for now, but i´m sure more will follow :D

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:50 pm

"riisen" wrote:Hi there,

My first post here, as i´ve only played Nile for a few days now. I like the game so far, however i have a few questions:

1. I am able to produce the raw materials, wheat, clay, reeds & cedar. The others i have to trade to get, right?

Yes. Welcome to Nile Online, by the way. :)

2. What are the ships for? I mean, do they affect the number of orders i can place on the trade market, or do i upgrade my market to do that?

Ships are for direct trades with other players, which you can arrange through the Trade Wall or through sending and receiving scrolls.

Upgrading your market will allow you to see more nomes, but not to place more orders.

3. Why does people want to gain controle over the monuments? Reading through this (lovely) forum i´m left with the impression, that it is rather costly, and limits your ability to manouver with your military.

The monuments are in fact the only use for the military. That is their attraction for some. For others, building a monument is a part of playing a city-builder game. And for everyone, the monument sites are the only source of limestone. Limestone is needed to upgrade your city above level 11.

Only the monuments.

5. in the nome view i´ve noticed, that some of your nabours cities have red flags (they are rather tiny), and som have yellow. Is there any difference, or is it just a matter of graphics?

The little colored circles indicate account activity. If you move the mouse cursor over them, it will indicate a timeframe. Blue means on vacation, grey (or lights out) means the city may be due to be removed soon for account activity.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:57 pm

I can answer a few of your questions, Riisen.. First, your city should have one particular product you can build on, such as gold, emeralds, cedar, kohl, oil, etc.. Besides producing the things you need to survive and trade on such as wheat, reeds, etc, this other product will enable you to purchase other luxury items and resources you need to upgrade your buildings..
You must have ships in order to trade, the market only trades items for bread, not other goods.. So when the time is right you will want to invest in cedar and build ships..
Fighting over monuments is strictly voluntary.. You don't have to build them or an army, some people just enjoy doing that kind of stuff.. No one will attack your city, it's only the monuments.. :D
Are you talking about the little circle spots in the Nomes? If so, they just indicate if a site is active, on vacation, inactive, etc..
Hope that helps.. Have fun and keep asking questions.. ;)

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:57 pm

1. Yes

2a. Ships are used in direct trading read the
Direct Trade For Beginners guide for more helpful information

2b. Market trade is effectively land transport and based on the size of your market, the larger a market you have the further you can see to buy goods. Buy and sell order amounts are universal unless you become a subscriber where you get little more.

3. Don't worry about monuments for a long time. ;) But a monument plot provides a needed resource, Limestone, for palace upgrades after 11. Though obviously you can buy this on the market or direct trade for it as well. Building a monument now gives you a small 1% bonus per level up to 5 levels.

4. Only monument plots can be attacked by other players.

5. if you hover your mouse over the little circles you will see that they are activity indicators.

Otherwise, read the primer
Use this forum and it's search function for tags like "temple" "monument" "military" etc
Use the general wall for asking questions
Watch the trade scribe wall, you will get the hang of how it all works quickly
It's also worth letting us know where you are and who you are with a little signature pasted in.

Deguakay
Hetephinushr of Raka (59N) Sandals and Leather
Rakheben of Amunsesh (49N) Sculptures and Bronze
Rawaset of Setger (80N) Jewelry and Gold

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Three replies in fourteen minutes, that's what you call service :)

Deguakay

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:16 pm

"riisen" wrote:5. in the nome view i´ve noticed, that some of your nabours cities have red flags (they are rather tiny), and som have yellow. Is there any difference, or is it just a matter of graphics?

In case you do not mean the activity indicators but the actual flags ;) , you´ll notice that yellow flagged cities also glow. This indicates that the owner of the city is a subscriber, which gives them some nice graphics and some other goodies (you can see a list if you click on "subscribe" in the line at the top of your screen).

Welcome to the Nile!

speysider
Location: Migdol, Osiriskai: Maritis, Sethat-ib: Qadesh, Rasuten

Postby speysider » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:19 pm

riisen wrote:Hi there,

Hi there.

1. Wheat, Clay and Reeds are always there. You cannot destroy them since they are required at all times. Cedar is just a Luxury Material. Every nome has two different Luxury Materials. When you register for a beta-invite, the computer will decide which nome you go to and which location in that Nome.

2. Ships are for direct trade. To build them, you just need cedar (local or imported) and an Exchange to build them. When you attack a monument and/or found another city somewhere else, the Exchange allows you to send goods to your own monuments and/or other cities you have.

3. Monument building is optional, it's not part of the game (although many people want to build them or gain the Limestone at each monument site ;) ) If you don't want to attack a monument, you don't need to bother with military, since that is it's only purpose, which means Limestone will have to be imported from someone else because Limestone is a requirement for Palace Upgrade past Level 11. Monuments provide your cities with a 1% boost.

4. Monuments are the only things that others can attack. A new feature is that Hapi or bandits can attack your sailing ships and cause them to drown. Never seen it happen, but is part of NO.

5. This just shows account activity. Green shows that the user is logged on and in his/her city. Grey mean that the city is inactive and could be destroyed if not used within 5 days. Blue means the city can never be destroyed as the user put it onto vacation.

Hope this answers points that the others might not have mentioned.

Speysider

riisen

Postby riisen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Gee, thanks all for your quick and detailed replies. :) I much appreciate it!

I have another one for you...

My palace is level 3, and i´m gathering resources to upgrade. However i´m wondering what would be best:
a. To upgrade my palace (and thereby get more workers).
b. Build a temple, to get the production bonus.

I´m not sure how much the temple bonus really is, so what would you recommend?

Beamup

Postby Beamup » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:30 pm

The temple bonus is 10%. Each blessing lasts 48 hours, and a nome's first blessing costs 150 units of the luxury.

I'd suggest that you look at the other cities in your nome. Are there several others at level 3-4? If so, between the group you can probably get a blessing going and a temple may be worthwhile.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:31 pm

You may want to think of a warehouse. 300 brick max without one. Workers stop producing at that point, but still eat.

Temple bonus is real nice. However you won't notice it as much with a small population. Level 4, 5 or higher may be the time to build the temple.

riisen

Postby riisen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:41 pm

"Beamup" wrote:The temple bonus is 10%. Each blessing lasts 48 hours, and a nome's first blessing costs 150 units of the luxury.

I'd suggest that you look at the other cities in your nome. Are there several others at level 3-4? If so, between the group you can probably get a blessing going and a temple may be worthwhile.

Thanks for the advice. I´ve cheked the other cities, but only one seems to fit the criteria. But just to be sure; you mean that you can share a blessing? Or does the blessing affect the entire nome? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Dedju at Rasebek (90S)

riisen

Postby riisen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks tomnobles.

I´ve already constructed a warehouse, although i seem to use my resources faster than my workers can store them 8-)

abana

Postby abana » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:30 pm

There is only one of your original questions that I feel was incompletely answered, you also need ships to found new cities.

Snefru

Postby Snefru » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:05 pm

for me............the dim............ just to clarify :p

If I construct a temple do I get 10% bonus on everything 24/7 just because I have a temple?

Does that figure increase temporarily if I donate goods to it?

If I give goods to my temple will the rest of the cities in my nome get a temporary bonus too?

Do I donate to someone else's temple too?

Wahat Amunger (193N)
Organised trips to my Wadi Rayan waterfalls east of Lake Qarun by luxury safari jeep, papyrus factory visit NOT included :D

Ain Sokhna (190N)
taking bookings now for Summer season 2009 in my Red Sea Resort Chalets :D

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 pm

"Snefru" wrote:for me............the dim............ just to clarify :p

If I construct a temple do I get 10% bonus on everything 24/7 just because I have a temple?

Does that figure increase temporarily if I donate goods to it?

If I give goods to my temple will the rest of the cities in my nome get a temporary bonus too?

Do I donate to someone else's temple too?

Wahat Amunger (193N)
Organised trips to my Wadi Rayan waterfalls east of Lake Qarun by luxury safari jeep, papyrus factory visit NOT included :D

Ain Sokhna (190N)
taking bookings now for Summer season 2009 in my Red Sea Resort Chalets :D

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

4. You donate via the temple to your nome god. The god in it's munificence will (if the combined efforts of the nome are sufficient - minimum 150 )then bless all cities with a temple in your nome.

Deguakay

Well everytime I do a long winded answer someone beats me to it

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:25 pm

By the way, Riisen, you can rename your city from inside the palace. Djedu is the default name given to every new city, so you might want something more distinctive. :)

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:31 pm

Okay, I´ll explain it again, since it´s difficult to understand without having a temple yet.

As you build a temple, you´ll be able to donate. What luxgood you have to donate will depend on the god of your nome:

Ra: Statues
Set: Cosmetics
Bast: Sandals
Amun: Jewelry
Osiris: Perfume

Everyone in your nome who has a temple can donate, the donations stack. Once you have accumulated 150 goods, the blessing will start. All players in the nome that have a temple (even those who haven´t donated) will get a 10% production bonus for 48 hours.

After that, the blessing stops, and you all can donate again. The required amount for the next blessing is a little higher that the one before, but the amount will drop to 150 again after some time.

Snefru

Postby Snefru » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Thank you both Sakasiru and Deguar :) perfectly explained

riisen

Postby riisen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 pm

And a BIG thanks from me too. :D

I feel really welcome in this forum, and i appreciate it a lot!

Merry christmas all around ;)

freball

Postby freball » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Does the 10% production bonus apply to all production in that city, or just the production of the good associated with the Nomes god?

Return to “General Discussion”