Game interface improvements / GreaseMonkey

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Pegasus Epsilon

Hoo, been a while since I've been around here...

Postby Pegasus Epsilon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:41 am

I keep seeing the scripts downloaded in the server logs, but just in case they'd been forked or something I thought I might come back here and poke the thread and see what's up. Seems they're mostly just running on autopilot now, which is amazing, really, but I digress...

I retired from the game long long ago, in case nobody noticed (I don't recall if I made an announcement here and don't really feel like paging back through the 40-some-odd pages of thread to check), and don't really have the time to keep working on any of this, but more on that below...

I just now added contact information inside ArmEagle's script so that anyone that wants to take over maintenance of it (and has the ability to do so) can find it and talk to me about that. So if you're reading this, and you think you want to rewire something, and think you can figure out how, grab a fresh copy from my server, and email the address contained therein.

Now for the part mentioned above...

"lyrical" wrote:(The Fairtrade script still doesn't work, but I don't miss it so I haven't dug too deeply into why.)

Glossing directly over the fact that you don't miss it...

I just read through the source again and can't find anything that would stop it from working in Safari 4/WebKit/SquirrelFish/SFX/Nitro, but there may be some GreaseKit caveats I'm missing somewhere. If you (or anyone, really) wants to help me suss out the problem, feel free to email me at the address from AE's script. My head hurts when I think about working on AE's script these days, but I wrote FairTrade before I got involved with helping AE (and I created it and advocate its use simply to minimize the ripping off of newbies), and kind of feel obligated to keep it chugging along as long as I can.

...savior and the blessing countdown display, on the other hand...well, let's just say that I'm willing to give those to a new maintainer as well, but the interoperation methodology with AE's script is (for futureproofing reasons) complicated.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 am

Thanks for stopping in, how are the new projects going?
:cool:

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:16 pm

If someone's still supporting this, or wants to pick up the torch after AE and PE, I think we might have a small glitch of some kind. Yesterday, I got a report on the general wall that someone was unable to click on someone's name to open the list of cities for trading purposes. I wrote it off as a random browser malfunction. Those happen! But today, another player shows up with the exact same problem. With the NO GM script enabled, for some people, clicking a player's name on the wall doesn't bring up the list of cities. Seeing as how I'd never heard of this until yesterday, and Firefox recently got an update, I think the two might be related?

Just thought someone oughta know about that. I don't even know if there's a connection between the two, but some people are unable to use the script now because they can't trade as long as it's active.

abana

Postby abana » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I have had this happen, and I have fixed it by progresively logging out, then back in, so,etimes I have had to clse my browser, then reopen. My next step would be to reboot, and lastly to reinstall Firefox.

edit: It just happened to me again, and I found the box at the bottom of the screen, below the debug info
Last edited by abana on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 pm

This looked like a great project, shame that it isn't supported further :(

Pegasus Epsilon

I'm not quite dead yet.

Postby Pegasus Epsilon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:19 am

"PantherX" wrote:Thanks for stopping in, how are the new projects going?

Going just fine, thanks for asking. :)

"Fenehk" wrote:If someone's still supporting this, or wants to pick up the torch after AE and PE, I think we might have a small glitch of some kind. Yesterday, I got a report on the general wall that someone was unable to click on someone's name to open the list of cities for trading purposes. I wrote it off as a random browser malfunction. Those happen! But today, another player shows up with the exact same problem. With the NO GM script enabled, for some people, clicking a player's name on the wall doesn't bring up the list of cities. Seeing as how I'd never heard of this until yesterday, and Firefox recently got an update, I think the two might be related?

Just thought someone oughta know about that. I don't even know if there's a connection between the two, but some people are unable to use the script now because they can't trade as long as it's active.

Talked to you about this already, but for the benefit of everyone else: I had to file this under "unable to reproduce". Fenehk's theory is that it was a bug in a particular version of greasemonkey or Firefox that has since been resolved.

"Homeworld'sa" wrote:This looked like a great project, shame that it isn't supported further :(

I'm never entirely gone. Post a message in this thread and I'll see it eventually. There are also some people that still play this game and know how to get in touch with me relatively quickly.

In other news:

Annoying rendering bug (light grey on white is very hard to read) found in Fairtrade inside Google Chrome (and possibly any webkit-based browser) by me just tonight and concurrently good-enough-workaround-ed.

http://pegasus.pimpninjas.org/nileonline/PE-NO-fairtrade.user.js

Fairtrade v10.04.28.1

I never stop supporting software I've worked on. If you use it, even if you're the only one, you can always request a fix. Sometimes a new feature, but mostly just fixes.

abana

Postby abana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 am

I have been having that happen since it updated, if you scroll to the bottom,the box is there.

Pegasus Epsilon

Postby Pegasus Epsilon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 am

"abana" wrote:I have been having that happen since it updated, if you scroll to the bottom,the box is there.

You're going to have to give me a detailed step-by-step to reproduce the bug. I still don't see any malfunction.

MarijkeAkki

Postby MarijkeAkki » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 am

It happens not always, but when it happened, I had clicked on one of the last three divs at the bottom of the list.
It happens only, when the browser window height is not big enough.
Thanks for the great work.

abana

Postby abana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:49 am

I haven't found a pattern, sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried to find a pattern in the Nome numbers, age/level/rank of the player, world, letter of the name(thinking that somehow some one of those might play a part. Can you suggest any others?

I hadn't noticed about the size of the window. I'll look for that.

Sia-Ra

Postby Sia-Ra » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 am

In the second post of this thread (tthe beginning) there's the download link, but I can't seem to get it to download. I'm getting a 404 not found error.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:39 am

Use the link from the first post, not the second. The location of the download changed when ArmEagle passed things over to Pegasus Epsilon.

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:30 am

I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.6.8 and all my scripts disappeared. Whenever I try to reinstall, I get this:

Script could not be installed TypeError: item is null

The Nile and The West just aren't the same without the GM scripts....sigh.

Going to uninstall/reinstall GM and FF. I sure hope it works!

ArmEagle

Postby ArmEagle » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:29 am

Hi there DustysMomma! I read your cry for help on the other forum :)

I actually have no clue what's going on there. I'm not sure whether reinstalling Firefox will have you start with a new profile.

You could (re)move the profiles manually, but then you'll have to dig into a maze of what's Windows' user files.

Or you could edit the properties of the Firefox launch icon, add " -P" to the "Target" field (then click 'apply' or 'ok'). Then start Firefox using that icon and it will start with the Profile Manager. You can create a new profile there and start with a clean slate (though it's a bit tricky to start the right one by default). Don't forget to edit the icon properties again and remove the " -P" or it will keep opening the Profile Manager.

Here's a tutorial about the Firefox Profile Manager in case you think you could use a bit more information: http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/profile-tutorial/ (The path to the profiles on Windows 7 is "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles"). Since you might want to copy over your bookmarks (and probably your passwords too, but that's a whole lot more tricky).

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 pm

I've been working overtime all week until today (including and only because I worked FIVE hours late last night). In case this comes up again:

I had to uninstall firefox, telling it to uninstall the profile along with it. It couldn't find any sign of greasemonkey, so I reinstalled it and it let me start downloading scripts again.

I'm still missing one I can't seem to find in the other forum, but I think I know who to ask about it.

Thanks!!!

Golden Archer

Script doesn't work with FF

Postby Golden Archer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:46 am

It doesn't work the same way with the newer versions of Firefox for Nile Online. If it does, can anyone please guide me where the latest script is and how to install it?

Thanks

DaveT

Downloading Scripts

Postby DaveT » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:07 am

I recently tried to download the various scripts but found a slight problem. Firefox only seems to allow you to install from userscripts.org.

A search on there brought up the main script by ArmEagle but not the others (Fairtrade, Saviour and Temple Blessing Countdown). I've uploaded those and they can be found here.

Update: Pegasus Epsilon has reinstated all the links on his site and FF will now let you install direct from there. I havent tried any other browsers. Follow the links in the wiki to download the OFFICIAL versions.
Last edited by DaveT on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update

Okti

Userscripts.org

Postby Okti » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Seems like userscripts.org does not exist any more. To use the scripts I know the way from Google chrome and will share it below. I know Google Chrome is available for Linux an even MacOs, but works fine with windows.

1- Just locate and download Tampermonkey script for Chrome first.
2- After you download it you must see Tampermonkey icon next to navigation bar.
3- Download the text file at https://app.box.com/files/0/f/2425149845/1/f_17979864970 to get the script.
4- Click on Tampermonkey icon and select "Add a new script", this step will open an editor, select all the lines over there and delete.
5- Open the text file downloaded at step 3 and click Ctrl-A to select all of it and right click and select copy.
6- Click on Chrome and paste it there and click on save button on the tool bar.

There you go :)
Last edited by Okti on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveT

Postby DaveT » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:25 am

I got a rar archive called Harley from that link Okti.

Although userscripts is down there is a static mirror which has the files for each of the scripts (userscripts-mirror.org).

1. Click the name of the script you want.
  2. Click the Install button in the top right corner.
  3. Use the script.

Repeat steps 1 & 2 for any of the other scripts you want.

Pegasus Epsilon is still maintaining and hosting the scripts but at present the Temple Blessing and Saviour pages are not working.

Okti

Chrome

Postby Okti » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks DaveT,

Posted the wrong link, the link is corrected at the previous post.

Okti

Return to “General Discussion”