Nile Online Wiki

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:21 am

"Agamemnus" wrote:Then you do it... :\

In summary:

* Give me locking privileges, please..
* Add parserfunctions mod, please..

:)

Sure.

It can't just be for one person. Wiki's aren't democracies, but they aren't despotisms either.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 am

"Amun Nefer" wrote:Sure.

It can't just be for one person. Wiki's aren't democracies, but they aren't despotisms either.

Are you asking for locking privileges, too? Just say so, then. :)

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:52 am

I don't know if I'd wanted that kind of power.

Remember, the people need to be IM-PAR-TIAL.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:Then you do it... :\

In summary:

* Give me locking privileges, please..
* Add parserfunctions mod, please..

So, you want to be able to run scripts on our machines, lock us out from editing, and be sure we all know you have this power? *raised eyebrow*

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 pm

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:So, you want to be able to run scripts on our machines, lock us out from editing, and be sure we all know you have this power? *raised eyebrow*

No... :rolleyes:

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Look, Aga, you did a fine piece of work on the Wiki. You put a lot of energy into what you do, and you do things well. It's just a tiny bit insulting, the way you make it clear that you think none of the rest of us should be allowed to add in any way to something you have done. You won't lose any credit, truly you won't, by letting the rest of the community contribute to what is supposed to be a community project.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:53 pm

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:Look, Aga, you did a fine piece of work on the Wiki. You put a lot of energy into what you do, and you do things well. It's just a tiny bit insulting, the way you make it clear that you think none of the rest of us should be allowed to add in any way to something you have done. You won't lose any credit, truly you won't, by letting the rest of the community contribute to what is supposed to be a community project.

I already said "no" to your question, and you're carrying on..

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:58 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:I already said "no" to your question, and you're carrying on..

What you said was "No ... :rolleyes: " which is somewhat different. And yes, I carried on. You crave credit, I give you that. I've pimped what is essentially your wiki in other threads. Asking to be put in charge of locking out the rest of the group, however, is a bit much, don't you think? ;)

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:04 pm

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:What you said was "No ... :rolleyes: " which is somewhat different. And yes, I carried on. You crave credit, I give you that. I've pimped what is essentially your wiki in other threads. Asking to be put in charge of locking out the rest of the group, however, is a bit much, don't you think? ;)

That's because you jumped in the conversation without knowing what scripting meant in this context, and wildly jumping to conclusions.

"It's just a tiny bit insulting, the way you make it clear that you think none of the rest of us should be allowed to add in any way to something you have done."

ETC.

And when did I say that?

I want to be able to lock template pages, and perhaps other pages -- is what I said. I didn't say I want to lock everyone out of editing anything at all.

Last edited by Agamemnus on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrazNomar

Postby BrazNomar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:32 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:This sort of thing doesn't work in a low-volume wiki.

Sorry, but if a site with millions of users as Wikipedia assumes good faith (at least on most of their pages), how come a wiki with a few users shouldn't? It's the exactly opposite way for me: smaller community, more trust.

I agree that templates should be locked at some point, though maybe it's too early to do that now. Scripting doesn't sound bad, but there could be some problems in the future - I don't know much about it to be sure, really.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 pm

"BrazNomar" wrote:Sorry, but if a site with millions of users as Wikipedia assumes good faith (at least on most of their pages), how come a wiki with a few users shouldn't?

They also have a lot of people dedicated towards checking Wikipedia for vandalism, (--and they have locks on many pages--) and it doesn't serve as a manual of life. Here, the wiki is a substitute for a manual. It's a manual to game that has children playing it.

Additionally, I think a 24hr time-delayed fixed version should be the one linked to from the game, for this reason.
Last edited by Agamemnus on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reed

Postby Reed » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:30 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:Reed, is it possible to set up the "parserfunctions" module, too? :)

Can you give me a couple examples of what it'd be used for?

neferseti

Postby neferseti » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 pm

Nobody is going to "use the wiki" to play the game, which is easily learned over the course of clicking through the site and using the primer and then, if anything, the spreadsheets. When people first log onto a new game, they want to play, they don't want to read a wiki about it, so I seriously doubt there will be children flocking to it.

darrentorpey

"Upgrade costs" page updated

Postby darrentorpey » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:48 pm

I've updated the Upgrade costs page to have most of the information that was in the spreadsheet that was linked on the page:

http://www.immortalcities.com/nileonline/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_costs

The format looks pretty good, too (thanks, Ag). This is probably one of our most important pages as it's the most obvious reason why people will go to the wiki.

It's also a pretty good example of how to use templates for information (like tables) that are likely to appear on multiple pages. This avoids repeating the same info (which is bad to do) and helps separate the editing (and, indeed, the locking-down, if/when needed) of this kind of information.

(and it makes the page's source much easier to read)

Nighteyes

Postby Nighteyes » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Hey aga, all that you would have to do is send Reed a message, asking him to please lock a page, Reed looks at it and says yes this needs locking, and locks it.
Also the point about Vandalism would only work if the whole site was locked, else they would still login and stuff up unlocked stuff.

PS. Sandra is reading your posts the same way that I am. Aga, your 'no ... :rolleyes: ' does imply that the no was sarcastic.
If you don't want to be misunderstood then your not writing in the best way, cause your 'give me locking' really doesn't sound nice and seems excluding. I not trying to say that I think what you've done isn't excellent, much of it is, you improved some layout of stuff I put up, you know a lot more about wiki's that can really improve them, but the way that I'm hearing it is that this is almost going to your head and therefore you think that you deserve the power to do more. So thanks for helping with the wiki, please continue to do so, but please leave up on the 'give me more' stance. Leave it to Reed let him decide. (Suppose this needs an /end rant)

Reed if you do end up allowing people to lock pages then at least give everyone the option, most people wouldn't alter a template unless they could see that it was wrong and needed updating.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:54 pm

"Reed" wrote:Can you give me a couple examples of what it'd be used for?

Firstly, the some templates, like the "main" template, is only partially implemented (AFAIK) because one can't use #if and such.

Secondly, I want to cycle the god displayed on the right on this page: http://www.immortalcities.com/nileonline/wiki/index.php/Gods ...between all the gods depending on system time.

Bradius

Postby Bradius » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 am

In looking at the wiki, I have a suggested edit change (noted in red):

How to Found a New City
If a player has enough resources in his or her capital city, he or she may place a city on an empty resource tile in any nome in the game world by clicking that tile and then clicking the "Found City" button. After twelve (12) hours, that city will be available for the player to build in and will have the special resource the player chose earlier.

TM plans 5 cities per player as a maximum. The current maximum is 4 cities.

Note: One cannot undo or cancel founding a new city.

I just make the addition because some might think that if they have the goods combined in all cities that they can found a new city and that is not the case. Not sure who might think that though :rolleyes: ....

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 am

"Bradius" wrote:In looking at the wiki, I have a suggested edit change (noted in red):

Good point... changed it for you.

rogoona

Spam in Wiki

Postby rogoona » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Just reporting spam in the wiki. Several insertions from a Samis.

Great job otherwise.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:49 pm

"rogoona" wrote:Just reporting spam in the wiki. Several insertions from a Samis.

Great job otherwise.

Lol, you know if you see spam, you should take it out. I took it out though.

Edit: I just looked through the entire wiki, took 3 minutes. No other problems. Also proves how easy it is to check over the whole thing.
Last edited by Amun Nefer on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”