Who is on top of the Keyboard? (The pet thread! =D)

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Elizabethus

Postby Elizabethus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 am

Eddie is very aware! Lovely dog.
I am going to get Skye to round up my "chooks" and I will take a picture of them. Yes like Caesar Clifford does in New Zealand, here in Australia we also call chickens/roosters, Chooks!
Last edited by Elizabethus on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:03 pm

"Elizabethus" wrote:Eddie is very aware! Lovely dog.
I am going to get Skye to round up my "chooks" and I will take a picture of them. Yes like Caesar Clifford does in New Zealand, here in Australia we also call chickens/roosters, Chooks!

I am just sooo in love with that name, 'chook, chook, here chookie!'........ :D Why do we Americans always come up with such bland names for everything?? :rolleyes: I mean your towns and cities all have such great and interesting (and sometimes unpronounceable) names while most of ours are named after people, of all things.. I think one of the reasons 'The Lord of the Rings' was so popular, besides the great storyline, was Tolkien's use of such delightful names for Middle Earth.. And then there's the whole Elvish language he came up with.. ;)
Don't everyone here in the US jump on me about this, I'm sure every state in the Union has some unique and unusual place names, but when you look at a map of New Zealand and Australia, we can't touch them for wonderful names.. :D

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:49 pm

We do have a lot of place names in the US based on Indian words. Chicago comes to mind as a rather prominent one. :)

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Manhattan comes from Mannahat (sp?) meaning hilly for instance, as do many state names.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 pm

Now, now, I agree, I said each state has some great and unique names but NOTHING can compare to names like Queanbeyan, Parramatta, wollongong, Toowoomba and Kookaburra.. The capitol of Idaho is Boise (pronounced boy-zee, not boys), it's french for city of trees.. And Idaho has a lot of other neat names, like Yellow Jacket, Lead Ore, Blue Mountain and Lemhi, but I just think the Aussies did it right when they kept so many of the Aborigine names instead of changing them over to some guy's name like Smith or Jones.. Ever notice how few cities are named after women? :rolleyes:

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 pm

LOL, many of our names are either English or Maori which is as it should be.

Some names of towns and villages in Taranaki where I live include

English ; New Plymouth, Eltham, Stratford, Inglewood, Waverley, Egmont Village.

Maori ; Hawera, Kaponga, Manaia, Opunake, Toko, Patea, Rahotu, Warea, Parihaka, Mokau, Okaiawa, Waitara.

Just a few.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 pm

"Caesar Clifford" wrote:LOL, many of our names are either English or Maori which is as it should be.

Some names of towns and villages in Taranaki where I live include

English ; New Plymouth, Eltham, Stratford, Inglewood, Waverley, Egmont Village.

Maori ; Hawera, Kaponga, Manaia, Opunake, Toko, Patea, Rahotu, Warea, Parihaka, Mokau, Okaiawa, Waitara.

Just a few.

Damn, I love them! And England too, has some great names, like Stratford-on-Avon, Nottinghamshire (I just love that one), Essex and Winchcombe.. What happened? Did all the pilgrims decide when they got here, that all the towns should be named after the most simplistic ones they could think of? LOL! Just joking, all, America has some very fun and unique places names, like Lake Okeechobee and Kissimmee down in Florida.. We even have one of the most delightful names for a town here in Idaho, Picabo, which is pronounced peek-a-boo.. The famous skier, Picabo Street, was named after this town.. So see, America has lots of wonderful names too.. Just not as unusual or, to me, lyrical as some other countries.. ;)

And just as a side note, I just wrote a great poem, call 'The Maori'.. Interesting coincidence, think.. :D

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 am

I think one of the reasons 'The Lord of the Rings' was so popular, besides the great storyline, was Tolkien's use of such delightful names for Middle Earth.. And then there's the whole Elvish language he came up with..

It was the scenery, everyone knows that. ;)

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:41 am

I think they're referring to the novels, lol.

Now to dehijackify my thread. Come on people, pet picks. this site isn't anywhere near cute enough yet.

BLU3Y3Z

Postby BLU3Y3Z » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 am

"Amun Nefer" wrote:I think they're referring to the novels, lol.

Now to dehijackify my thread. Come on people, pet picks. this site isn't anywhere near cute enough yet.

My brother just got a baby pitbull :D

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:09 pm

"BLU3Y3Z" wrote:My brother just got a baby pitbull :D

Now that sounds adorable, post a pic when you get one.

Teryk

Postby Teryk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Anubis is watching you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 pm

"Caesar Clifford" wrote:It was the scenery, everyone knows that. ;)

No mistake there, Hon.. New Zealand has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, LOTRs proved that beyond any doubt.. ;) But, I have to ask, did the forest scenes take place there too or were they are done in studio? I mean Fang Horn and Lothlorien were just stunning, but I can't imagine very many places left on earth that have woods like those.. :p

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:27 pm

"Teryk" wrote:Anubis is watching you

OMG! He IS!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:13 pm

But, I have to ask, did the forest scenes take place there too or were they are done in studio? I mean Fang Horn and Lothlorien were just stunning, but I can't imagine very many places left on earth that have woods like those.

LOL, half the country looks like that. Even my small farm looks a bit like a LOTR set in places.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:52 pm

"Caesar Clifford" wrote:LOL, half the country looks like that. Even my small farm looks a bit like a LOTR set in places.

Damn, it must be almost eerie to live in a land whose geography is described in so much detail in Tolkien's books.. I read his bio a long time ago, but I don't remember him ever visiting New Zealand and yet, he might have actually lived there, his descriptions are so accurate.. :)

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Lol, alright, come on people, back on topic =p

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:31 pm

"Teryk" wrote:Anubis is watching you

Lol, aww, what an adorable little doggy...

MoonHeart

Postby MoonHeart » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:55 am

Here is my pet Sophie ( A German shepherd, chao , wolf and blue heeler mix......aka My blue German chao wolf.) and my other dog Bullet ( a black and white springer spaniel.)

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:21 am

"MoonHeart" wrote:Here is my pet Sophie ( A German shepherd, chao , wolf and blue heeler mix......aka My blue German chao wolf.) and my other dog Bullet ( a black and white springer spaniel.)

Sophie looks like she's enjoying a nice nap in the sunshine.. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”