Reports from the front - Bandit Outposts

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
joshofet

Postby joshofet » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 pm

These numbers are huge indeed, and I agree, no fun. How could the feature be made more interesting? Less and smaller invasions?

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:41 pm

"joshofet" wrote:These numbers are huge indeed, and I agree, no fun. How could the feature be made more interesting? Less and smaller invasions?

I do not agree that large numbers are not fun. They simply are.
Automatic sending of soldiers would make this event better.

Cazy

Postby Cazy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:19 pm

"Agamemnus" wrote:Automatic sending of soldiers would make this event better.

And a bigger return rate.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:26 pm

I don't care how large the return rate becomes, it's no fun for me to spend all my time making soldiers. I could become wealthier by playing the markets, and I don't. I like to make goods, build my cities, and trade with my friends so they can build their cities. I can't do that if all my discretionary labor is tied up in making soldiers 24/7.

Sending the soldiers automatically would negate the need to log in once an hour to send the soldiers, but then there would seldom be reason to log in at all. The game would be reduced to setting up a steady-state of making soldiers and sending them to the next bandit camp.

As a stimulus for the sales of military materials, driven by the profit from completing the event, this works. As an outlet for those who want to play soldiers, this works. It just doesn't work for me, more than once, or three times I suppose I should say since my eight-day marathon actually involved three nomes.

I do have to point out that it was still better than the trader event, where I paid through the nose for a 48-hour stele. :p

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 am

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:I can't do that if all my discretionary labor is tied up in making soldiers 24/7.

You don't need to make soldiers...

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:10 am

"Agamemnus" wrote:You don't need to make soldiers...

If one is to participate in the bandit event, one must make soldiers. One cannot buy them at the market. :rolleyes:

Rothuko

Postby Rothuko » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:02 am

And collectively ignoring them may yet have a penalty.

I'm pretty oriented towards short-term goals *cough* cedar *cough* and I was the leading donor in all our bandit events, and I have cities on cedar and bronze...

Even so, the thing felt like a chore. Dusting off the mouldering cedar plot, upgrading all three barracks in three cities (probably the most annoying part), and shuffling soldiers around from city to monument to city - the pace of everything was just so different that gaining the lux items for several upgrades still didn't feel worth the effort.

If there is a penalty the way the event is structured now, and assuming the <1 week limit, it feels like a lot of players may drop the game at that point because there's such an abrupt reorientation of focus required.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 am

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:If one is to participate in the bandit event, one must make soldiers. One cannot buy them at the market. :rolleyes:

Yes, but you don't need to make soldiers. You don't like the bandit event, OK. That doesn't mean others don't.

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 am

Yay, they finally disappeared!

You helped defeat the bandit outposts in Osirished! You've been awarded 400 [bread] , 60 [sandals] , 60 [sculpture] , 60 [cosmetics] , 60 [perfume] , 60 [jewelry] at Foxyrhynchus! [01/20 @ 8:40 pm]

400 bread and 60 of each lux for 100 spearmen sent.
And it only took 12 days for the nome to manage!
Worth the materials spent, perhaps, but not worth the wait...

Something needs to be done, I think, to make this event more interesting. A lot of people are already getting tired of sending soldiers and getting a couple luxury in return, and if the bandits start doing nasty things it'll be a poke in the guts for those who still don't wish to focus heavily on armies...

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:04 am

"Agamemnus" wrote:Yes, but you don't need to make soldiers. You don't like the bandit event, OK. That doesn't mean others don't.

If Reed does not want feedback from all the players, he can say so himself. If he has a problem with the tone or the content of my feedback, he can tell me so himself. Until then, I have as much right to post my opinion as you. So do all the people who agree with you, and all the ones who don't agree with either one of us.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:11 am

"sandra linkletter" wrote:if reed does not want feedback from all the players, he can say so himself. If he has a problem with the tone or the content of my feedback, he can tell me so himself. Until then, i have as much right to post my opinion as you. So do all the people who agree with you, and all the ones who don't agree with either one of us.

Ok.

Edit:
It's just that it sounded like you wanted to participate in the bandit event, but don't like how it works currently. If so, what do you suggest, other than lowering the amount of units required (won't change anything) ?
Last edited by Agamemnus on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ramiz
Location: Theoris » Osirisxeru (87N) » Inferno /// Bosnia and Herzegovina » Sarajevo

Postby Ramiz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 am

"Agamemnus" wrote:Ok.

lowering the amount of units required (won't change anything) ?

Agreed totally. If someone does not want to participate in certain event because he or she does not want to or does not have required resources nobody forces him or her to do it. Bandits camp is an excellent opportunity to earn a lot of bread and lux goods, so I never miss one. So I say bring it on! Especially since there is no penalty for the production of the cities/monuments.

I am waiting for the event to finish, should be done in a couple of hours so I will post the numbers.

P.S. Only thing I would like to see is the screen showing final numbers when the event is finished, it would ease up the things, so for now we have to use papyrus scroll.
Last edited by Ramiz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mootant

Postby mootant » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 am

Maybe the bandit cities should start raiding and lower production while they are up. That way players that do not contribute etc will mean the entire nome suffers for longer. If you do contribute, the chances of being raided become lower.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:14 pm

So you make the game more aggressive to force the players to do something they don't want? Reed asked what players would like the bandits to do, I guess he has his answer.

At the moment the raiders can be fully ignored, so nobody is forced into reacting, as Aga says. Your nome members may start nagging, that is part of the game. Even if they don't nag, and you see them struggling and not meeting the quota, you might be tempted to jump in. Your choice.

Still I have the question what happens if you don't fully ignore them, but just fill in say 60% of the quota. Do they eventually leave, take your soldiers and leave you empty-handed, or do they just wait peacefully till you finally defeat them? So far evidence is for the latter of the two, has anybody seen them leave without being defeated?

Ramiz
Location: Theoris » Osirisxeru (87N) » Inferno /// Bosnia and Herzegovina » Sarajevo

Postby Ramiz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 pm

I have different idea. Maybe if they are not defetead in the required period of time, their number slowly increases. This will certainly make things more interesting. And here are the numbers of Amunheker 104 S :

Ramiz sent : 429 s 403 a 232 c

Required : spearmen 840, archers 840, charioteers 420.

Reward : 5184 [bread] , 778 [sandals] , 778 [sculpture] , 778 [cosmetics] ,
778 [perfume] , 778 [jewelry].

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 pm

"Ramiz" wrote:I have different idea. Maybe if they are not defetead in the required period of time, their number slowly increases. This will certainly make things more interesting. And here are the numbers of Amunheker 104 S :

I could see a pacifist nome would eventually have an entire horde of invaders. They can then invite a non-pacifist to come in and defeat them for the fun of it (and unless the rewards also went up, it would have to be for the "fun" because there would be no profit left in it). :p

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 pm

How would that make it more interesting? It took 12 whole days for my second city's nome to muster up enough soldiers to get rid of the bandits! I thought it was fun at first. Until I ran out of bronze and jewelry to trade for bronze. Then I decided to let the others do the rest while I tended to my cities. After the first three days or so, I wished it'd just be over with already. Getting a reward 12 days after you invested resources in it is a very, very long wait. If the bandits' numbers increased it'd have been even longer. Maybe three weeks even.

Ramiz

Postby Ramiz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm

"GaSplat" wrote:I could see a pacifist nome would eventually have an entire horde of invaders. They can then invite a non-pacifist to come in and defeat them for the fun of it (and unless the rewards also went up, it would have to be for the "fun" because there would be no profit left in it). :p

Exactly my point. To the victor goes the spoils.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:00 pm

"Rothuko" wrote:Even so, the thing felt like a chore. Dusting off the mouldering cedar plot, upgrading all three barracks in three cities (probably the most annoying part), and shuffling soldiers around from city to monument to city - the pace of everything was just so different that gaining the lux items for several upgrades still didn't feel worth the effort.
:) You don't need to shift soldiers from city to monument to city. You can send them from any of your cities to a different nome. From the city with soldiers, just click on your name at the top to bring up the window that show your cities and monuments. Then click on the city in the nome under "attack". This will bring up the nome map and you can click on the bandit event to send troops directly. No transfer required. :)

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Now that's a handy trick. Ach! and to think of the time I wasted building barracks in my other city.

Return to “General Discussion”