If you wanna make top 100 you gotta have...

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
riisen

If you wanna make top 100 you gotta have...

Postby riisen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Out of simple curiosity i looked at the top 100 players and their starting ressources (in their first city). Then i counted each different ressource to see, how the different ressources was presented in the top 100. Well, the results are:

Leather: 17
Oil: 16
Henna: 16
Kohl: 13
Cedar: 12
Emeralds: 11
Bronze: 8
Gold: 7

I´m a bit surprised to see, that leather scored that high and that bronze & gold that low.

Any comments?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Howdy, riisen!

A rank is equal to the sum of its parts. You cannot draw conclusions from starting resource.

Immortal Jaguar

Postby Immortal Jaguar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:47 pm

"riisen" wrote:Any comments?

Maybe the leather producing Pharaohs just know how to have more fun? ;)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
~Missy Dizick

Hottenshot

Top 100

Postby Hottenshot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 pm

I started with Kohl and saw right away this put me at a disadvantage (at least I thought so) so i worked as fast as i could to get a second city (henna) so i could make a lux by myself. While one of my early trading partners had gold and seemed to pull away from me. Then i made my third a oil city and I had the means for making everything for two lux.That early trading partner has not gone into the top 100. Why I don't know. Now i have every kind of shop. When something is cheap or i can trade for it I do that when not I make it. Bronze and gold make kinds of lux that are needed later in the game so maybe accounts for slow starts. Also I made the top 100 by hard work and allot of shipping back and forth between city's

riisen

Postby riisen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:54 pm

"Immortal Jaguar" wrote:Maybe the leather producing Pharaohs just know how to have more fun? ;)

LOL ;)

Or make their workers work harder

riisen

Postby riisen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Howdy, riisen!

A rank is equal to the sum of its parts. You cannot draw conclusions from starting resource.

Well, point taken. ;)

However it is interresting, for instance, that 17 of the top 100 players started out making leather. Does it mean that leather has an advantage over the other ressources? That question is impossible to answer, because as you put it "A rank is equal to the sum of its parts. ".

However imagine, that 50 of the top 100 players started out on leather. That would not only be interesting, but point to a POTENTIAL unbalance.

Being a cedar builder myself, i´m rather comforted, that other cedar players actually faired rather well.

Lendi

Postby Lendi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

"Hottenshot" wrote:I started with Kohl and saw right away this put me at a disadvantage (at least I thought so) so i worked as fast as i could to get a second city (henna) so i could make a lux by myself. While one of my early trading partners had gold and seemed to pull away from me. Then i made my third a oil city and I had the means for making everything for two lux.That early trading partner has not gone into the top 100. Why I don't know. Now i have every kind of shop. When something is cheap or i can trade for it I do that when not I make it. Bronze and gold make kinds of lux that are needed later in the game so maybe accounts for slow starts. Also I made the top 100 by hard work and allot of shipping back and forth between city's

And well deserved too, Hot! I've seen on the Wall how you've helped newbies, myself included.. You've earned a top spot! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deadlock

Postby deadlock » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 pm

I think a look at the 2nd cities might give more clues in terms of the strategies used by these players.

MaxBeta

Postby MaxBeta » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Interesting to ponder exactly what has made any player achieve their respective game successes.

Great statement here:

Maybe the leather producing Pharaohs just know how to have more fun?

I noticed this because, I started with Leather (pre-military time) and thought Mm? OK I'll just be content to make Sandals..and my Sandals have been sent all over the NO game realm. Early on I couldn't get enough Cedar..so made that my 2nd City and there were times I regretted it.. but the enjoyment of "gifting" new players Cedar for those first ships made up for those early doubts that I'd made a BIG mistake. Soon I found it difficult to Buy Sculpture so for my 3rd City I jump on a Bronze site. THEN NO implimented its Miltary...and here I am with 3 Cities totally perfect for all the requirements. Strange as it may sound I never had build even ONE military barracks until the Nome bandit Event were created.. since it was a "community" thing I felt compelled to do my share. I still have distaste for fighting another player over a Monument plot..so buy my limestone at the Market. I can live with a "monumentless" game because it would force me to do something I do not enjoy in my game play..and I accept that.

If Ranking were split to the different styles of play fine..I personally don't think it is necessary. No matter how the game is deployed I find some way to play the part that I enjoy most..as I suspect other player will do likewise. :)

shasamrat
Location: chandi and srina of Osirisant (116S), dibru of Bastreffer (115S), koopa of Bastkhai (106S)

Postby shasamrat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:53 am

"deadlock" wrote:I think a look at the 2nd cities might give more clues in terms of the strategies used by these players.

I think deadlock's got it. Their starting resources was their lot in life, but the resources they chose indicate much more about their strategy and goals.

Terranova9
Location: near Boston MA USA/aka RastaFari - THEORIS- Basttti (34N) » Samsara ///SABAH - 147S/148S/149S

Postby Terranova9 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 am

" Immortal Jaguar wrote:Maybe the leather producing Pharaohs just know how to have more fun?

riisen" wrote:LOL ;)

Or make their workers work harder

Its the leather whips

Terranova9
Location: near Boston MA USA/aka RastaFari - THEORIS- Basttti (34N) » Samsara ///SABAH - 147S/148S/149S

Postby Terranova9 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:01 am

"deadlock" wrote:I think a look at the 2nd cities might give more clues in terms of the strategies used by these players.

Definitely agreed.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:12 am

As far as the top 100 goes it's how much you want it that makes or breaks up. If you just love getting a high rank then you will get there no matter what goods you start with. My highest ranking last time was 61 and I started with Cedar. Then went Henna and Gold.

At the moment if you have 4 cities you should be a shoe in for a top 100 spot. I think only about 35-40 players have a 4th city so far.

It's just an individual thing. I would say maybe half the top 100 players have left the game as well. That promotes new players up the list. Players come and go. If you play long enough and you are striving for a top 100 spot you will get it.

And with you getting to choose your 2nd,3rd and 4th cities the first one doesn't matter as much as does your desire. Still think Cedar is hard but maybe its better now there ship losses and military.

Anubis Meats

Postby Anubis Meats » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:53 am

The situation for Cedar has greatly improved now that there is effectively a means by which military goods can be converted into luxury goods at a profit without requiring trade. The ability to raise a large army without having to rely on others also facilitates people getting and keeping monuments, which feeds back into the production required to crack that top 100.

That said, I'm proud of my #1344 ranking considering I started quite a bit later than most of the leaders and I don't min/max or otherwise put too much thought into the nitty-gritty details. I play when I'm online---I don't worry about it when I don't, so I'd be happy if my ultimate destination was more like "top 500" than "top 100".

riisen

Postby riisen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:27 am

Well, i´ve counted the second city ressource, as some folks have stated that they wanted to see these numbers. Here goes:

Bronze: 26
Henna: 23
Gold: 19
Leather: 11
Cedar: 8
Emeralds: 6
Kohl: 6
Oil: 1

Hmmm. Oil dosen´t seem to be quite popular, whereas bronze & henna make up for nearly half of the second cities ressources.

As a sidenote: I made the 2. city count today, whereas i made the 1. city count yesterday, so you can´t read those two together, due to shifts in the top 100. this time I have however counted both 1. & 2. city this time, so if anybody is interested, I can post those numbers as well (but it´s a rather long list...)

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 am

Just looking at the top 100 list and the difference between number 2 and number 3 players at present.

2 has 3 x L15 and 1 x L12 cities and 2 x L5 monuments, Total of 67 Levels

3 has 1 x L20, 2 x L19, 1 x L13 and 2 x L5 monuments, Total of 81 Levels

And there are lots of other players with higher Level totals than number 2 ranked player. Lots of other things must come into it but I thought it was interesting.

deadlock

Postby deadlock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 am

"Caesar Clifford" wrote:Just looking at the top 100 list and the difference between number 2 and number 3 players at present.

2 has 3 x L15 and 1 x L12 cities and 2 x L5 monuments, Total of 67 Levels

3 has 1 x L20, 2 x L19, 1 x L13 and 2 x L5 monuments, Total of 81 Levels

And there are lots of other players with higher Level totals than number 2 ranked player. Lots of other things must come into it but I thought it was interesting.

Hey, that's me! :)

My rank jumped from around 20s to #2 - #3 after the last change with the ranking algorithm. I think it's because I didn't just upgrade my palaces as soon as I could get the materials, I upgraded everything in my city. I never have idle workers, I don't upgrade my palaces unless I need the new workers.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 am

Ranking is still vague, my guess is bread pays a (much too) large role in it. When I sleep my market sales drive me up a few places, then when I start buying stuff and investing in upgrades, it goes down again. It's about dough. ;)

More interesting than raw lux mat type of the capital, I would expect the Empire Birthdate to be, my guess is they will be in a rather narrow range about Nov 1, 2008.

Edit: These are the current top ten:
Kuuchan November 2nd 2008
deadlock October 26th 2008
Agamemnus October 30th 2008
Skyreen October 26th 2008
JuliaSet October 26th 2008
Inkatra November 2nd 2008
Broney October 28th 2008
RenegadeRedHead October 26th 2008
josemas October 30th 2008
Go2King November 2nd 2008
Last edited by joshofet on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: included top ten data

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am

As near as I can make it out, donations to the temple, possibly city level, and how much of each type of luxury raw material and finished luxury goods you have in your city come into play. Having a monument helps.

I currently have two level 16 cities, and a level 9 city I'm getting ready to upgrade to level 10. Many of my cities' buildings are upgraded to levels between 9 through 18. I'm among the top temple donors in two cities and just starting to donate in my 3rd city. I own two monuments.

I have yet to rank higher than 128. I'm currently somewhere down around 223 or so. I don't tend to stock large quantities of luxury goods except when preparing for a palace upgrade. When I do, my ranking seems to climb up a 10-12 notches. When the items are expended in the upgrade my ranking drops again.

I'm sure there are some other intangable items involved that I haven't mentioned.

Leperous

Postby Leperous » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

Your analysis is seriously flawed as you only looked at a snapshot.

The top 100 is quite volatile: people can fluctuate around the 100-mark, and others keep rising and then completely drop out when they found a 4th city. I wonder how different your number will be today, or tomorrow, etc.

Plus, a lot of people who are constantly there will be making bread either from selling goods that they traded for with other players, or they just make a lot of bread in bakeries.

Having said that it would be interesting if you looked at these figures every day and plotted them on Google spreadsheets :)

Return to “General Discussion”