Nile Online vs Ikariam

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Nile Online vs Ikariam

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri May 01, 2009 2:24 am

So I started playing Ikariam yesterday with a few of the newcomers plus one of the weirdo betas ( :p ). I found a few things that NO has and that IK has. Good and bad.

NO has:

Egypt theme ++

Good discussion rooms +++

Reed ++

Reasonable rules +

PvP only through monuments -

No Research -- (I think this is the biggest thing missing from NO right now)

Ships needed for trade + (makes sense completely)

Has Caesarion +

JuliaSet too :) +++

General Wall Sharks ++++++++

IK has:

Roman theme ++

No interaction between players except through messaging --- (I can't siphon the nice ones off and get them to come here. :( )

Bloody strange developer (calls himself the "Love-ministrator" and has carebears everywhere O.o) -

VERY strict rules --

Your cities can be attacked! - :eek:

Good research system ++

Reliance on ships for most interaction -

Lack of Caesarion -

No JuliaSet :( ---

NO Alliance +++

A Note: Ikariam is clearly for profit and probably not one of those open source things so how do they have a .org ending? :eek:

Anyone else care to add or give their opinions?
Last edited by Amun Nefer on Wed May 06, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri May 01, 2009 5:11 am

No comments? Wow...

Wow, look at this, so many bans on their forum. Sheesh talk about strict!

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 am

The only thing I know about it is what you have told me. :rolleyes:

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri May 01, 2009 5:43 am

Yeah but some people have played it or are playing it. ;p

Niempie

Postby Niempie » Fri May 01, 2009 3:19 pm

I have played Ikariam for a while, must be about a year ago...
But I lost interest in it very quickly.. maybe because of the lack of chatrooms and contact with other players.

Aetheric

Postby Aetheric » Fri May 01, 2009 4:11 pm

I've been curious about Ikariam and Travian. They seem similar to NO. I wonder if they had an influence in NO's design? I was considering trying them out, but I'm not especially interested in the warfare aspect of them.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Travian is very war orientated. If you join a good alliance you can chat with alot of nice people. But most are like, ZOMG ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!

I played Ikariam too. I don't like the resource balance, If you start on Sulpher it's an uphill battle.

Also, if you have a research tree it must actually serve a purpose and not just be there because.

PvP through cities, well you deal with it as long as you can hide things in crannies or warehouses and have defense bonuses.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 pm

I've never tried Travian. Lol, what precisely does ZOMG mean? I know it's a play on OMG.

I'm on Crystal, I think it would have been best to start on stone though. :(

It could here. Would require a lot of work though probably. I mean connecting many aspects of the game to it, you know?

I've been raiding lvl 1 inactives. I figure they just quit playing and won't mind. :D

One thing I notice is that the atmosphere looks more bright and happy than in NO. However the IK's rules are set up and the board is run such a way that it seems very oppressive. :( (very generous with bans)

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Fri May 01, 2009 6:29 pm

I'm playing Ikariam too. But it doesn't draw me to the game much like NO. Logging on once or twice a week just to feed wine to my people.

The background color is too bright for my eyes. That's another reason I don't like the game like I do with NO.

And too many more things what make me not getting hooked to the game, but not enough energy to continue typing :D

markedisonchua
Location: Chemaphy Slaying Problem Market and Cyberwarface Office

Postby markedisonchua » Sat May 02, 2009 2:25 am

By 0.3.1 > YOu are dead Amun > Your town can be occupied with 10%+ upkeep
More fearsome than travian

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sat May 02, 2009 3:50 am

10% Upkeep? O.O!!!!!

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 pm

We've started an alliance (headed by darlingBri) on Ikariam. We're going to use it to recruit players for Nile Online. :D

Siptah
Location: Fürth, Germany | Immortal in Sabah | as Men Maat Ra in Sabah & Theoris now

Postby Siptah » Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 am

"Amun Nefer" wrote:
NO has:
PvP only through monuments -

IK has:
Your cities can be attacked! - :eek:

makes me wonder what kind of military gets a "+" from you or even a "++". And don't tell me it would be "no military / PvP at all", i don't believe you tick that way. Acceptable would be PvP only on mutual agreement up front. But NO has that kind of thing... so it can't be that ^^
by that i really wish that bandits would start attacking your monuments or give you any penalty when in your nome - it would spice up things a lot. Maybe we will get that with quests soon

I like it that NO has not too much rules and does scammers don't get punished for example. It makes it feel much better than "you are not allowed to scam or get banned" it brings much more life (but no one keeps scamming these days, right ? )

by the way i don't think ikariam has a roman theme. it is not historical anyway but i would say the way my soldiers and people look ( as are the buildings but since the romans liked to copy culture anyway....) i would call it greek ;-)

the research part is defintely fun in Ikariam and has been suggested often here. i still hope for it (might require a reset though)

you can get a .org ending for anything, i had a private homepage once with a .org ending - it is not reserved for anything as far as i know

and i like that it requires ships to transport troops in ikariam - it could be that way in NO too.. like 20 soldiers or 10 chariots can be on one ship and you need it when attacking a monument that is not on your nile side or outside the nome. it would also reduce the superior chariots a bit then.

what i really liked in NO was that we were close to the developpers (or felt close ;-) ) during Beta and the great community with all those great people. (hence the chat room in NO gets more than 3 + ;-) )

as a little conclusion for me: i will stay with NO as long as like the community and the game (both) and yes, i still like the game after 6 months and i also log on to check my cities without chatting ;-) i think it is the game that fits better to me but i wish it had some new stuff coming in the late game. ikariam manages to do that with research - you can't build everything in a week. but i haven't played that long enough to know for sure how long it keeps throwing new stuff at me. i guess in a few weeks what will keep me playing ikariam is the alliance and what's going on with it (still hope for wars ;) )and not the game that much, since i looked through the wiki and found in what it ends (still that is just a shot in the dark)
Last edited by Siptah on Tue May 05, 2009 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

darlingBri

Postby darlingBri » Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm

I started playing IK to fill in time on NO. With a 24 hour upgrade, there isn't a lot to do on NO besides throw bread at monuments and do my daily trades with my partners. That's completely fine - it's how the game was designed - but I like that you can be in a state of constant activity on IK if you choose to.

More than that, though, I like the Alliance aspect of IK a lot. I like having the opportunity to band together and build our own community, to debate and decide on our own rules, and to interact for good or for evil with other alliances, too. Alliances have a strong role in IK whereas they would be entirely pointless in NO because the gameplay is different.

Our alliance is, naturally enough, the Nile Alliance, and it is only open to current players of Nile Online :) We have ten current members and another four NO players currently building their IK embassies in order to join. If you play NO and you're looking for a relaxed, democratic alliance to join in IK with some familiar faces, you'll find yourself very welcome.

Niempie

Postby Niempie » Tue May 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I also did join Ikariam again. I hope that with some friends in an alliance it is more fun than I had 1 year ago when I played it.
When I have built my embassy I will apply for membership. I think this will be some time tomorrow.

darlingBri

Postby darlingBri » Tue May 05, 2009 6:27 pm

We actually already have a seat with the name Nubiti engraved on the back of it, waiting for you :)

darlingBri

Postby darlingBri » Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm

PS, because this is important:

The Nile Alliance is on the Ny server.

If you're not on Ny, that's fine but you can't join :(

Cazy

Postby Cazy » Tue May 05, 2009 8:54 pm

"Amun Nefer" wrote:IK has:

Roman theme ++

Rather... Greek theme ;) .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG, The Nile Alliance on Ikariam... so tempting :) .

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed May 06, 2009 3:08 am

Lol, yeah I relaized that after looking at the island names and seeing the Phalanx (really hoplites) It also explains the city-states.

Niempie

Postby Niempie » Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 am

"darlingBri" wrote:We actually already have a seat with the name Nubiti engraved on the back of it, waiting for you :)

I feel so welcome and loved :D

Return to “General Discussion”